Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    harley

Motorcycle Sales

Interesting news coming out of Bangkok today: Motorcycle sales/registration is down 20% for the year already! Interested to hear thoughts on why that is and how the U.S. market is fairing. Does anyone know?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2007 M50
    I'm taking a paycut this year that is worth the value of a new midsize cruiser. 8700 people world wide lost their jobs with the corporation. That's what I think it is.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    First quarter numbers for the US market will not come out for another 6 weeks, but some early figures for January look good in the US. Harley, BMW, and Victory report increased sales over last January in the 11- 12% range; Honda slight gains, Suzuki and Kawasaki flat, and Yamaha a slight drop. Figures for a single month really do not show us anything though: these increases in sales may be a sign of a recovering economy, or they may be the result of special financing and the unseasonably warm weather across most of the US this January, and thus are simply 'robbed' from later months because people are simply buying earlier than usual.

Europe looks dismal. 2011 was the worst year in a decade, with sales now almost 40% below those of 2007, the last year before the slide started.

We'll have to wait until the january, February, and March numbers are compiled in mid-April before we really see how this year is going.

As for the news from Bangkok, Thailand, you have to remember that Thailand sufferedthe worst floods in 70 years during October and November. It killed hundreds, and even 4 months later almost 200,000 people are still out of work. The entire nation's economy shrank 9% last quarter of 2011, with heavy disruption to most industries. I doubt there are many motorcycles available in the dealerships, let alone people willing to step up and buy them right now.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    I knew Thailand was hit pretty hard, but 70 years hard in a region that has annual flooding to begin with, yikes.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Read Harley's numbers today. 4th quarter 2011 was up almost 11% over 2010, and for the whole year sales of motorcycles were up 5.9% and company earnings doubled from 2010. US on-road motorcycle sales were up 1.8% for 2011, so Harley did much better than the industry as a whole.

2012 projections look good for Harley. So far the warm spring has boosted sales 11% compared to last year, and Harley conservatively expects a 4-5% increase for the whole year over last year.

Harley Davidson can expect to continue to dominate the US market. For 2011 there were 336,992 street-legal motorcycles sold; Harley Davidson sold 222,110 of them. That gives them a 56% market share of on-road motorcycles as a whole, even though they do not make a dual sport or a sport bike. If you look just at cruisers and touring bikes, Harley Davidson has approximately a 75% market share, with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW, Triumph, Can-Am, Victory, and Moto Guzzi combining to make up the other 25%.

The outlook does not look so rosy for the industry as a whole. They expect another modest increase in the 1-2% range for on road motorcycles, but off road motorcycles and ATV sales dropped by 13.5% for 2011, and are expected to continue to slide this year. The largest grown area (in terms of bikes sold) is expected to be in the heavyweight (651cc and larger) on road class, with sales expected to increase in the 5-6% range, and in the dual-sport segment (which is small but showed a 14% increase last year). The larger, more expensive bikes are selling better than the cheaper ones (with the exception of dual-sports), as those with less money to spend choose not to buy at all right now. So companies like Harley Davidson, BMW, Ducati, and Victory are expected to do better than industry average, while the Japanese big four will probably continue to struggle in the US.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    wow, I am part of the few, the metric, the sports cruiser segment.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    harley fatbob 42mpg $15000
    honda civic dx 42mpg $15000

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    harley fatbob 42mpg $15000
    honda civic dx 42mpg $15000
    That is quite possibly the best argument I have ever seen for buying a Harley.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    If I remember correctly the Harley requires premium fuel, that would make the Civic cheaper to operate as it only requires regular.

Fun factor on the bike... priceless!
    Last edited by old codger; 03-24-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2007 M50
    But the insurance would be cheaper on the Harley.

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    99 Suzuki Marauder
    But the maintenance would be cheaper with the Honda

Joe

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    How many beers can you get for $15,000?

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDarker View Post
    How many beers can you get for $15,000?
    Milwaukee's beast or real beer?

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    You're inferring nothing much good comes out of Milwaukee? Surely not.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDarker View Post
    You're inferring nothing much good comes out of Milwaukee? Surely not.
    absolutely not,just at $4 a 6 of talls you can get a heck of alot of beast for $15k.

Ads