Intruder Reincarnation - A Build Thread
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX

Intruder Reincarnation - A Build Thread

This project started in early 2015 as a maintenance/problem solver for a local kid, being referred to me by a friend's daughter. I told him it was burning oil, most likely needing piston rings, and to keep an eye on the oil level. Did he listen? ... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight >>> I bought it from him last January (2016) for $200.

I found another engine from a VX800, did some modifications and brought the bike back to stock. She was a very nice looking and riding scoot. I advertised her for 3 weeks, all the meantime contemplating more I wanted to do. So be it.

Since I finished the CB900C (another build thread) I began work on this 98 Suzuki Intruder 800. The following pics are simply the before shot with blown engine and the finished shot when I had her advertised. She needed some paint touch-ups and a redo on the front fender as well.

Before (well, kinda during):

Finished?:

Not having much action on sale, I took her down and started putting my thoughts to fruition. It's not over the top, but my goal was to mimic a simplistic muscle car without being tacky, Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang. Yes, I used the factory color Highland Green from the '68 Ford Mustang book. More pics can be seen here: Intruder by Scott | Photobucket

The first thing I started with was that derned ugly rear fender. To me, it's a monstrosity. I'm a solo rider and I hate the aesthetics of a two seat ... just me. I'm so strapped for money I had to make use of what I have for the most part. I opted to chop the fender down and modify it a bit. I also added a limp-dick tail light and some smaller turn indicators. I did not want to hard-tail this bike and found some Harley Progressive shocks on Ebay from a guy who only installed them and didn't like them. They are ultra stiff which is fine because it gets my fender gap real tight. Here's some process pics of thought, fitment and design:

Last edited by AcedIt; 02-17-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    "Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Moving on, I did some measurements and found a good inexpensive seat. Fabricated a bracket, drilled holes through the upper frame and welded nuts on the inside for the bracket to be easily installed/removed.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Then it was lots of disassembly (again) and off to the powder coater.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Now, if you think for a second I really wanted to remove that engine for a third time well ... I entertained the idea, but ... nope. I spent a couple hours masking and ensuring every little part of that frame got painted. I stripped the tank completely due to the two-tone leveling. As previously stated this IS the factory color Highland Green from the '68 Ford Mustang book. I used PPG paints and primer after thoroughly sanding the frame. For the wheels I wanted a deep-dish look, similar to that of the Bullitt Mustang. I first scuff the areas to be painted using 400 sandpaper and/or steel wool. Degreasing is next and I've used Formula 88 for decades but now use Superclean (purple jug). Superclean is extremely powerful and can be watered down to reduce it's damaging qualities to plastic and/or painted surfaces. After a thorough water rinse I hit them with compressed air and let them sit usually overnight to ensure all the water is evaporated and not hiding in the spoke nipple areas. Then I mask the design using 3M striping tape and paper off the rest of the no paint areas. I use etching primer first for additional bite into the scuffed chrome areas followed by regular primer and then top coat in this case as it's a single stage Hot Rod flat black (actually a low sheen). The trick too is gradually rotating the wheel while tap-spraying between the spokes to get the center hub and backs of the spokes. Too much, it'll drip ... too little, not enough coverage.

Last edited by AcedIt; 02-17-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Had some ideas for the front fender. I initially repainted it to OEM and thought maybe I should just sell that and use another old Harley fender I had, fabricating a bracket. Nah. I stripped and cut down the stock one, relocating the mounting holes to lower it closer to the tire. Then painting it flat black.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    I made some simple drag bars bending some pull back into them. But I really wanted chrome as an accent, so I opted to purchase a nice one. This picture also shows me test fitting some switch housing ideas I printed on my buddy's 3D printer. This is not the one I'm using, nor the location. The pic also shows the new grips.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Let's step back a bit on the history of this build (and rebuild), regarding the engine. Like I said, the original engine was blown, a '98 VS800 with about 18K miles - spun rod bearings, scored cams, etc. Really, not worth a rebuild considering time and parts. So I searched for another good engine. I had found one from an '01 (if I recall) with only 6K miles but the seller wanted $1200. ... Um, no. So I found another from an older model, a '91 VX800. Yes, I said "VX". It's the same engine with some slight differences. One and the most obvious is the engine mounts on top of the rocker covers. I figured I can modify those no problem. The other few differences were converting the cable clutch of the VX to the fluid clutch of the VS, and using the larger stator assembly of the VX which meant a different side cover. The benefit of this is that the engine was $600, only a few hundred miles north of me and I worked out a deal in that shipping on a pallet was included. Good deal. An ironic part too is that the VX had roughly the same miles (18K) as the VS and it being older it relatively works out to be "less" miles, haha.

Cutting the mounts was not difficult, but I found they weren't solid. Bummer, as I got some aluminum shavings down in the engine. But really not a problem as I flushed it all out after. I made hole caps from simple sheet aluminum and drilled attaching holes. A not so welcome surprise was that the rocker covers had to be shaved down on one side each in order to accommodate the decorative covers of the VS. Then I had to drill new mounting holes for the covers. It probably looks more scary in the pics than what it was.

The stator on the VX is a bit more powerful and instead of swapping out the entire drum I changed out the side cover. It's a little silly that Suzuki redesigned the mounting surface inside the cover, but they did. VS on left, VX on right.

The clutch slave cylinder needed to be swapped in place of the cable version. Easy to do since Suzuki did not modify the mounting surface on the engine. The one thing that needed to be done was swapping the pins as they are different sizes.

Last edited by AcedIt; 02-17-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    I scuffed and painted the header pipes with VHT Flame-Proof flat black; still need to cure them with the bike running. I'm making some heat shields for the mufflers, just to reduce the chrome a bit and no other reason. I also have a bit of wiring still to do for the new switch housings at the handlebars. Now, I've hit a snag this week because I have two projects, one pending and one new that have somehow met themselves together at this point. I have to finish a friend's Harley Iron 883 that was wrecked and has been sitting in my garage for about 9 months as he's had some personal problems and ran out of money. He now has gotten me some parts and I'm moving forward. Then, as of last night my neighbor wants me to finish her build she doesn't have time for. It's a Harley 1200 with a full custom Strong frame; I did the paint work about 5 months ago, but it looks like I'll take over the whole build to the finish. So the Suzuki is going to take a back seat for a bit.

And as of a couple weeks ago, this is how the Intruder is sitting:

This is the 883 I have in progress. I've repainted the tins and fixed a bunch of stuff from the laydown accident his friend had with it. More pics here: HD Lonny by Scott | Photobucket:

And the 1200. More pics here: HD by Scott | Photobucket :

Paint I did for the 1200 above:

Sponsored Links