Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    Honda Rebel

Honda rebel shift gear ratio help

I have a honda rebel I find that when I come from a stop first gear I have some trouble getting into 2nd gear, I still trying to learn how to match the speed with shifting up (first gear is down then all the rest you move up). I am usually moving about 10mph, trying to shift into 2nd gear just seems to not go into gear as easy as it should. I do not have a tachometer so I must judge when to shift still learning my biggest concern is that I wind up the engine to high. Trying to get from first to 2nd, other time I get it right an it just goes into gear smmooth, so what am doing right/wrong? Would appericate feed back.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Rider View Post
    I find have a that when I come from a stop first gear I have some trouble getting into 2nd gear,
    So does EVERYBODY else who rides a bike. Really.

It helps to pre-load the shift lever a bit; that is, put a little upward pressure on it before you actually intend to shift. With practice you should find that you can actually pull up on it pretty firmly......and then when you pull in the clutch, it will just pop into second when the time is right.

It just takes practice. It is different that the other gear changes because of neutral being in the middle.

There is a remote chance that you have too much slack (free play) in your clutch lever too.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Try going faster than 10mph. That slow for second. My first road bike was a Rebel. It should be a little easier at higher revs. Something I still do at times is that my foot is at a weird angle and it keeps me from pushing straight up on the lever and so it is a little harder.

And I have to give a "bump" to Easy Rider's advice.

My Bike(s)
    Honda Rebel
    Thanks for the tips as a new rider my thought was as soon as you get going you were to shift out of first right away to 2nd. Today I rode into work gave your guys tips a try realized it was much easy/better to wait till had more speed. Once I was over 15mph shift into 2nd was such a smooth action, also pre-load the clucth some helped a bit as going into higher gears.

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Don't be afraid to rev it up a bit more. I kept my Rebel for a long, long time just because it was so much fun to ride around town. But, I can't remember about how fast I could push 1st. Those things are about bullet proof. I always wish I never sold mine.

Ads