Motorcycle Forum banner

Heat resistant Spray Paint

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mcrides 
#1 ·
I just sanded down my exhaust and exhaust manifold and sprayed about 2-3 coats of this black heat resistant spray paint. Forgot what brand it was but the can said it can withstand upward temperatures of 1200f degrees. I did this because my stainless exhaust and manifold were quite rusted and didn't want rust holes to burn right through them. What I am asking is did I do the right thing using this spray paint and it will not burn off? Also if it does work will it also help disperse the heat through the pipes and out the muffler.

btw, the can cost me about $5 but I'm too lazy to dig through the trash to check for the brand.

#2 ·
There's a few possiblities for high temp paint. Don't know how hot headers can get but I doubt the paint will help distribute the heat though.

I know there's paint specifically for headers and pipes but it's just high temp paint in my opinion.

#3 ·
There are several brands of hi-temp paint available. I found the Krylon brand at a local home improvement store. They only had black but it was for my wood stove so that's what I wanted anyway. A better brand, available in several colors, is StoveBright. You'll likely only find that where wood stoves are sold. Auto parts stores probably carry the stuff too, as header paint.

#4 · (Edited)
bookzguy said:
my stainless exhaust and manifold were quite rusted
Stainless rusting?

You sort of contradicted yourself by asking whether the paint will "disperse" the heat through the pipe. Dispersing would mean allowing it to conduct through the walls of the pipes. You want the heat to stay in the pipes, which is why you see header wraps and ceramic coatings on muscle car headers. More heat in the pipe = better flow = cooler engine temps = more power.

#6 ·
bookzguy said:
I just sanded down my exhaust and exhaust manifold and sprayed about 2-3 coats of this black heat resistant spray paint. Forgot what brand it was but the can said it can withstand upward temperatures of 1200f degrees. I did this because my stainless exhaust and manifold were quite rusted and didn't want rust holes to burn right through them. What I am asking is did I do the right thing using this spray paint and it will not burn off? Also if it does work will it also help disperse the heat through the pipes and out the muffler.
Any high temp paint for metal use should work fine on headers. If your steel headers are rusting, this will protect them. Theoretically, paint acts as an insulator vs a bare pipe (though a very small insulator). So, if anything, it should help keep exhaust gas temps high for good extraction efficiency.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/g3-gloves.htm
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.