Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1986 Suzuki Intruder

86 Intruder 700 - gas mileage & cooling fan question (new rider)

Hey,

It's my first bike and I'm still "learning".

Can anyone tell me "approx" how many miles I can get on a full tank? Everything is stock. Just had the carbs done, too.

and also, I've noticed my TEMP light coming on.... THEN the fan kicks on. shouldn't the fan just kick on before the light has to come on? i'm thinking something's not right.

thx

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Can anyone tell me "approx" how many miles I can get on a full tank?

And also, I've noticed my TEMP light coming on.... THEN the fan kicks on. shouldn't the fan just kick on before the light has to come on? i'm thinking something's not right.

thx
    You do have a REServe position on the gas valve (P e t c o c k), don't you ?
    And you know what that is for, right ?
    Set the trip ODO to zero and fill the tank.
    Set the gas valve to ON or RUN.
    Ride until it sputters; switch to REServe; note the reading on the ODO.
    Stop at a gas station and fill up; you should have at least 20 miles to do that.
    Return the valve to the normal position and reset the ODO.
    In the future when you start nearing that mileage, you know it's time to find a station.

As for the TEMP thing, you are right.
    It might just mean that the coolant level is low in the radiator itself (not the overflow bottle).
    Washing out the fins might help too.
    You have checked the coolant in the bottle, right ??

I'm guessing that you could have all of the "wear" components changed along with a flush for less than $200.
    That is, pressure cap, thermostat, fan switch, temp light sender and hoses.
    Don't forget the hose going to the overflow bottle.

If there is a slight leak in one of the hoses, the fix might be a LOT less than $200.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    The small Intruder holds 3.2 gallons, and you should be getting about 40 MPG on today's ethanol added fuel. You'll have to flip to the reserve setting when you have about 3/4 of a gallon left. So you'll go about 95 miles before sputtering, then another 30 before you run dry. My mileage varied on my three Intruders, but 90-105 miles before hitting reserve was the usual, depending on what kind of riding I was doing and how much ethanol was in the mix.

I have owned 3 small Intruders over the last 25 years, and I never once had the temp light come on with any of them. The fan should cycle as needed to prevent overheating. As EZ said, you have a problem. Check for leaks, check the operation of the thermostat (it may not be opening properely, causing the water in the engine to overheat well before the water in the radiator get hot enough to trigger the fan), check the fluid level (a low level will make th temp sending unit not touch the hot water). You may need a temp sending unit, the little switch that controls the fan. Get the Clymer manual for this model- it will be money well spent, and you really need it on this model: Intruders have funny cooling systems, with a hidden overflow bottle, a thermostat in a funny location behind a cover at the bottom of the bike, part of the frame being used as a radiator hose, and the radiator bleed vent located on the frame near the steering neck. So it's not like working on a car.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Ads