Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    yamaha v star 1100

v star 1100 electrical problem

hi first time user here got my bike out today turned the key and hit the starter and everything went out no lights no power nothing checked all the fuses but still nothing evert now and then everything will come back on but click and go backout when you try to start any body had this problem

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    99 Suzuki Marauder
    Did you charge your battery? Sounds like its dead.

My Bike(s)
    yamaha v star 1100
    just got finished putting in new one that was it.i have just put on passing lamps dont know if the problem came from that or just old battery

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    83 Gl650I
    Did you fully charge the new battery? Without doing that it won't do you much good. New batteries have some charge but not nearly enough to be of any real use. Eliminate that situation then try to start the bike again.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by gsale68 View Post
    i have just put on passing lamps dont know if the problem came from that or just old battery
    Probably a little of both.
    How old was the battery?
    How long had it sat unused?

It's not uncommon for them to fail when doing "electrical mods or testing" as you tend to not let the bike run long enough to recharge between starts.
    A bike battery has nowhere near the reserve capacity of a car.

And as WW said above, even if things SEEM to be working OK now, you need to put that new battery on a charger if you haven't already.
    The bike itself may not do the job properly.

How big (wattage) are the lights.......and are they on all the time ??

My Bike(s)
    yamaha v star 1100
    Put new bikemaster trugel battery have not had anymore problem since talked to mechanic at local yamaha dealer said to cut passing lamps off in heavey traffic and that it was best to leave them off for periods of time.

My Bike(s)
    yamaha v star 1100
    Dont know how old the battery was it was in the bike when i bought it and bike does not sit very much drive about 60 miles back and forth to work .dont know the wattage of the lights i will have to check.i did put switch in for the lights but have failed to use it probably good idea to cut them off during start up and warm up period

My Bike(s)
    dont know the wattage of the lights i will have to check.i did put switch in for the lights but have failed to use it probably good idea to cut them off during start up and warm up period
    You should know what you are putting on your bike, in this case the wattage, and the potential effect it will have.......BEFORE you put it on.

Since we are past that now, a few voltage measurements should tell the story; that is, whether or not you need to worry about turning them off or not.

IF your front turn signals still function as running lights, having the added ones on during the daytime probably won't make you much more visible anyway.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    83 Gl650I
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You should know what you are putting on your bike, in this case the wattage, and the potential effect it will have.......BEFORE you put it on.

Since we are past that now, a few voltage measurements should tell the story; that is, whether or not you need to worry about turning them off or not.

IF your front turn signals still function as running lights, having the added ones on during the daytime probably won't make you much more visible anyway.
    Easy, we will have to agree to disagree on your added light theory during daylight. Lynda's M-50 has added lights on the crash bars and it is very noticeable during the day. The triangle effect of 3 lights is far better than one central light coming down the road. The extra lights are 20 watt halogen MR-16 bulbs mounted in cheap WallyWorld lights from the auto dept.

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Warrior View Post
    Easy, we will have to agree to disagree on your added light theory during daylight.
    That's why I said "IF the turn signals still work as running lights too."

It might be interesting to note that the NTSB has decided that DRLs on cars are not required anymore.......because there was no hard evidence that they help anything.

Extra lights certainly don't hurt (unless they run the battery down) and mounting with a proper seperation is much better. Most end up pretty much with 3 in a row though.

My Bike(s)
    yamaha v star 1100
    i want all the lights and noise i can have i drive the interstate everyday everybody run over you about ready to duct tape the horn down

My Bike(s)
    i want all the lights and noise i can have i drive the interstate everyday everybody run over you about ready to duct tape the horn down
    OK, but that doesn't further the discussion of your original problem.
    Are you going to tell us about the wattage of your lights and the charging voltage ??
    If not, we can't help much........or at all.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    If you want traffic to see you might look into getting a Headlight Modulator. They work great for getting peoples attention and they are legal in all states plus Canada. Some are plug and play and all I know of are less than $100. I have then on both my bikes and they do not have any additional current draw over the stock headlight as well.

old codger
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

Ads