Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2002 883r

1100 V-Star as a new bike??

I have a 2002 Sportster 883R that I am selling and I am thinking of getting a 2008 Canadian Edition V-Star 1100 with 400kms on it. Do you think this would be a nice upgrade to the Sportster 883R? Thanx lexx

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Yamaha Roadliner
    It really doesn't matter what WE think. Do you think it will be a nice upgrade??? Sit on it... Check it out... Test ride it if you can! It will definitely be a smoother ride!
    TJ

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    06 1100 V Star
    I just traded my 04 Sportster custom 1200 for an 06 V star 1100. Best move I ever made. The V star handles way better and is virtually maintenance free. It sits lower to the ground and it can turn on a dime.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    well, there's one guy who told you his two cents.

the metrics just require less work to keep going - heck the old xs850 only took a marginal amount of work and the damn thing is 30 years old.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 V-Star 1100 Custom & 2003 Honda VT750 Spirit for the misses
    I've never ridden a Harley, so I can't compare, but I love my V-Star 1100.

The V-Star 1100 handling is fantastic - when you pick it up, it just sits there in a perfectly neutral position. In fact, it is the only bike I've ever been on where I can actually stop briefly without putting my feet on the ground. The center of gravity and balance are just that good.

The only complaint I have is the ground clearance, which is a bit lacking. Some other negatives are the oil filter location and valve adjustments. The oil filter is behind the front exhaust pipe, so you have to remove the front pipe to change the filter - unless you have an oil fliter relocation kit (which is WELL worth the money). Valve adjustments are not real difficult, but they must be done rather frequently if you want the motor to run quietly - V-Star 1100 motors have a tendency to tick loudly if the valve lash is out. Also, the motor is air-cooled. This is considered to be a negative to some - personally I like it because the whole bike looks cleaner and less cluttered. However, power does drop off some when it's really hot and the power is adequate, not outstanding. This mostly is due to the OEM intake setup which is rather restricted, and there are a lot of relatively easy and inexpensive modifications you can do to get a very noticable power boost. Because these bikes are carbureted, they are cheaper to modify, but a bit more tempermental that EFI bikes. I've never had a problem with mine - not even on 25-degree mornings, but they do take a few minutes to warm up. Finally, the V-Star 1100 is no longer sold in the United States - this has no bearing on other markets, except that the aftermarket may trail off a bit. As it is right now (and probably for the forseeable future) there are TONS of aftermarket goodies to fit V-Star 1100 models, so you can customize them almost as much as a Harley.

I think the V-Star 1100 will be very popular for many years to come, and it will probably be one of those fondly-remembered models as it fades away. If it fits you well, I'd say it is a very good choice.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    Also, the motor is air-cooled.
    he's going from a H-D - I would think the preference here would be to stay "air cooled."

Having owned both air cooled and liquid cooled, buy what you prefer, I cannot honestly justify one over the other.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Ads