Motorcycle Forum banner

Should I buy this 250R???

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GreezDLightNin 
#1 ·
Hi all, I just joined and am looking forward to recieving help and giving it on this forum.
Im looking to get another bike, but im going to college so im just needing something for good gas mileage and something that will work for a couple years...Im looking at this:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle fairing

2009 United Motors v2s 250R
8k miles
needs rear brakes bled
tires 80% tread...
Ill be getting it for $1,000.

Iv not heard much about this company except that its merged with Hyosung?
Iv had 4 Kawis and 2 Suzukis, but never heard much bout UM.
So anyways, Is it a good buy? $1k is literally my top paying price due to school bills.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try to buy a clean Honda 250 rebel or 250 nighthawk. With reasonable care they are pretty much bulletproof. An older Suzuki or Kawasaki if it is in good shape might be a good choice as well. Whatever you consider be sure it runs well and has good tires, chain and etc. As a student you don't want something you will end up sinking a lot of money in to make it run reliably. Bottom line, if it needs work before you buy it I would take a pass.
I don't know much about the Hyosung or UM except parts may be an issue and there is little dealer support in some locations.

#3 · (Edited)
it'd probably be ok to scoot around campus. as long as your comfortable doing some work on it yourself. i would be really hesitant if you plan on putting alot of miles on it.

the $1000 cap is going to seriously limit your choices in a running motorcycle. my personal preference in cheap small bikes is the ninja 250.

the biggest issue your going to run into is they were only in business for a couple of years. this will lead to difficulties getting any major work done. and parts. noone really knows the longevity on those bikes.

also if your just looking for something to get around campus and the surrounding areas. there are several enduro styles yamaha xt, kawaski klx, that might be worth looking for.

#4 ·
Ok, thanks. I do know theyr sold alot outside the US and iv read if taken care of they good for runnin around. Im limited also to bikes on craigslist mainly because i cannot find anything where I live for sale. Im a HUGE Kawi fan so if i had more to spend, id go for a second 250R, mayb even a 300 just for fun. I do all the work myself that I can do..if im not sure how, i research and learn how. I loved my Ninja 250 bcause of it amazing mpgs (70) and It had the sproket changed so Its top speed was over 105. Hoping if i get this bike, it will last at least a year so I can finish school and buy another Kawi.

#5 ·
United Motors did not merge with Hyusong, and they never built a motorcycle. United Motors was a US based company that would import Hyusong motorcycles, put the more American sounding "United Motors" stickers on the tank, and resell them, as Hyusong did not have dealerships here. This arrangement lasted for several years until United Motors went bankrupt, the Hyusong decided to distribute the bikes themselves and started opening US dealerships. So that is nothing but a Hyusong with different tank stickers, and it is a model they still make, so parts availability will not be an issue. There are not a lot of Hyusong dealerships around, so there may not be one near you, but any US dealers can mail you whatever you want.

Hyusong builds a decent bike mechanically speaking. They started out building Suzuki motorcycles under license and when they went out on their own to design and build their own bikes they hired they guy who designed the engine in the Suzuki SV650 to head their engine design team. Their cruisers are frequently criticized for poor fit and finish, poor quality chrome, and other cosmetic flaws, but as this one is all plastic with no chrome to peel off the fit and finish may be acceptable to you. Take a close look at it, and if it looks and drives OK what the heck, it's only a grand. Just remember that it is a cheap little 250, not a bulletproof Kawasaki Ninja, so use it as a commuter bike and do not race or abuse it, and you should be able to get more than your money's worth out of it before it dies.

#6 ·
United Motors did not merge with Hyusong, and they never built a motorcycle. United Motors was a US based company that would import Hyusong motorcycles, put the more American sounding "United Motors" stickers on the tank, and resell them, as Hyusong did not have dealerships here. This arrangement lasted for several years until United Motors went bankrupt, the Hyusong decided to distribute the bikes themselves and started opening US dealerships. So that is nothing but a Hyusong with different tank stickers, and it is a model they still make, so parts availability will not be an issue. There are not a lot of Hyusong dealerships around, so there may not be one near you, but any US dealers can mail you whatever you want. Hyusong builds a decent bike mechanically speaking. They started out building Suzuki motorcycles under license and when they went out on their own to design and build their own bikes they hired they guy who designed the engine in the Suzuki SV650 to head their engine design team. Their cruisers are frequently criticized for poor fit and finish, poor quality chrome, and other cosmetic flaws, but as this one is all plastic with no chrome to peel off the fit and finish may be acceptable to you. Take a close look at it, and if it looks and drives OK what the heck, it's only a grand. Just remember that it is a cheap little 250, not a bulletproof Kawasaki Ninja, so use it as a commuter bike and do not race or abuse it, and you should be able to get more than your money's worth out of it before it dies.
Thanks! That was some great info. Cleared up alot for me. I test rode a Hyosung 250 cruiser and, like you said it does feel very cheap. I will only be using his to scoot around..iv had my fun on my Z1000 and Ninja 500 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.