Motorcycle Forum banner

Another first bike thread: FZ8

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
So here is my dilemma, I am almost 20 years old and am not new to the world of two wheeled transportation. I started riding dirt bikes at age 7, and racing at age 15. So my question is this; I hear many people advising against purchasing a larger bike for their first, which I understand and completely agree with. However I am torn over if I should ignore these warnings in my first purchase. I have raced big bikes (250s and 450s) and am quite confident with my abilities on a bike, however I have never put them to the test on the road. Essentially I don't know whether this really would be my "first bike" and if the advise on forums regarding buying a larger bike (FZ8 in this case) apply to my situation. Please ignore my ignorance, I'm just trying to make a wise decision.

#2 ·
mostly that advice is aimed at folks that just started riding or havent ever ridden.,

with that much dirt experience you shouldnt have a problem controlling a larger bike. but keep in mind the fz8 is has twice the power of a cr450. and it takes a while to get used to riding next to people that seem oblivious a bike is on the road with them.

i'd still advise you to take the msf course even if it isnt mandatory. the worst case senario is it counts as your driving portion (most states) and you get a discount on insurance.

#3 ·
Too much bike for a starter even with lots of dirt experience IMHO.
Dirt riding and road riding require many different skill sets apart from each other and the thing about road riding is you can get killed real quick if you make a mistake.
probably the most important thing you need to learn is survival skills, dealing with traffic, slick spots that can put you off, far greater speeds than you attain on a dirtbike most of the time etc.etc.
Remember this, what would be a fender bender at an intersection with a car can kill you on a bike, a little sideswipe that would ding up your car can take your leg off on a bike.
Big fast bikes are tempting to ride fast and hard, not a good thing while developing the skills needed to survive in the asphalt jungle.
Just 2 cts from an old road warrior with 40+ years in the saddle and the scars to prove it.

#4 ·
So here is my dilemma, I am almost 20 years old
Yep, that's a problem alright; glad that you realize it !! :mrgreen:

Too much bike for a starter even with lots of dirt experience IMHO.
While it's true that the clutch and gears shouldn't be a problem, riding in traffic without
a "cage" around you might be.

Then your previous riding experience is worth EXACTLY nothing when it comes to getting the M
endorsement on your license OR when it comes to getting insurance on the new bike.

You may be ready to "upgrade" sooner than most but the standard advice still applies:
Small, used and inexpensive.........unless you are independently wealthy maybe.

#5 ·
I rode dirt for a decade before getting my first street bike. Trust me, riding on dirt and riding on pavement are completely different. You will have to un-learn what you know, learn and develop new skills, and fight your instincts until you have gained experience on the roads. Heck, you may not even like street riding- a lot of folks don't. Take the MSF or other instruction course, and start on a smallish, used bike. Upgrade your bike as your skills, experience, and maturity grow.

#6 ·
Expert on riding dirt bike and controlling FZ8 two different things. Before purchasing FZ8, i must advice you to first try to ride FZ8, if your friends or your relative have that. But i think you can control FZ8 if you are expert with dirt bike. difference is FZ8 is heavy and have more horse power than a dirt bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.