Motorcycle Forum banner

Deadly Dozen, the motorcycle safety myths and urban legends.

51K views 149 replies 59 participants last post by  saxonyrock 
#1 ·
:huh: Here is a list of = Deadly Dozen, the motorcycle safety myths and urban legends.
Will add one each day after any comments if there are any.
Myth 1: Loud Pipes Save Lives

Yeah, there are a few situations—like where you are right next to a driver with his window down who is about the to change lanes—where full-time noise-makers might help a driver notice you, but all that noise directed rearward doesn't do much in the most common and much more dangerous conflict where a car turns in front of you. Maybe it's the fatigue caused by the noise, maybe it's the attitudes of riders who insist on making annoying noise, or perhaps loud bikes annoy enough drivers to make them aggressive. Whatever the reason, the research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes. If you really want to save lives, turn to a loud jacket or a bright helmet color, which have been proven to do the job. Or install a louder horn. :banghead: Otherwise, just shut up!!! :banghead:

:biker:
:301:

#2 ·
I have only been riding for a year and the one thing that has become clear to me is that riders that have accidents always have accidents and the ones that haven't, that have been riding for years aren't likely to. I beleive that most accidents have more to do with attitude than with any other factor. Thats not to say some accidents aren't avoidable.

#3 ·
Myth 2:

:whistle:
Myth 2: Other Drivers Don't Care About Motorcyclists
It may seem hard to believe at times, but other drivers almost never actually want to hit you.
Most of those near-misses come about because they don't always know you are there, even when you are right in front of them, seemingly in plain view.
You can be obscured or completely hidden by glare, by other things on or along the road, by the cars roof pillars, the handicap hangtag, or by other traffic.
Of course, not all drivers "think motorcycles" and make the effort to look that extra bit harder to see if there might be a motorcyclist hidden by that obscuration or in their blind spot.
:fight1:
Instead of assuming that they will ignore you even when they see you, you should help make it easier for drivers to spot you, especially as the population ages and more drivers have greater difficulty in picking you out.
To overcome the fact that you might be hard to see and harder to notice, wear bright colors, especially on your helmet and jacket. Run your high beam during the day.
Think about things that can hide you and your bike from other drivers, things that can be as common as the sun behind you, the car ahead in the next lane, or a couple of roadside poles that line up on the driver's line of sight toward you.
:horse:
Make an effort to ride in or move to a location where drivers with potentially conflicting courses can see you before they stray your way.

#135 ·
:whistle:
Myth 2: Other Drivers Don't Care About Motorcyclists
It may seem hard to believe at times, but other drivers almost never actually want to hit you.
Most of those near-misses come about because they don't always know you are there, even when you are right in front of them, seemingly in plain view.
You can be obscured or completely hidden by glare, by other things on or along the road, by the cars roof pillars, the handicap hangtag, or by other traffic.
Of course, not all drivers "think motorcycles" and make the effort to look that extra bit harder to see if there might be a motorcyclist hidden by that obscuration or in their blind spot.
:fight1:
Instead of assuming that they will ignore you even when they see you, you should help make it easier for drivers to spot you, especially as the population ages and more drivers have greater difficulty in picking you out.
To overcome the fact that you might be hard to see and harder to notice, wear bright colors, especially on your helmet and jacket. Run your high beam during the day.
Think about things that can hide you and your bike from other drivers, things that can be as common as the sun behind you, the car ahead in the next lane, or a couple of roadside poles that line up on the driver's line of sight toward you.
:horse:
Make an effort to ride in or move to a location where drivers with potentially conflicting courses can see you before they stray your way.

Of course they don't want to hit you, but are they watching for you? I think not often.

#4 ·
Of course they don't want to hit you, but are they watching for you? I think not often.

#5 ·
There is also the assumption that on a bike you can stop faster, so it is ok to cut off a bike, and, unfortunately there are people out there that figure that because they are in a car, the bike doesn't have the same rights to the road. Lastly, don't forget about the "I'm bigger than him" people that plain old think bikes don't matter if they hit them.

#6 ·
I took my daughter down to the San Diego Zoo the other day. I-15 and 67 can be very busy. Most drivers encoutnered were very thoughful. They all respected the space on the Hammer. One particular Blonde in a supercrew chevy actually gave me 3 cars lengths. She only closed up to one and a 1/2 on stop lights. She also blocked most of the merging traffic. I have to admit I felt really comfortable with this driver behind me....I bet she rides or has a family member that does.

#7 ·
Myth 3:

:bat_angel: Myth 3: Motorcycle Helmets Break Necks
It seems logical—you put more weight out there on the end of your neck and when you get thrown off the bike, that extra weight will create more pendulum force on your neck. Turns out, it doesn't work that way. In fact, the energy-absorbing qualities of a DOT motorcycle helmet also absorb the energy that breaks riders' necks in impacts. Studies show that helmeted motorcyclists actually suffer fewer neck injuries when they crash compared to riders who crash without helmets. :b-rock:

#8 ·
That one's just a lame excuse for the dew rag crowd. I don't think any informed motorcyclist believes that nonsense.

#9 ·
LMAO! Helmets break necks huh! Well the guy that wrecked in front of me a month ago faired pretty damn good. Head on into a friggin boulder the size of a GEO.
With out the helmet..i would say his jaw would have been crushed and more than likely he would have died from the blunt tramua. Yet he walked away with a busted lip and a concussion.
I don't think the dew rag wearing moron with that collide with a palm tree right at the entrance of Main ST. (bike week04) ever thought that he would have died from a broken neck. His bike speed was about 10 mph upon impact. The good news though reports said..Not a scratch to his dew rag.

#11 ·
Myth 4:

Myth 4: Helmets Block Your Ability to See or Hear Danger

:mrgreen:

The thing you learn when you dig into the research is that motorcycle riders who use helmets crash less frequently than those who don't.
Maybe that happens because motorcyclists who decide to wear helmets have a better or more realistic attitude about riding.
Maybe it's because putting on a helmet is a reminder that what you are about to do can be dangerous and the act of accepting protection puts you in the right mindset.
Maybe it's because a helmet provides eye protection and cuts down wind noise so you can actually see and hear better.
Maybe its because, by cutting wind pressure and noise, a helmet reduces fatigue.

:cool:

Whatever the reasons, wearing a helmet clearly does not increase a motorcyclist's risk of having an accident and wearing one correlates to reduced likelihood of an accident.

#125 ·
Excuse me here...

Myth 4: Helmets Block Your Ability to See or Hear Danger

:mrgreen:

The thing you learn when you dig into the research is that motorcycle riders who use helmets crash less frequently than those who don't.
Maybe that happens because motorcyclists who decide to wear helmets have a better or more realistic attitude about riding.
Maybe it's because putting on a helmet is a reminder that what you are about to do can be dangerous and the act of accepting protection puts you in the right mindset.
Maybe it's because a helmet provides eye protection and cuts down wind noise so you can actually see and hear better.
Maybe its because, by cutting wind pressure and noise, a helmet reduces fatigue.

:cool:

Whatever the reasons, wearing a helmet clearly does not increase a motorcyclist's risk of having an accident and wearing one correlates to reduced likelihood of an accident.
Sorry but a full facial helmet does cut down your visibility and forces you to move your head up and down to see your mirror and speedo then refocus on the road ahead of you. So, certain helmets really do cut down on your visability.

Charlie

#12 ·
I'd swear I feel safer on my cycle than in my car most of the time.

It's almost as if people around me know that if they even just bump into me on the bike they could kill me, so usually I'm given a wide berth but protected in a car, airbags and all, I think they figure what the hell, worst that can happen is a dented fender. I'm definitely tailgated and cut off more in my car.

They probably don't give a rats ass about me personally, but I think they must fear the legal consequences of their actions more in the event of an accident when I'm on my bike.

Dan

#13 ·
Rowdy made the point

Rowdy made the point that hardly any bikers believe these urban myths/legends. I agree, but there a a lot of bikers who are goin big-time for this "loud pipes" thing. I'm pretty skeptical, but at the same time I want to get my pipes louder... so I'm going to get the drill out one of these days.
With the other myths and legends, they are just that and I don't think too many guys that I know believe in them.

#14 ·
Most of them just want justification for what's really a "lookit me" mod. There's a big difference between sounding high-performance and just being loud.

#17 ·
When I had my M50, I twice in the first month had cars come over into my lane while I was passing, seemingly having no idea that I was there. After I got pipes I rode for almost two years without that happening. Then one day a lady came over and was about to mash me into a curb. I hit my horn and she did not hear it. So I revved the snot out of it and she perked up and got back in her lane. I would say it is possible that my loud pipes saved my life.

It's an old argument and everyone will have there opinion, but I believe that ANYTHING that makes you more noticable to idiot drivers is a good thing. Plus, if your bike sounds cool AND people notice you more, then +2 for you.

Also, the argument that the sound is directed rearward and that you won't hear it until they pass I think is bogus. It may be louder as they pass, but I can absolutely hear a loud motorcycle, car, truck, or whatever coming up behind me (unless I have the stereo cranked into distortion zone, in which case I'm not gonna hear anything).

#18 ·
A few counterpoints:

1. A handful of anecdotes does not a statistical sample make. It might have been pure coincidence that you didn't get squeezed for two years after getting loud.

2. Any bike is loud enough to be heard when freely revved right next to another vehicle, regardless of the exhaust.

3. Of course you hear them - you're a motorcyclist. Non-riders hear nothing but more drone in their commute. As studies show, the reaction is more often negative from the rider's perspective.

#19 ·
I may be coincidence, but then it may not. That is one of those woulda shoulda coulda type statements, there is no way to really know. I admit that.
HOWEVER, wouldn't you agree that anything that makes you more noticable to drivers is a step in the right direction? I mean, people say "Oh, safe gear and this and that and everything else will do just as good for you," which may be true, but then the noticable sound difference would just be an added factor in people noticing you, therefore safer. I really don't care if it's only 1 out of 100 people that actually hear you and notice you; that is still one more person that I don't have to worry about. Plus, I'd much rather have loud pipes than wear a flourescent yellow vest.

As for the lady hearing me rev my bike, she sure didn't hear my horn, which is much louder than the stock pipes on my M.

#20 · (Edited)
Like I said, studies show that the reaction to loud exhaust is more often negative, meaning they panic or get angry. In that case, I'd rather go unnoticed. See what I'm saying?

The mechanism that binds the various people and their behaviors is a physiological condition known as acute stress response or "fight or flight" response. Most often induced by loud noise, flight or fight is an involuntary reaction that cannot be controlled by conscious thought. When triggered, release of the stress hormone cortisol causes an array of metabolic changes including an instantaneous increase in cardio- respiratory rates and muscle tension. The state of arousal is perpetuated by a release of dopamine, endorphines, norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenaline). Most importantly chemical releases (catecholamines) suppress activity in the area of the brain concerned with short term memory, concentration, inhibition and rational thought; 'flight or fight" reactions require spontaneity and aggression. Is this really the optimum state of mind to be in while perched atop a machine that can abruptly reach triple digit speeds with the jerk of a wrist?
NoiseOFF - Loud Motorcycles

http://www.noiseoff.org/media/proficient.motorcycling.1.pdf
http://www.noiseoff.org/media/proficient.motorcycling.2.pdf

#22 ·
I see what you're saying, and I agree.
I should clarify: earsplittingly loud, basically unbaffled pipes are bad. If your pipes are so loud that when you get next to someone they cringe and it freaks them out, causing them to brake or swerve out of panic, then you are out of line.
But make my bike loud enough that you can hear me coming. I want you to know that I am here, and not because it makes me feel cool. That's just an added bonus.

#118 ·
I agree, I believe in the loud"er" pipes save lives saying to a point, there's loud pipes and there's annoyingly loud pipes, being in the military I have to wear contrasting color/reflective gear so that part is covered, on base (off base too, but :whistle:), anyways, I got off work one morning, it was a little cloudy so no sun was impeding visibility, I was wearing an Icon orange vest, I had a red/black shadow aero 750 back then, I stopped at a red light, this lady pulls up behing me about a half cars lenght, I'm keeping an eye on everything around me incluiding her (she was cute), then as soon as the light turns green I start to release the clutch, and my bike feels like I stalled it, and I was sitting in the middle of the intersection, and in my mind, I'm thinking there's no way this bike has the power to launch forward about 10+ feet from a stall, + the bike's still running, so I look back and the pretty lady is taking her seat belt off, and can you believe that she told me she forgot I was in front of her?, that was like a kick in the balls :mad: :horse:, I guess she saw my face change from it's ok, nodody's hurt to I'm going to kill you, cause then she started to freak a little and me being the nice guy I am felt sorry, and told her it was ok as long as she had insurance. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, if my bike would've been louder, she most likely wouldn't have rammed me after being behind me for more than 10 seconds, so that was my excuse to the wife for chopping off the muffler and keeping straight pipes, but they were not annoying, since I never come out of the hole or wrapped the throttle like a jack ass. The :police: would actually ask me what kind of pipes they were cause they sounded nice (I got pulled over a couple of times at DUI check points) and I would tell them they where custom :whistle:, they never gave me grief, I sold it to a friend from work and now the bike is annoyingly loud because he grabs too much throttle pulling out, sorry for the long story but I'm working night shift and I need to stay awake ;)

#24 ·
i did drill my pipes (6 quarter inch holes in the rear baffle) I just wanted a bit more sound for my own gratification. To me it sounds a little deeper, but not much louder.

I'd much rather be an unnoticed good defensive driver than sloppy and noticable.

#27 ·
Myth 5

Myth 5: A Helmet Won't Help in Most Crashes

People look at the seemingly low impact speeds used in motorcycle-helmet testing and assume that if you are going faster than that, the helmet will no longer be up to the job. That ignores a few critical facts:

 Most accidents happen at relatively low speeds.
 Most of the impact energy is usually vertical—the distance your head falls until it hits.
 Helmets (or at least helmets that meet DOT standards) perform spectacular life-saving feats at impact speeds far above those used in testing.
 When a helmeted rider suffers a fatal head injury, it frequently doesn't matter, because, to hit hard enough to sustain that fatal injury, he sustained multiple additional fatal injuries to other parts of his body. In other words, the fact that the helmet didn't prevent the head injury was of no consequence.
 The numbers clearly say that riders using DOT helmets simply survive crashes more successfully than those without them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.