Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My Bike(s)
    Vstar 1100
    I purchased a new 2006 Vstar 1100 in March '08 with 0 miles. In July 2011 the middle drive shaft nut broke. At that time it had 4,387 miles on it. It has been parked in storage shed since then because Yahama says it is over 30 months old and they are not responsible for repairing or paying for repairing this issue. I wrote a letter to Yahama explaining the problem. A few days later I received a call from someone from Yamaha Cooperation in CA. He said that they could not help me with this problem since the bike was more than 30 months old. It was over 30 months old when I bought it off the show room floor with no miles on it. I think Yahama should stand behind their product since it has apparently happened numerous times to other Vstar 1100 models.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

My Bike(s)
    2006 Yamaha VStar Classic 1100
    My girlfriend just purchased one of these bikes. After bringing it home it had allot of oil leaking from a nut just beneath the main transfer case. I test drove this vehicle and noticed right away unusual noises coming from the engine which are not common with other V-twins I have ridden. I finally convinced her to return this bike to the dealership where she purchased same with over 13,000 miles on it. We left the bike with dealer and she was notified two days later of the mid-drive shaft assembly breakage. Although the dealership is paying for this repair for obvious reasons, I have requested her to return the bike for a total credit of the bike and purchase another of equal or greater value. I have even offered to pay the excess amount on a brand new bike of here choosing. After reading all the reviews on this particular model, it is a lemon with obvious design flaws and should be recalled for appropriate replacement irregardless if it has broken yet or not. My concern is that it is a safety hazard and there is no amount of money I would not pay to keep her safe from this particular model. I would like to know if anyone has experienced additional breakage of this shaft even after the upgraded repair. After the repair, should this particular dealership not accept our offer to accept this bike in return this bike for the purchase a new bike, I do not feel comfortable with her or anyone continuing to ride this model. I have read horror stories from the shaft locking up from 30-65 mph from riders I can only assume have eaten the total cost of the bike as a loss. Due to the seriousness of this deficient design by Yamaha, should there not be a class action suit in the works before someone becomes seriously injured or killed? I have owned older Yamaha Drive shaft models in the past, but they did not have this cheesy assembly nor had I ever heard of any problems with any of them. This problem with the 2006 VStar Classic 1100 is without a doubt "poor design," it has happened to bikes with mileage as low as 4000 miles. We were told by the dealership that this issue is caused by hard acceleration... What the heck is that? One should be able to smoke that rear tire at will and as often as they like and they drive shaft hold up for the life of the bike... V-twins are the slugs of the road, how hard can you really accelerate to cause such a breakage? Well, the dealership is covering this $1500 repair with "No Warranty..." One can only assume that the dealerships are aware of State Lemon Laws on used vehicles purchased within the last 30 days. My girlfriend is lucky in this respect, however, I just do not have a warm and fuzzy about this bike. What is the fate of other riders who did not have the law on their side? I think all who own one of these Yamaha's need to band together and file a class action suit today, why eat the cost of something which is obviously so flawed that the same thing happens to so many. I know as well as everyone else on this forum that most never cry out "FOUL."
    Vic51

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha 05/V-Star 1100 & 1981 Maxim
    I have exactly the same problem in my 05. 28K. $900 part and 2k in labour.

My Bike(s)
    05 Vstar
    I have an 05 Vstar, 20k and this just happened to me!

However I have read of a solution I am going to try and that is to drill into the drive pinion, tap and thread another bolt into it. We will see how it turns out.

My Bike(s)
    2006 yAMAHA VSTAR

same shi# different summe

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Reed View Post
    i just had that happen to my v-star , the middle drive shaft actually broke , the nut did not come off , it cost me $2671 to get fixed , but there was good news as of today , i was at home getting mad about the whole thing and filed a complaint with the NHTSB , i then fired off a letter to Yamaha informing them of what had happened to my bike and that i filed a complaint , i also told them i was thinking about a class action suit to get everybody in North America involed who's bike it had happened to . Well next thing you know after a couple of days i got a call from Yamaha , and just today i got a check from the dealer that fixed my bike for the sum of $2579 , refund for what i had paid the dealer , looks like it only cost about $100 bucks to get fixed , it seems that Yamaha redesigned that middle drive shaft to be a bit more beefy , so they know there is a problem with it , all i can say to you is try doing what i did , Yamaha may cover that expense for you.
    HEY COULD I GET A COPY OF YOUR LETTERS my 06 is down yet again i put 2 new drive shafts in it already the last one did not make it 8,000 miles hell it is less then a year since i replaced the last one and i live in michigan so it sat in the garage more than it was drove. the yamaha dealer who did the drive the last 2 times wants nothing to do with it he says yamaha rafuses to offer answers to his questions and he feels like he is taking advantage of us. this is my 5th yamaha and never had i had problems like this i won't be buying them again

Ads