Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic

V Star 1100 idle problems.

Hello everyone. My 2002 V Star 1100 is having an issue with the RPM's staying up between shifts and until I come to a complete stop. As I slow down at a stop light or sign, the RPM's are staying way up there. If I rev the bike and push it forward even a few inches, it idles very high until I stop the bike. I was told that it may be a faulty speed sensor so I disconnected the speedo and it resolves that problem, but I can't continue riding like that. For one thing, I know that this bike has an electronic ignition and when I disconnect the speedometer, it messes with the timing and I get other issues such as backfiring. Has anyone ever had anything happen like this? I am just wondering if this sounds like its the speed sensor. Other advise has indicated that the TPS or ECM could also be the culprit. I suppose any of the three could be it but I really don't want to spend a fortune fixing it.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by rogotoko View Post
    Hello everyone. My 2002 V Star 1100 is having an issue with the RPM's staying up between shifts and until I come to a complete stop.
    You are the third person to come here with that same problem in just the past 10 days or so. Alas, I don't think anybody has reported back with a fix yet. Do some searching around. Maybe someone with a vested interest can point you to the other messages.

Maybe a call to the dealer would be in order ??
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)

V Star Problems

Thanks for the response, Easy Rider. I'll talk to them. I am interested to know if you might remember who posted on the same problem. Maybe if they beat me to the solution, I can save a little money and some headaches with their knowledge.

My Bike(s)
    I am interested to know if you might remember who posted on the same problem.
    No I don't. The search function is your friend. I suggest you try "speed sensor" first.

My Bike(s)

Question New developements

Just out of interest, I sprayed compressed air into the general area of the carbs. I hit the rubber areas that connect the carbs to the bike too. Each time the bike stalled when air was blown on or around the carbs. Now maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't the sealed rubber parts be air tight? Should this happen?

My Bike(s)

Why did I join a forum?

Ok. I am not really sure why I joined this forum. As you can see, aside from Easy Rider, I am really the only one that has been replying to my own post. I just want to leave a remedy for what has been wrong with my bike. It turns out through talking to the local bike shops and people with other V Star 1100's that my bike had a choke problem. Simple problem I know, but it seems the choke was sticking shut and the idle was screwed up as a result. Once the choke was fixed, it still would not run. The idle had to be adjusted up and corrected to the proper setting for a bike with a good choke. Again, thanks to all the ONE people that tried to help out. I hope this post helps the next person who tries to figure out his or her problem.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    V-Star 1300 Galaxy Blue
    Usually people are pretty good about ideas with problems with bikes on this post. This one just might have been something that no one had posted an answer to anywhere else. PS there are not always people on this forum. Sometimes some posts have days between responses. I'm glad you found a fix for your 1100.
    Is it possiable to have a mid-life crisis at 28?

My Bike(s)
    Ok. I am not really sure why I joined this forum.
    At this point, I'm not sure either.

You reported earlier that you disconnected the speedo and the problem disappeared.
    THEN you report that the problem was really with the choke ???
    There is no connection between the speedo and the choke.

From your description, I was assuming a bike with Fuel Injection.
    They do not HAVE chokes.

So......I was trying to help but something in your story just doesn't add up.
    Now I feel like you've just been screwing with us.

Others may have caught on quicker than I did.

My Bike(s)
    2003 Yamaha 1100 Vstar

Same Bike Same Problem

I have a 2003 Vstar with the same problem ie; fast Idle and backfiring. It started after I replaced a starter clutch which should have nothing to do with either probem. If I find out the solution, I will let you know. My email is listed.

My Bike(s)
    04 Vstar Classic

Ads