Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

no start or no spark

Hi: Well riding season is here, but my 1999 650 v star will not start. There is fuel going to plugs, but there is no spark. I changed the plugs, with negative results. It cranks but will not catch. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 V-Star 1100 Custom & 2003 Honda VT750 Spirit for the misses
    Check the simple stuff first - check all your fuses and make sure you have fresh gasoline. You say you're getting fuel, so I assume your plugs are wet when you pull them, but you shouldn't assume that fuel is actually flammable. Believe it or not, gasoline can go bad pretty quickly.

Also, make sure that you're not just flooding it - the carb floats may be sticking if the bike has been sitting a long time (over the Winter).

If the usual things don't work, then you're going to have to do a little more digging. It is possible that your ignition pickup (part of the stator assembly) has failed, or your ignition control unit has stopped working. These things are probably best left to the dealer since they have the equipment to test and diagnose them. You could probably check the pickup if you have a shop manual and a meter, though.

For the most part, these bikes are pretty bulletproof - the electronics don't fail that often. I would expect that this is something real simple, so be methodical and thorough as you troubleshoot it.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by pgman View Post
    Check the simple stuff first -
    Indeed. On some bikes, the kill switch just disables the ignition and not the starter.....maybe not for recent models but some old ones for sure.

How fast does it turn over? Some electronic ignitions won't make spark if the battery is low.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Check the pickup coil. It determines when the 2 ignition coils should fire (1 coil per cylinder). The pickup is inside the engine. The 2 wires from the pickup coil exit your left side engine cover where the 3 white stator wires exit. The pickup coil connector is under the gas tank, near the seat. You might be able to get to the connector just by removing the 2 tank bolts and pivoting the tank up an inch or two. The connector only has 2 wires (the stator connector nearby has 3 white wires). Disconnect the pickup connector and measure the coil resistance. It should be 180-220 ohms. You measure the connector half that has the wire going back towards the seat.I bet your coil is open. Have experienced this myself. In fact, every 20k miles on this bike (have 40K now). Buy Honda .

Good Luck,
    Tiein
    Last edited by tiein; 04-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I removed the tank checked the resistance for the pickup coil and it had a very high reading, so I ordered the part and well see. I also checked the coils and they were out of spec, so I will replace them as well. My bike has 42k km, so it probably won't hurt just to replace the three items. I keep everybody abreast, and I'll cross my fingers. Thanks

The ignition coils are pricey. I wouldn't replace them if the bike runs fine after replacing the pickup coil.

Good riding,
    Tiein

Well, I got spark, after replacing the pickup coil. Now, it still wont't start. Fuses are good. Now the plugs are not wet, I don't hear the fuel pump when turning on the ignition. How do I check the fuel pump relay or fuel pump?

Since you suspect lack of fuel delivery, try draining the fuel filter (located under the seat). If the filter is so old that it is no longer translucent, replace it. Reconnect the fuel filter and try to start the bike. If the fuel filter fills quickly with fuel, then the pump and relay are okay and you need to look farther down the line past them. If not, then check the petcock position, clogged tank pickup screen, pump relay, and pump. Let us know.

Good luck,
    Tiein
    Last edited by tiein; 05-13-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks Tiein, replaced the fuel filter and with the first crank the engine turned over. I'm ready for summer!

Ads