Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

problems with gs850 after dynojet stage 3 install

So I just finished installing the dynojet stage 3 on my 82 suzuki gs850. Followed the directions explicitely. Needle notch on 3rd down from top, using the 165 mains supplied in the kit, with the idle screws backed out 4 1/2 turns. Now after installing as soon as i start the bike it immediately redlines and I have to kill it. Its like it is stuck in wide open throttle. The throttle cable is not stuck open and i can twist the throttle just like normal. Any suggestions?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by cangeceiro View Post
    Its like it is stuck in wide open throttle.
    Then it probably IS......at the carbs.
    Or something is not put back together right and fuel is dumping in without being metered by the jets.

THIS is why I encourage those without carb experience to think twice......or maybe a dozen times.....before they go tearing things apart.

And just for curiosity, why were you doing that in the first place ??

I dont doubt its the carbs at all, and I have plenty of experience dealing with stock carbs, this is just my first dynojet overhaul. Also checked the butterflies and they are completely closed, put the idle screws completely shut and it brings down the rpm to a point I can let the motor run for a bit longer, but still not better. I suspect a leak somewhere, covering up the air intake on the carb also produced better results. When I was able to get the rpm down to an acceptable level twisting the throttle had no effect. spraying starter fluid over the intake manifold also yielded no results so I dont suspect the issue is with that.

i did it in the first place because I am running open headers and pods on this bike. I normally just rejet my bikes, but figured I would give the dynojet kit a try since it is recommended for a setup like mine.

ok, got it figured out, i used better lighting to look at the butterflies and they where indeed open just slightly. turns out the c clamp on the 3 cylinder was blocking the throttle from coming back all the way

My Bike(s)
    i did it in the first place because I am running open headers and pods on this bike.
    OH, so that's a drag bike that you run only at the track.......right ??

Never mind.

stage 7 kits are for drag bikes, dont be a %%%%%

My Bike(s)
    stage 7 kits are for drag bikes, dont be a %%%%%
    Those who run open headers on the street are the %%%%%%%.

Have a nice day. Innocent bystanders subjected to your bike probably won't.

My Bike(s)
    '81 Suzuki GS850G

GS850 rejet

Holy Smokes. That guy's not very helpful. I was looking for some jet settings and found your post. I'm new to this forum, but I can recomend the GSResources for any GS questions. There are a few grumpy old farts on there, but at least they offer some useful information while they gripe. What can I say, some people are only interested in spreading their misery. Now, back to bikes. I am also using a stage 3 kit, and am curious if you have the Pilot jets 4 1/2 turns out. It doesn't seem to be working out for me, and I'm a little weary as they only have 5 turns on them. Also, curious what your needle clip setting is. Thans

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    My guess is the slides are stuck, probably something to do with the needle jet. If you look insidem you might find that to be a problem. Mine did that although they are carbs with throttles and vacuum slides. I don't know about yours but you may need to replace the needle jet holder or heat it and bend it.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    So I just finished installing the dynojet stage 3 on my 82 suzuki gs850. Followed the directions explicitely. Needle notch on 3rd down from top, using the 165 mains supplied in the kit, with the idle screws backed out 4 1/2 turns. Now after installing as soon as i start the bike it immediately redlines and I have to kill it. Its like it is stuck in wide open throttle. The throttle cable is not stuck open and i can twist the throttle just like normal. Any suggestions?

by top do you mean the pointy end or the flat end of the needle?

Ads