Motorcycle Forum banner

2001 Kawasaki Zr750 Sport TROUBLE STARTING

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2001 Kawasaki Zr-750 Sport bike and I went to start it this morning (it was about 50 degrees out) I have a question about it, when I went to start it it took about ten minutes before it would finally start without shutting back off. Is this normal? After riding it for a bit it starts up with no problem. I am in fear that I bought a bike that is going to need an expensive repair. Any advice please? Thank you for reading and any help!

#2 ·
The vast majority of the time this sort of thing is simply caused by the new owner being unfamiliar with the bike, and using the wrong starting technique. Every now and then it is caused by the choke being out of adjustment.

Choke all the way on, do not touch the throttle. Should fire up. Over the next minute slowly push the choke off a little at a time, until the bike will idle without it on at all. If that does not work, look and see if the cable is attached to the carb and is moving when you move the choke lever/ pull the choke knob out" whichever you bike has- I forget at the moment. If anything seems amiss, a quick trip to the shop may be in order for an adjustment or new cable. You might want to see if there is a kawasaki sportbike forum out there, where someone else has the same model, and ask if anyone else has cold starting issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.