Motorcycle Forum banner

Hard starting

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello out there,
I have a 2003 Suzuki Marauder 250 that is very hard to start.I have new fuel in the tank I also checked and I have spark but, I did notice the plug is black.The bike turns over several times and kicks a little but quikly stalls.When it is cold out the bike won't kick at all.When it does first start on a warmer day I give it a little throttle and it stalls right away.I try to start it 2 or 3 times more before it will stay going and, then I have to hold the throttle open a bit until it warms up. ???Please help ???

Thanks Bumper

#2 ·
I have a 2003 Suzuki Marauder 250 that is very hard to start.

I did notice the plug is black.
Welcome.

Seems like those bikes are prone to carb "gum", especially if not ridden regularly; mine was.

Some suggestions:
Change the plug.
Check/change the air filter.
Run some carb cleaner through with the gas; Berryman's B12 Chemtool is good.
Did you drain the carb bowl when you changed the fuel?
Did you actually drain the fuel or just run it down to mostly empty?

AND maybe most importantly, you didn't mention the choke.

Some choke is necessary to start those bikes when "cold" ......and necessary to keep it on a bit until it warms up. Unless the weather is REAL cold, about 3/4 choke should do the trick......and then lower it a bit at a time to keep it from idling too fast. When the choke is down to about 1/4, you should be able to ride off.

Also do NOT twist the throttle while trying to start.

And, now that you have tried a few times, the battery is probably low.
The little beast does not like a low battery either so you might need to charge it now.

Another good resource:

Suzuki GZ250 Forum - Index page

#3 ·
Hard starting Marauder 250

Hello again,
I would like to add some more info about the hard starting 250 Marauder.The little gas that was lleft in the tank was fairly new.I filled the tank up with fresh gas and added Sta-bil.I plan on storing the bike in a garage for the winter so I wanted to run the bike for a bit to circulate the Sta-bil.When I tried to start the bike with the choke all the way out it wouldn't kick.I tried this about four more times and it kicked once or twice but, did not take off.I tried several more times after that with no kick.I can try to start it about 5 times before the battery dies and I have to re-charge it.Thanks for the info so far I just wanted to post more to cover all bases.

#4 ·
The little gas that was lleft in the tank was fairly new.I filled the tank up with fresh gas and added Sta-bil.
Well, that answered one question but a few are left.

Sometimes MAX choke is too much. Sometimes Stabil makes it even harder to start.

Was the bike running before you added gas and Stabil ??
How much Stabil did you use ??
I've had a couple of bikes where even the recommended amount made them hard to start and run rough.

If the tank had been mostly empty for very long, you might have water in the bottom of the tank AND the float bowl.

I think you said the plug was black. Did you change it ??

The combination of a dirty plug, too much choke and too much Stabil could certainly cause it not to start.

P.S. You don't want to run the battery way down too many times and don't leave it discharged very long either. Those things can decrease your battery capacity and life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.