Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    2006 vstar1100 classic

vstar 1100 middle drive shaft

hello,
    I have a 06 vstar 1100 classic with 13k on it just wondering if there are
    other owners that have had any problems with the middle drive retaining nut
    coming off the end of the shaft and totally destroying the drive shaft
    cv joint, I did not purchase an extended waranty the dealer said the price
    for th repair was going to be close t $3,000 and yamaha will not cover the
    cost stating that the problem has nothing to do with the design of the unit
    sometimes it just happens to a few bikes regaurless of the year and mileage of the bike.
    Thank you to replies to this post
    Mike

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Wide Glide
    No problems here.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    V-Star 1300 Galaxy Blue
    I wish I could be some help. So what happened to you when the assembly came apart. You could probably invest that 3000 towards a new bike and see what you could still get for yours or just keep it to part out.
    Is it possiable to have a mid-life crisis at 28?

My Bike(s)
    2008 Black Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
    Why dont you just buy a used shaft assembly at a salvage yard. And that part new isnt even close to that! Theyre jerking you around. Theres one major thing required to fix anything on these bikes....a bike lift. You can get an 06 whole bike for like 6 grand

My Bike(s)
    2001 V-Star 1100 Classic

New to this site

I just became aware of this website and i do have information i thought someone would be interested in seeing , it concerns the middle drive on V-Stars

My Bike(s)
    2001 V-Star 1100 Classic
    i just had that happen to my v-star , the middle drive shaft actually broke , the nut did not come off , it cost me $2671 to get fixed , but there was good news as of today , i was at home getting mad about the whole thing and filed a complaint with the NHTSB , i then fired off a letter to Yamaha informing them of what had happened to my bike and that i filed a complaint , i also told them i was thinking about a class action suit to get everybody in North America involed who's bike it had happened to . Well next thing you know after a couple of days i got a call from Yamaha , and just today i got a check from the dealer that fixed my bike for the sum of $2579 , refund for what i had paid the dealer , looks like it only cost about $100 bucks to get fixed , it seems that Yamaha redesigned that middle drive shaft to be a bit more beefy , so they know there is a problem with it , all i can say to you is try doing what i did , Yamaha may cover that expense for you.

Drive shaft

I own an 06 Vstar 1100 and I did get the extended warranty. I took it in to the shop and after 2 months of dissasembling and reassembling, replacing this and that, they still can't figure out what's wrong. It was making a loud ZOOM when I released the clutch after shtifting/downshifting (the higher the speed, the louder noise). Last thing they thought it was the dirve shaft and so they just replaced it and it's still making the noise. I'm about to invoke the Texas' Lemon Law now. Any ideas out there?

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    I geuss I am not going to complain again the next time I am cleaning my chain.

I hope you get it worked out without having to pay $3,000. That seems like a lot of money for a drive shaft.

My Bike(s)
    2002 v-star 1100 classic
    I have a 2002 1100 V-Star that I bought brand new and today is the first time I have heard about the mid shaft. I have about 38600 miles on the bike and really only had one problem with it since I bought it and that was the starter clutch went bad, but ever since then no problems (knock on wood).

My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha VSTAR 1100C
    what symptoms did you have with the starter clutch?

My Bike(s)
    06 vstar 1100 classic
    The bolt in the middle shaft broke on me too. The nut was rattling around and then the rear wheel locked up. Yamaha says they have no recall. They appear to be guilty of knowing about a defective bolt that definately causes major failure in the bike and probably has caused injury to riders. Any body know of class action suits or individuals who have sued them? The cost to fix mine was quoted at $3500, but I may not do it. My other option is to buy a used engine, but then I'd still have the defective bolt.

My Bike(s)
    06 vstar 1100 classic
    My bolt snapped off at the end. 06 vstar 1100.

My Bike(s)
    06 vstar 1100 classic
    Hi Gary,
    The same thing happened to me who did you contat at Yamaha?

My Bike(s)
    2002 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Classic

Thumbs up 2002 Yamaha Vstar middle shaft defect - BROKE at 39K miles

I bought my 02 Vstar with 2k miles on it in 2003. I am a casual driver and have always been careful and easy on the bike. I too had not had any problems with the bike other than the starter clutch... that was until a couple months ago. On my way home from work I went to slow down for a turn and my bike made a god awful noise. It turned out to be the same defective middle shaft which had broken off above the bolt on the threads.

Yamaha dealer locally said over $2500 to fix the bike. There was no way I could do that... I contacted Yamaha and after leaving me on hold for a half an hour they told me that the bike was too old and they wouldn't do anything about the problem. I have started a facebook page and if you have had this problem please feel free to go there and post your story. I would like to join any class action lawsuit since I was very dissappointed in how Yamaha dealt with me.

We have since purchased a salvage motor and installed it on the bike but am still hoping to get Yamaha to come through with replacement parts and necessary gaskets to fix this know defect. Facebook page can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Yam...55677817809953

Keep the shiney side up man!
    Last edited by Mr.Mohr; 10-01-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Had the wrong URL

My Bike(s)
    2002 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Classic
    The starter turns but the engine doesn't... there is a one way bearing of sorts in there that goes bad. $600 at the dealer to fix mine.

Ads