2002 VL1500 Wiring Diagram
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    1998 Suzuki Marauder VZ800

2002 VL1500 Wiring Diagram

Hello All,
    I am looking for a service manual or at least the electrical wiring diagram to help my neighbor troubleshoot his bike.

The bike is totally dead. No lights, starter, nothing. Battery is new, fuses are good, etc.

Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C90 & C50T
    Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Be sure to point your neighbor to the forum when you can...we are only too glad to help if we can.

No doubt either he's popped the 30 amp main relay fuse or the starter relay itself is toast (located under the left faux tank cover)...either or both are possible and common actually. Everything runs through that relay. If you decide to replace the relay, be sure to only buy the OEM relay. Cheaper aftermarket relays have proven to not hold up...some only 3 weeks, some not even that long. This is one part it pays to buy the OEM replacement part.

There is a back up 30 amp fuse stored right next to the primary relay...just pop the cover of the relay and try the fuse first. By the way, if he's never "skinned" the bike before probably good he learn. It's not hard once it's been done a time or two. Post up if you need help with that. Here is where the relay is (Green cover).

Here are some links you are looking for:

LC Wiring Diagram from Service Manual.pdf

LC Service Manual Link

You'll find a .zip file download of the service manual, parts manual, owners, manual, and many many cool mods for the LC HERE also.

The VL1500 LC (1998-2004) and C90 (2005-2009) are very easy bikes to work on and real work horses. They could use a little help with the charging system though. There are some very simple and inexpensive mods most of us have done that are very effective in giving the battery the best charge it can get...and make the bike more reliable. If you find the bike hard to start etc. post up and let us know...I'll post more links with specific instructions (step by step) that'll walk you through the fixes.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Larry

My Bike(s)
    1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500
    Hi Larry,
    My bike stopped working... turned key on (lights came on), hit kill switch and hit start button. Results: Nothing, no cranking no clicking, no noise.
    Took the left cover off cleaned connections on starter relay... still nothing! Moved the wiring around going from the relay to the black box (where all the wires go into, in your pic it's the one that says DYNA w/ the 3 connectors, I don't know the name of it) and WAMMO the bike made noise and the bike started (when I hit the start button)!!!!! Can you give me an idea of what it could be??? I didn't see any broken/burned wires and the bike did run fine afterward, but I'm sure it's going to do it again, only on the road!!!!! Yikes!!!!
    Thanks,
    John

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by lingmeister View Post
    Hi Larry,
    Welcome to the forum.
    This thread was active in 2014 so Larry is probably long gone.
    Hopefully someone else can help.

Sounds like a bad connection. Re-seating all the connectors in the area might help.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500
    Thanks Easy Rider! Would you suggest that I use die-electric grease on all connectors?????
    Thanks!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by lingmeister View Post
    Thanks Easy Rider! Would you suggest that I use die-electric grease on all connectors?????
    Thanks!
    Probably not necessary as they are protected from the elements pretty good.
    Di-electric grease is an INSULATOR; if you get it inside a connection that is already weak it will just make matters worse.

But spraying with some contact cleaner might be a good idea......and then unplugging and plugging a few times.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links