Motorcycle Forum banner

First Bike Suggestions

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying my first bike either this season or next. I'm 20 years old, with a responsible head on my shoulders, and I'm not an idiot. For that reason, I'm really looking at staying under 500cc for my first bike, but really, the smaller the better. Now it would be very easy for me to find a 250 sportbike, but those don't exactly fit my style. I really like the look of the SV650, but I don't feel confident in having that as my first bike. I have absolutely zero riding experience, not even on a dirt bike, and I don't plan on injuring myself because I bought a bike way out of my league. So my question is, what bikes would fit my skill level, but have looks similar to the sv650? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

PS. Oh, and sorry about creating yet another "first bike post". It's just a unique situation where I don't have the ability to solve it with google.

#2 ·
I really like the look of the SV650, but I don't feel confident in having that as my first bike.
Welcome to the forum.

Have you actually visited any multi-brand dealers yet......or an independent used bike shop ??
Where are you located ??

There are several cruiser and standard style 250 machines out there.
A couple are even twins; one looks pretty much like it'd bigger cousins, the Virago 250 I think.

Your "situation" really isn't that unique. Read to the other posts on the subject and just substitute
something like Suzuki GZ 250 everywhere you see the Ninja 250/300 mentioned.

AND....as mentioned in those other threads: Don't get too hung up on getting EXACTLY the style of bike
that you think you want on the first go-around. This is your first bike, not your last.

#8 ·
There are several cruiser and standard style 250 machines out there.
A couple are even twins; one looks pretty much like it'd bigger cousins, the Virago 250 I think.

Your "situation" really isn't that unique. Read to the other posts on the subject and just substitute
something like Suzuki GZ 250 everywhere you see the Ninja 250/300 mentioned.
i would recommend against the gz250. they're hard to find. they're harder to sell when your ready to upgrade. the ninja 250 is pretty much a standard with fairings. and there are a ton of them out there.

odds of you keeping a 250 for more than a year are pretty low ( unless you only do city riding). so just get something cheap that runs and your comfortable riding. then when your ready to buy something more permanent worry about styling. if it really bugs you it takes very little effort to make a ninja 250 a streetfighter like the sv,

if that's not close enough then the suzuki gw250 or hyosung gt250 or honda cb500f.

#3 ·
I haven't been to any dealerships to take a look, as I'm really just starting my search. I'm located in Auburn Hills, MI, which is right by Detroit.

Style is definitely not my number one concern, but if I have the option, I'm going to find a bike that I really like the looks of. I just really dislike mid-2000 250 sportbikes, which are the years that would be in my price range. I'm also not a huge fan of the cruiser style like those you mentioned. However, I really like the Buell Blast and SV650. The Blast actually seems like a decent option, despite having a larger displacement than I've been looking for. I'm just looking for suggestions to see if I can find one that suits my style and is a good first bike.

#4 ·
I'm also not a huge fan of the cruiser style like those you mentioned.
Your first bike is a learning tool.
You don't have to like the "style".

Fit and comfort and ease of handling are WAY more important.
IF.....you can't break away from being stuck on the LOOK as your most important selection criteria, then you might be starting to ride for the wrong reasons.

Good luck in your search.

#5 ·
It's not that at all. I would have no problem starting on any of the bikes I said I don't like. However, why would I ride a bike that I don't like the look of if I can find something that is a just as good of a bike for a beginner but I love how it looks? Appearance is not my main priority, but I'm going to explore the options that I have.

#6 ·
The Buell Blast is an excellent starter bike, used by many classes and courses to teach people to ride. Very light, very manageable, and despite the size difference it makes the same horsepower as the Ninja 250 because it is only a single-cylinder engine. When considering a model look past the simple engine displacement number, and consider things like horsepower, weight, seat height, and engine configuration. But really, considering buying a bike before you have ever actually ridden ANY motorcycle is silly. How do you know you can do it? How do you know you will like it? How do you know what will and won't be comfortable for you? How do you know what type of riding you will enjoy so you get the right type bike? Take a class to learn how to ride- a pretty big percentage of those who take one decide riding is not for them. If you like putting around the parking lot, finish the class and get your license. Rent a dirtbike. Rent a scooter. Rent a small streetbike. Test drive some different types of models at a dealership. This will help you figure out what you like, what you are good at, and thus what kind of bike you want.

#7 ·
I agree wholeheartedly. I guess I didn't realize how much I would have to ride before I decided what I would like. Unfortunately, I can't take a rider course for a while now. I'm a permanent resident of New York, but pretty much live in Michigan because of work and school. When I go home, it's only for a week or two at a time. I'm the type of person that likes to plan far in advance though, so I am just doing my research now in order to have a better idea of what's available to me for when the time comes. Thanks for the advice.

#12 ·
I think both those understandings are wrong.
If different by state, the differences would be very minor.
And I've never heard ANYBODY say you needed a permit before taking the course.
If you are really serious, contact the MSF folks in Michigan.

I am assuming that you would get some kind of certificate upon completion, which you could
take to the NY DMV, take the written test and get your M endorsement. Assuming.

#13 ·
Ironjoey - My parents are still claiming me as a dependent, so I can't get a license outside of New York. Also, I wouldn't be able to have a permanent address in Michigan. I'm going to school for mechanical engineering, and my school is heavily co-op based, so we run really weird terms. I have class for 11 weeks, get a week or two off, and then I go and work for 11 weeks. We do this twice a year, so I literally never have a permanent home address in Michigan. Also, I work for Chrysler now and will most likely stay with them when I graduate, so I won't be moving back to New York. It's stupid that I can't change my residence to Michigan, but that's life sometimes.

Easy Rider - I'll check with both DMV's, and if I can do that, it would be awesome. This is something I've wanted to do for a while, and I finally have the means to support getting a motorcycle.

#14 ·
I finally have the means to support getting a motorcycle.
Great. Hope this works out for you OK.

Time for one of my "soapbox" speeches: :roll:

"Having the means" isn't the same as "having the money".
That sounds like you now have the means to make payments on a loan.
NOT a good way to start off your riding career.......or even your LIFE for that matter.
One should not take out a loan to pay for your "toys".
But they don't teach you that in school.

So, while you are getting this all figured out, start saving so that you really WILL have the means.
A decent used bike can often be had for $1500 to 2000........that often can be sold a year of so later
for what you paid for it, if it is still in good shape.

And if you can't save up $1500 in 6 months or so, then you really do NOT have the means to make payments either.

#15 ·
When I say I have the means, I mean I actually have the means and not that I have to get a loan to afford a bike. Also, and I know this has nothing to do with motorcycles, but I don't understand the fear everyone has of loans. There is a vast difference between a loan to buy a house and a loan to buy a bike. Small loans are completely manageable if you pay them off as quickly as possible and try to cover your interest as it builds. By the time I pay off my student loans, which really aren't going to be that bad compared to what a lot of students end up with, I shouldn't have payed much more than what I took out. Compound interest is only a problem if you let it actually compound.

#16 ·
but I don't understand the fear everyone has of loans.
It is because it often starts a bad, BAD habit of buying most anything you want as long as "they" will give you credit to do it.
Soon you find that you can't keep up with the minimum payments on everything.

That is a generic "you" as it sounds like the real you actually has things pretty well figured out.

Think just for a moment though about what kind of situation you would be in if you couldn't find a job after school for.....oh say 3 years.
Flipping burgers at McD's won't pay off student loans.

#17 ·
That's why I chose a field where I will do well immediately out of school. I'm specializing in automotive, which is in very high demand right now. My school literally has more positions available than students to fill them. Also, Chrysler keeps their co-op employees on after they graduate and pays for grad school with no requirement of how long you stay with the company.

#18 ·
That's why I chose a field where I will do well immediately out of school.
That's a good plan but you need to do just a tiny bit of "what if" planning too.

Not to dwell on it, mind you, but just consider for a moment every time you make a financial decision what effect that
transaction might have on your future IF things don't work out the way you had planned.

Like for instance........live a bit BELOW your means instead of a bit above like a lot of people get into the habit of doing.
SAVE from every paycheck, even now.
Savings will tide you over the rough spots, if there are any, but debt KILLS you if/when the unexpected happens.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.