I made this website to help other avoid traffic jams
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    Honda Hornet

I made this website to help other avoid traffic jams

Hi,

Nobody likes traffic jams right, so I made this app while I was on sick leave. It's free, and with it you can submit your route to help others avoid traffic jams on their daily commute.

(link removed pending comment from author)

John
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 01-09-2017 at 05:31 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Not sure how useful this will be .......since there are other real time traffic programs in existence already that seem to work pretty good.....including Google and Waze.

Moderators report:
    It looks innocent enough at the moment but you should be aware that it is hosted outside of North America.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Administrator

I tend to agree with you, Easy. Given the "first post" status here, I'd tend to see this as spamming an app, rather than offering anything useful to our members.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Fixed. He probably won't be back.
    I like to give a little rope.......sometimes.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I have often thought these things to have dubious value....if every one takes the alternative routes then surely the traffic jam moves to those?...
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Yep. Unless you are one of the first to take the "detour", you might be worse off.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Google maps real time updating has definitely come in handy a couple times. There's really no way you could be worse off esp. when you're getting real time updates. You know ahead of time that traffic is jammed, how the heck will riding into that traffic benefit you? The more people who split off ease congestion for those who just ride their usual route and both of you get to where you're going faster. I haven't used Waze but that app is very popular and it wouldn't stay popular if it stopped working.
    That said, I don't see how a new app is gonna be any improvement over existing apps like Google maps and Waze. You'd have to do something really brilliant and innovative to beat those guys.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    There's really no way you could be worse off esp. when you're getting real time updates. You know ahead of time that traffic is jammed, how the heck will riding into that traffic benefit you?
    YOu haven't thought this through.

Living in a big city like Atlanta, it should be fairly obvious.

A MAJOR accident closes all but one lane of I-75/85 through downtown.
    EVERYBODY bails out on the exits.
    ALL of the side streets immediately become a huge parking lot......and stay that way for HOURS.

Those who stayed on the highway got slowed way down but got through.

Unless the problem is SO BAD that all lanes will be closed for hours, you often really are better off to just stay the course.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    That's what splitting's for

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    YOu haven't thought this through.

Living in a big city like Atlanta, it should be fairly obvious.

A MAJOR accident closes all but one lane of I-75/85 through downtown.
    EVERYBODY bails out on the exits.
    ALL of the side streets immediately become a huge parking lot......and stay that way for HOURS.

Those who stayed on the highway got slowed way down but got through.

Unless the problem is SO BAD that all lanes will be closed for hours, you often really are better off to just stay the course.
    That's not how it actually works though. Not everybody is using the app, so not everyone will bail. Some people will, and the side streets will slow down a bit, but you still get home faster than if you waited through the accident like all the people who don't or can't detour in time. I have thought it through, and more importantly, seen it work. So I'll take my real life experience over your theoretical one.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    That's what splitting's for
    Not legal in 49 of the 50 US states, including mine. I do like the idea and would use it sparingly but, can't get away with it here. I've seen bikers pulled over for trying that.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    That's not how it actually works though. So I'll take my real life experience over your theoretical one.
    I'm sorry but I don't buy your conclusion......based on a LOT of real life experiences. (About 55 years worth.)

Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Indy, Tampa, Orlando, DFW, Phoenix.....and a lot of others.

App or no, if a significant number of people head for the exits, the odds are that they will be worse off than those who stay the course.

Of course, each situation varies.......and there is no right answer that fits ALL of them.

Part of the problem here is: Once you make your choice, you usually have no gauge of what would have happened if you made the OTHER choice.
    Unless you turn on the 7PM news and find that the freeway is still closed. Thankfully that doesn't happen often.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't buy your conclusion......based on a LOT of real life experiences. (About 55 years worth.)

Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Indy, Tampa, Orlando, DFW, Phoenix.....and a lot of others.

App or no, if a significant number of people head for the exits, the odds are that they will be worse off than those who stay the course.

Of course, each situation varies.......and there is no right answer that fits ALL of them.

Part of the problem here is: Once you make your choice, you usually have no gauge of what would have happened if you made the OTHER choice.
    Unless you turn on the 7PM news and find that the freeway is still closed. Thankfully that doesn't happen often.
    The app hasn't been around for 55 years so your years of previous experience aren't very useful. Technology is changing the way we do things, and it's sometimes for the better. I'm not trying to convince you to use the app, though. It honestly works out better for me if less people catch on. However, your logic fails the real world test so, there's that.

You don't seem to understand that at least some of these apps have real time updating. You can actually see the speeds that other users of the app are experiencing, in real time, along their routes, and make a more informed choice about whether or not to take a detour. So, I actually know pretty well during my ride which option will benefit me more. I'm sure there may be some valid privacy concerns in all that, people need to make their own choices. I'm satisfied with mine.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    However, your logic fails the real world test so, there's that.
    Your opinion.
    We disagree.
    Done.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Now I would have thought splitting in the US would make sense...no point waiting in line...esp if driving to work is actually like shown on a Two and a Half Men episode...although here some dont like the fact you can zip to the front and try and stop you by closing the gap.

Sponsored Links