Motorcycle Forum banner

GS650E Won't Idle Properly

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  kf7445 
#1 ·
Hi I am a new member. Hoping for some advice please. My GS650E, 1981, is a bit hard to start sometimes, and when idling it gives a click sound and stops. It will usually start again quite easily. It also hesitates briefly when pulling away from a stand still. The carbs were cleaned out 20,000 ks ago and the bike has not been left standing for a long period. I have cleaned out the fuel filters. The plugs have done 20,000 ks and I think the plug leads may be original. Any advice please?

#2 ·
Sounds like it's running too lean or the idle speed is set too low.......or both.
Does this happen more when the engine is COLD ??

Does it have a stock air filter in place ?
If yes, check the air pathways for leaks going into the carb.
Vacuum leaks can occur in hoses going to places like an automatic petcock too.

A dose of a good carb cleaner in the gas every 5K miles/KM is a requirement, I think.
A healthy dose now might help.
I prefer Gumout or Berryman's B12 Chemtool.

I suggest that it's due for plugs too.

#6 · (Edited)
First of all let me thank you again for your reply.
I followed your advice, and methodically checked the various items, and although the problem was not any of them, your reply definitely set me on the right track. I had cleaned the filter in the airbox and had left too much oil in the filter, thus restricting the air flow at idle. When I took the filter out it looked very wet, and I squeezed a lot of oil out of it. I kept doing this until i could squeeze no more oil out but it was still dampish, and now it idles beautifully once again at about 1100 RPM. Thank you. Good answer. Good result. Oh yes, I have bought a proprietary brand Carburetor cleaner too, and added it to the fuel. I phoned the company concerned, ( Wynns, ) and they assured me that the product was safe to use in this model bike and that it was impossible to "overdose 'the engine so i did it. All good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.