Motorcycle Forum banner
4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  slozomby 
#1 ·
So I've been riding for about 2 years off and on, but now that I'm finally getting my license I have an ultimatum upon me. The bike I have been riding (my father's) has been offered to me me for $1700. It is a 1982 yamaha 750 maxim in pretty much mint condition. I love the bike, but I find myself starting to fall for triumphs street triple r. I just love the agility of it. I know there's a huge difference in price, but I figured with all the riders on here they could help me make a decision a little easier.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice, the one thing the yamaha has besides memories and price is I've done my research and the model seems to be rated through the roof on reliability that is something I've always worried about on newer bikes (no offense to the triumph) going through the forums I've found many who have had their maxims for 60- 90k miles. I really am leaning towards the triumph, but like I said the price, memories, and reliability have me still second guessing.

#7 ·
I've always worried about on newer bikes (no offense to the triumph) going through the forums I've found many who have had their maxims for 60- 90k miles. I really am leaning towards the triumph, but like I said the price, memories, and reliability have me still second guessing.
Actually most newer bikes are a lot more reliable than the older bikes,60-90K is no longer outstanding.
I have over 175,000 miles on my 2000 Harley so far and counting.(If Spring ever gets here :???:)

#8 · (Edited)
2 years off and on is somewhat hard to gauge. does that mean 2k, 5k, 10k+ miles? the less miles you have under your belt the more i'll lean towards sticking to the bike you know. small cheap and used for the 1st bike is my mantra. altho the maxim is a 4cylinder which i dont recommend for learning. but since you've already got some miles on it without killing yourself...

and since noone has mentioned it. if you havent taken the msf course i'd highly recommend it. i know some states dont require it. but there are some good skills to be picked up in that

which of the triples are you looking at, the 800 or 1200? have you ridden one at speed for any length of time? have you looked at the ducati monster (both the 800 and 1200) or yamaha fz-09 or suzuki sfv650, kawasaki z1000, harley vrod if your going to spend 10+k on a new bike you should look and ride everything you can.
personally while i dig the looks of the streetfighters, a fairing and windscreen are much more comfortable at interstate speeds. maybe the cbr650? fz6r, fz8 or fz1, ninja 650/1000 (ex models),

as for the price of the maxim. well finding bike that runs well, doesnt need work and you dont need to mod for under 2grand isnt the easiest task. how many miles are on it. does your dad still ride it, does he have other bikes he rides. is that figure the down payment on something to replace the maxim.

and dont forget to figure in the insurance costs of a new 10k sport bike. depending on age and the bike that you choose that may be a deal breaker.

#9 ·
2 years off and on is somewhat hard to gauge. does that mean 2k, 5k, 10k+ miles? the less miles you have under your belt the more i'll lean towards sticking to the bike you know. small cheap and used for the 1st bike is my mantra. altho the maxim is a 4cylinder which i dont recommend for learning. but since you've already got some miles on it without killing yourself...and since noone has mentioned it. if you havent taken the msf course i'd highly recommend it. i know some states dont require it. but there are some good skills to be picked up in thatwhich of the triples are you looking at, the 800 or 1200? have you ridden one at speed for any length of time? have you looked at the ducati monster (both the 800 and 1200) or yamaha fz-09 or suzuki sfv650, kawasaki z1000, harley vrod if your going to spend 10+k on a new bike you should look and ride everything you can. personally while i dig the looks of the streetfighters, a fairing and windscreen are much more comfortable at interstate speeds. maybe the cbr650? fz6r, fz8 or fz1, ninja 650/1000 (ex models), as for the price of the maxim. well finding bike that runs well, doesnt need work and you dont need to mod for under 2grand isnt the easiest task. how many miles are on it. does your dad still ride it, does he have other bikes he rides. is that figure the down payment on something to replace the maxim. and dont forget to figure in the insurance costs of a new 10k sport bike. depending on age and the bike that you choose that may be a deal breaker.
Thanks for the advice, I've ridden about 3k miles on the bike and it's currently at 18k miles on the bike. I have decided to go with the yamaha, mostly from a personal view, but also if I make any mistakes while I'm a beginner still I'd prefer a slightly used bike to damage. Although I can afford the triple street currently, I am not the most financially "stable" so financing as well as insurance may run me into some kinks. Also there will always be a new naked bike to upgrade to, but I'm hoping to keep this yamaha in the family a while. As for my dad he has an 84 and an 85 gulping so he's set, he's just recovering what he spent on the bike. Well thanks again guys for the help. I'll post some pics shortly. Does anybody know where I can get some decent gear however? The one place that's local for me is known quite well for ripping people off. I have a full face helmet already, but I was wondering about the other gear I read about in the mcf course, the jacket, pant, boots etc. Thanks again guys!

#10 ·
leatherup and revzilla are normally where i buy stuff. read the comments on stuff when buying online as sizing varies between brands.

depending on the weather in your area you might need more than 1 jacket. or a jacket with many layers that can be removed/added as needed. i wear a leather jacket for most of the year. unless its under 45 or over 90. then i switch to the cold suit ( a 1 piece insulated suit) or the mesh jacket.

for pants i do jeans with kevlar reinforcement ( several good brands out there) and chaps for when its cold or wet or long rides. while this combo doesnt protect as well as a full blown race or overpant. im happy with the compromise.

boots i just use a good pair of workboots. i prefer redwings. you'll want something that goes over your ankle, has a decent oil resistant sole and is a single material on the sides.

and some gloves. basically anything that are well constructed work. i wear a pair of light alpine stars most of the time. and some insulated gloves when its cold. i dont recommend fingerless ( i see people with them all the time) but after seeing what concrete does to flesh i prefer a full glove.

ps sizing on gear is odd. you may wander into the place you dont like and try stuff on at least. i do try and spend some money locally because if everyone bought solely online the local shops would close up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.