Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2003 yamaha v-star 1100 classic

Exclamation v-star hot starting problem

Hello everyone, I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right.

I have a 2003 Yamaha v-star classic 1100 with 8900 miles. I am starting to have hot starting problems. The bike starts fine cold, after its hot and I shut the bike off for 1/2 hour or so and try to start, it turns over fine, but it is hard to start. I have to either start it a few times, or open the choke. I am pretty sure its fuel related, but don't know where to start. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,
    Seth

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    Per the service manual for a few things, going by what you stated. If it is an overheating issue:
    Ignition system: improper spark plug gap, improper spark plug heat range, faulty ignitor unit.
    Fuel system: improper carb main jet setting, inproper fuel level, clogged air filter element.
    Compression system: heavy carbon build-up
    Engine oil: improper oil level, improper oil viscosity, inferior oil quality.

If it is starting failure/hard starting, there is a laundry list of things "it could be". I will just list the main parts, but remember, there are alot of parts in side and that part that need checked as well. The list is as follows: Fuel system (filters, strainers, hoses, valves) could be clogging up, fuel %%%%, carburetor (jets, float, valves, needles, cables) could be clogged/loose/out of adjustment, air filter, fuel pump and its relay, spark plugs, ignition coil, switches and wiring (main switch, stop switch, nuetral switch, side stand switch, clutch switch), starter motor and relay.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    V-Star 1300 Galaxy Blue
    I need to get a shop manual. Sounds like it has most answers you need.
    Is it possiable to have a mid-life crisis at 28?

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003 v-star rider View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right.

I have to either start it a few times, or open the choke.

Let's get the most basic thing out of the way first. You should NOT be using the choke when starting a bike that is already warm (hot).

When you say "open the choke", what do you mean? The choke is normally "open" when riding and closed only when starting cold.

So......the next piece of "good" advice depends on the answer to that question.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2003 yamaha v-star 1100 classic
    Sorry, according to the owners manual it says "open the choke lever" on a cold start. However, my starting problem required me to do that to start the bike hot.
    Since then, I think I found the problem. The rubber intake boot that attaches to the air box was off. I noticed an oily substance all over the boot and inside the air box.
    I cleaned everything and reattached both intake boots to the intake and carbs.
    It seems to run better now. I think it was sucking air and screwing up the mixture.
    Please let me know if maybe there can be another problem that I haven't thought of that might cause the hard "hot" start.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003 v-star rider View Post
    It seems to run better now. I think it was sucking air and screwing up the mixture.

Please let me know if maybe there can be another problem that I haven't thought of that might cause the hard "hot" start.
    Yes, I think you did find the problem.

Yes, there can be lots of things that COULD cause hard starting when hot....but there is no need to be paranoid about it........is there ??
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ads