Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha V Star 650 Classic

2007 V Star 650 Classic Low Idle Problems Starting

Hi,

I bought my 650 last year and it ran great all season. Over the winter, I stored the bike in a garage and didn't take out the battery. After a few rides this year, it seemed to be working ok, then as I was getting gas after an hour-long ride, the bike didn't start again (no indication of battery). I couldn't push start it, so I towed it to my mechanic and he said the connections were loose, so the battery wasn't getting charged. Fine. The battery was re-charged and worked well again. A week later, I took a ride in the rain and stopped in a parking lot. Again, the bike wouldn't start. This time, the starter solenoid was buzzing, but nothing past that. I tried to push start a few times, but no success. After the rain had stopped, I went and push started the bike to get it home. I was worried about it quitting on the road, so I didn't open the choke all the way.

Now, if I charge the battery, I can get one good start. The bike warms up. Then about the time I would normally push the choke lever in, it starts to idle very low and neither throttle, choke nor idle adjustment will save it. By then, the battery charge is low enough that the solenoid just buzzes again, and I have to recharge the battery. At rest, the battery reads ~12.5V. With electronics ~12.3V. Bike running ~15.2V. After the first start ~11.5V

After much reading online, it sounded like I probably needed a good carb cleaning, so I took it out and cleaned the jets. Everything looked pretty clean. The carb cleaner ran through all the jets, and I re-assembled. The same thing is now happening. I can start, it runs for about a minute, then idles low and quits.

1. Do I need a new battery? I just wanted to check before I go buy a new one and find out that I didn't need it ...
    2. What else should I check as far as the mechanical part goes? The air filter looks good, plugs look ok. I'm not sure what the next step is.

The whole point of me trying to do it myself is that I'd rather learn myself what's going on and be able to fix it in the future than having to tow it to get repaired blindly.

Thanks!
    Gordon

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonL View Post
    At rest, the battery reads ~12.5V. With electronics ~12.3V. Bike running ~15.2V. After the first start ~11.5V

After much reading online, it sounded like I probably needed a good carb cleaning,

1. Do I need a new battery?
    Yes.

Given the above readings, do you know why ?

What lead you to believe that it might be a carb problem ?
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Given the above readings, do you know why ?
    The 11.5? Should be over 12 to start?
    What lead you to believe that it might be a carb problem ?
    Other people online who were having similar symptoms (low idle, unable to keep the bike running with the choke all the way open) were suggested to check the carburetor.

My Bike(s)
    Other people online who were having similar symptoms (low idle, unable to keep the bike running with the choke all the way open) were suggested to check the carburetor.
    Given ONLY that, it would have been a logical choice.......but you have to consider ALL of the symptoms.

The "one start after a charge" was a big clue, when coupled with the good 15+ charging voltage when running.
    That says that the charging system is working fine but the battery won't hold the charge that it's being given.
    The 11.5 was just kind of the last straw.

Your description of the problem was excellent, BTW.

Your new battery needs to be fully charged BEFORE being used.
    Unless you are on a really tight budget, an AGM type battery is highely recommended.
    They last about twice as long and don't require a "tender" connection for short storage periods.....if fully charged when parked.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 07-26-2012 at 06:00 PM.

My Bike(s)
    Great, I'll start with the new battery. I was under the impression that once the bike started, the battery wasn't really needed anymore ... but that might be why the bike quits after a while? If that's the case, I would be very excited.

Thanks for your responses and lending your experience. It's much appreciated!

My Bike(s)
    the battery wasn't really needed anymore ... but that might be why the bike quits after a while?
    Let's hope.
    At idle, the charging system can't make enough power to run everything; if the battery is really weak, you come up short.
    If you could turn off the headlight, it would probably run a lot better........long enough to get you stranded away from home.

My Bike(s)
    I guess that was only part of the problem...

I put the new battery in today. It started up, ran for a little bit, and quit again. Of course now I can reproduce this over and over without having to recharge the battery. The length of time the bike runs varies. Sometimes it's just a low gurgle and quits; sometimes it sounds good, I open the throttle a little, it quits; once I opened the throttle, it revved, then maybe 10 seconds later, it went into a low rumble and quit. Most of the times, it either doesn't turn over or has a low idle and quits.

Any suggestions where to look next?

My Bike(s)
    Most of the times, it either doesn't turn over or has a low idle and quits.
    Any suggestions where to look next?
    Now you need someone familiar with that specific model......probably.

You will get better help quicker if you describe the problem a little better.
    Whenever the starter runs and the engine moves, that is "turning over".
    If it doesn't actually run, that is "not firing".......or it fires but won't keep running.

Are you using max. choke and no throttle when trying to start ?? You should.
    When doing these tests, is the stock air filter in place ??

It sounds to me like you have a fuel shortage. If it has a fuel pump, that would be suspect; fuel filter too.
    Might just be old gas/water in the carbs. If you haven't drained and put in fresh gas, that might be a good idea too.
    Then, after all the messing around, the plugs might be fouled too.
    You still have several things to check.

My Bike(s)
    Ok, so I guess it fires sometimes and stops running, or just doesn't fire.

Are you using max. choke and no throttle when trying to start ?? You should.
    Yes.
    When doing these tests, is the stock air filter in place ??
    Yes.

I'll check the plugs again and try to drain and replace the gas.

Thanks again for the help ... I'll update at the next step.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Yamaha Vstar Silverado
    Sounds like you have covered the majority of possible causes of the problem - but you might want to verify that there is no fuel restriction in the flow of gas from the tank to the carbs - check for blockages, faulty fuel cock or clogged screen on the fuel petcock.
    You measured voltage on the charging and battery - can you get an ammeter in there and see what kind of current you have being drawn - could give insight to some other electrical device that may be shorted possibly.
    Good luck!

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schmez View Post
    can you get an ammeter in there and see what kind of current you have being drawn -
    Doesn't really make any difference.
    As long as the voltage while running is MORE than the battery just sitting, it is not DIS-charging.

My Bike(s)
    Problem solved. Here's my best guess what happened:

After all the tinkering, by the time I had replaced the battery, the fuel level was in reserve. I didn't have a full tank when I started this project, and after draining the carburetor, emptying the gas line, and running it for small intervals over a few weeks, I guess the gas level had dropped into reserve. Once the bike was started with the reserve gas, it ran like a champ. I had an awesome riding weekend and the bike feels great.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Gordon

Ads