"Feel" For Ya!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: "Feel" For Ya!!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide

"Feel" For Ya!!

Been thinking about you folks lately........how you must feel like the rug had been pulled out from under you, with Victory shutting down its production of future motorcycles. ESPECIALLY those of you who live and breathe the brand! My condolences.

How have your choices changed, if at all, in your approach to getting parts or add one, since the availability of those things could shrink over time? Have you decide to move over to another brand? Just wondering what effect Victory's decision had on you, if any. I know that "I" would be considering MY options, given the circumstances.

Polaris made a reasonable run at it, in my opinion, but it seems pre-nature of them to pull the plug. Then again, what do "I" know! I'm not in their board meetings. I doubt they are going insolvent, but it seems a shame that their apparent streamlining had to involve the "Victory" line of products.

Have you had the chance to vent on this topic? Here's your opportunity.
    "If it's worth doin, it's worth doin RIGHT!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Too much choice in cruisers would be my guess...esp with the Jap models.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    They pulled the plug on Victory to concentrate on Indian. A name with more recognition, and possibly more margin for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Higher sticker price for the Indians, too, yes?

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    So, let's ask this: If you liked Victory, but Polaris grabs the Indian name because of "legend", why? If they failed to make Victory successful, why would we think that they can make Indian successful? If they really wanted to make a statement and prove they're success, they should have downsized Victory to a couple popular models and carry them with Indian dealerships. Polaris was still heavily promoting Victory a couple years ago, so failing didn't appear to be an option at the time. Octane suddenly becomes Scout. I thought that was odd when I saw that. How are we supposed to believe in Indian "again", if they gave up on Victory in the manner that they did?
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    "Indian" (imho) has more of a "frills" factor than Victory did. The thing that will keep Indians in the showrooms, and keep Sales going, is the dressy pizzaz of the Indian bikes (like the Chief for example). Victory was a good solid bike (so far as I can tell, from the reports of those who bought one), but lacked in eye appeal to the same level as the Indian products display.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    That may be, but I think the main thing is that trying to start and maintain a legacy in the motorcycle world is impossible now. Victory would have needed to last quite a few more years in order to have that history. Taking the Indian name and making retro models made more sense than waiting for Victory to have a stronghold. I rode a Victory, liked it alright, but thought it was over-priced. I also wasn't willing to purchase a bike with such a short history. In the end, I was right. Victory bikes will lose their value quickly. Indian wasn't willing to deal and they don't and won't exist in our town, so I decided that they won't be in my garage. Our local Victory dealer as with others are left out for brands to sell. Something depended upon for income. I'm curious what brand he'll take on. There are several that we don't have here currently. Triumph and Moto Guzzi, to name a couple.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    The thing about the Victory, is they were competing against the Goldwings, Bmws and Ultra/Electraglides. That's a tough market to break into as a newcomer unless you have something special, like huge price break or something. They looked too "space age" compared to the rest of the market and other than that, didn't have anything special to really hook buyers. They needed to undercut the competition or offer something truly innovative to have a chance. They didn't do that and so it's not much of a surprise how it ended.

It should be noted that the modern Valkyrie, based on the Goldwing, didn't do well either and probably for the same reasons and Honda stopped making those also. I love my Valk, wouldn't mind a wing or f6b as a 2nd bike but sure as heck won't trade the Valk in for one.

Indian is really only competing against the harley market, and they have enough history, a similar enough aesthetic, and better prices to make it a real competition.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Oversupply...too many makers already doing similar things.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    Yes, exactly on both posts. Victory didn't offer anything special. They should have offered reasonably priced bikes that were liquid cooled. Their first couple years were rocky and for way too long only had one engine for every model. For some people, they never snapped back.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    I suppose if Victory had hung some leather fringe on their seats, (Patent infringement?) they might've gained a bit more in sales (lol)

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Joking aside it is difficult to develop any kind of vehicle manufacturing these days....so many already doing it en-mass and so many hoops to jump through. Couple that with the economic outlook I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Unless you can cut costs...ie like China et al then you are going to have an uphill battle...afterall what are you going to offer that is different or better than what's already there? If you look at the scene historically the Japs started out with small commuter machines then moved to 250/350 sizes....they also raced successfully against the bigger British machines.

The attitude back then was a smug "let them have the small end of the market...they will never beat the big bikes". This attitude is no longer held so that opportunity is not available. I expect Norton to fail in the not too distant future...they have fallen into the same trap...hope I am wrong

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    That was Polaris' big mistake. They should have started with affordable small cc's, maybe 600 and 900, for example. I suggested liquid cooled, so that they could compete with that market instead of HD. Being affordable right off the bat would have attracted younger buyers. Gradually, they could have upped the cc's and take a stand. Unfortunately, the went for all the marbles and niched the market with customers that had the money to take a chance. I wanted them to succeed, but when I saw that they bought Indian, I knew they would let Victory go. I'm not impressed with their business practices over Indian. I've read complaints about terrible customer service. Eventually, they're going to have to move away from retro looking bikes and become their own design. I'd be willing to bet that they'll lose their place again.

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Some of you M50 guys may remember me on here. My 2006 M50 was my first street bike but after a few years I was ready to move to something bigger. Had planned on getting another Japanese bike but come across Victory. Didn't know a thing about them but in 2012 the economy was in the crapper and nobody was selling bikes, especially big ones so I got my Cross Roads cheaper than I could get my other choices (Yamaha Stratoliner and Kawasaki Vaquero). I am not happy with Polaris's decision and most others on the Vic forums are not either. Polaris did a terrible job marketing their bikes and IMO went to hard after HD. They did not support their dealers very well, parts were a pain to get, website was never up to date, etc. I also knew the writing was on the wall when the obtained the Indian name and especially when they started producing them. The whole 5 years I have been on my Victory I am still usually the only guy out there on one in my neck of the woods but I see an Indian a few times a week and more all the time. They are expensive bikes but there still are people out there with money to burn. The Vics are great bikes though and even though I plan to never give Polaris any more of my money (new Indiean, 4-wheeler, etc.) I do plan on keeping my Victory Cross Roads for a very long time. I have already started buying up some extras I may need down the road such as an extra windshield and extra heated grips. It has also motivated me to buy a few other accessories I hadn't planned on buying yet. I am not too worried about the mechanical/electrica parts because a whole bunch of them are just parts that other companies make and can be cross referenced.
    Last edited by TNM50; 05-13-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Sponsored Links