Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 V-Star 1100 Custom & 2003 Honda VT750 Spirit for the misses

New V-Star 1100 Custom needs pipes

Hi.

I just thought I'd drop a message in here and ask an age-old question.

What pipes do you all run / recommend on the VS 1100? I just bought a brand-new one over the weekend (to "fix" my Marauder problem) and the pipes have got to be addressed. I don't want anything really loud, but it sounds like a lawn tractor right now. I don't plan on doing anything to the bike until the break-in is over but that will happen in farily short order since I ride to work every day.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    I have the Cobra Slip-ons, and the sound is just right for me, and so is the cost. Low rumble at a stop, and really only get loud when the throttle is cracked to pick up some quick speed. I had alot of popping before I removed the AIS, and now have just a few pops here and there. Not as much as before.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Cool! Thanks for the quick answer, Bigs. I had some conecrn about an air-cooled cruiser (because I live in Florida) but, with so many Harleys on the road around here, I figured it would be okay. Also, the styling is so nice that I had to overlook this little nit. I see you are from Texas - do you ever have any issue with the heat? Do you have an oil cooler or anything to help cool the engine? I don't usually ride in anything resembling heavy traffic, but I do occasionally get caught in stop-and-go spots.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    No problems here in the heat. Bothers me more than the bike!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Did you re-jet after you changed to the Cobra slip-ons? I just stopped riding my Marauder because the previous owner put V&H pipes on and didn't set the carbs up right - it fried the front cylinder head. I bought the V-Star because I just don't have time to work on the Suzuki right now (I may still fix it sometime) and I sure as heck don't want the same thing to happen to the new bike!

I am pleasantly suprised at how much aftermarket support there is for the V-Stars. I could never find too much for the Marauder. The downside is that this bike is going to cost me a LOT more money in customization than my old one!

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    I did not re-jet. Took off the AIS which helped some, but I still have some pops on decel every now and then. Lots and lots of goodies out there for the V-Star. I am still debating on whether to add the windshield, do the re-jet, or a more comfortable seat.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Okay, so now I don't know when I am going to be able to afford the pipes. I really need a windshield and solo luggage rack first. Is there anything I can do to the OEM pipes to get a little more acoustic output? I don't want to just start drilling holes in the baffles, and I understand that these newer V-Stars actually have a catalyst in the muffler, so I am not sure how that factors into the process. Most importantly, I really don't want to void my warranty (this is a brand-new bike). The dealer parts guy told me that the warranty would still be valid if I had pipes installed by a "licensed mechanic" - whatever that means.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    The old "licensed mechanic" ploy. In other words, "buy the pipes from me, let me do the extremely easy task of installing them,and I won't void your warranty". Even if that was a problem, it is very easy to swap out the aftermarkets with the OEM's if you need warranty work done. They are just looking to soak $60/hr labor from you.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Yeah, that's what I figured - they do earn the name "stealership", don't they? Honesly, I don't understand why these people have to be such jerks. The local Harley dealer (I've only been in there a couple times) has such a friendly staff that I think I'd buy one of those bikes just so I wouldn't feel like they were doing me a favor taking my money! Unlike some, I don't ride a Harley because I can't afford one - I actually do like their products.

I was reading elsewhere online that you can cut the rear disc out of the stock pipe and pull out the baffle. I am not sure I want to try this, but there were some audio recordings from those who supposedly did this modification, and they didn't sound half bad. Way better than the sound I have right now (with the OEM pipes and all baffles intact). It sounds like I'm riding something made by Bolens, not Yamaha!

I have just over 100 miles on it now and it is growing on me fast. My wife (who also rides) took it out one time and then threatened to take it from me!

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '01 Yamaha V-Star 1100
    Pre '06 you could just take a hole-saw and cut the disk from the rear of the muffler, an just pull the rear baffle out. after '06 it gets a bit more involved.

For detailed V* info here:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/yamaha1100

And especially here:
    V*Star 1100 KB (FAQ) - T-O-C

The knowledge base covers just about everything you could ask!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Just an update. I decided on the Cobra HP 2-into-1 pipe and the Maxair intake kit. The Cobra pipe sounds amazing, and it looks really cool. Also, I couldn't be happier with the Maxair kit. It had all the pieces I needed to do the job and the parts all fit just like they should. Between the pipe and the Maxair kit, the performance increase is stunning (it is like I added a third cylinder).

I was really worried about tearing my carbs apart, but he Maxair instructions are absolutely great and, when I was finished, the bike started and ran the first time I hit the button. I only had to make two minor adjustments to the idle screws over the next two days of riding and I had it dialed in. I can't recommend this combination enough. There is no popping or back-firing and the bike starts much easier now. I just did this last weekend so I am not sure about my gase mileage yet, but I'll bet it doesn't suffer too much.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki C109RT
    Congrats on the new pipes! Any pics?

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Here are a couple of shots of the pipes. I think the Cobra 2-into-1 is a little odd-looking on a cruiser (some of the competitor's 2-into-1 pipes look a little better, IMO), but the Cobra is a good deal and the sound is awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New V-Star 1100 Custom needs pipes-side-rear-honey-1.jpg   New V-Star 1100 Custom needs pipes-gophers-view-1.jpg  

Ads