Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Blvd. C50T (dark grey)

Oil/oil filter recommendations for C50? And what tire brands?

Greetins to all! I'm a relative new-comer to this forum. I am new to riding; I've taken/passed the MSF; and I'm LOVING my '06 C50T!!! I've had the first 600-mile service done by the local Suzuki dealership ($138 OTD), but I'd like to do the interim maintenance myself (i.e., the oil changes).

What brand of oil(s) and oil filter(s) do you all recommend? Do I need to switch grades of oil for winter and summer (10w/40; 20w/50)? Temps where I live range from 30 degrees in winter to 115 degrees Farenheit in summer.

I drive "normal". I don't race around like my cruiser's a crotch-rocket, but I also don't tip-toe like "the little old lady from Pasadena" stereotype.

So, I'm wondering what oil filters are best, what brands I should shop for; and the same question for the oil. I hope I don't start a flame-war, as I sense this topic has likely been beaten to death 1,000 before.

RE: tires: Mine are fine for now, but I just wanted to start poking around so when the time comes, I know where's a good place to buy from + what brands(including series within the brand) are good for my bike.

Thanks on all 3 accounts!
    Best,

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 C50 Silver and Gray

Oil and Filter

I went to the dealer and bought a OEM filter. The oil they suggested is actually put out by Honda. It's in a red bottle with a black cap. 10w40. Make sure you use a motorcycle grade oil. Tires: there are a lot of other things I want to buy for my bike before I even start to think about tires. Good luck!

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    Just put oil filters in the search function, there is a list of filter brand there.
    Metz. 880 or Dunlops are what most have stated.

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    Page 3, this forum, cross ref. oil filters C50.
    VoLusia put up info.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I am firmly convinced that what brand oil you use is completely irrelivant, as long as it is 10w-40 motorcycle oil. Keeping it clean by changing it often is what really matters.
    As for filters, I am not a big fan of the OEM filters, which are more pricy that the quality of them rates: Suzuki doesn't make them, they just buy them from the lowest bidder. EMGO, Hi-Flow, K&N...like oil, any brand will do if you change it often to keep the oil clean. I use EMGO bacause I can get then dirt cheap from a local shop in a 12-pack. I also buy oil in the 5-gallon bucket, which saves me about 20% over the price of quart bottles, and by stocking up am able to change the oil whenever I need without running around for what I need. Old oil goes in a 5-gallon bucket also, and is returned for recycling when I get a new bucket of fresh oil.

Tires...I use Metzeler ME880 Marathons, which last longer for me than any other brand, and still offer good ride, nice handling, and good wet-weather performance. Dunlop 404s are good also (they don't last as long for me but they are good tires and are a lot cheaper), as are Dunlop 491 Elete IIs if you do a lot of hghway driving. Wide-whitewalls or black sidewalls are available in those series also, depending on the look you want.
    Any of the above will show an improvement in handling, wet-weather traction, and ride quality over the stock tires.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Suzuki recommends services SJ on the oil and I have found that the Chevron Delo fits the bill. I would at least stick to that requirement. None of the motorcycle companies produce their own oil. They buy it from the oil rip offs and under their own label they charge $4.00 a quart because we are lead to believe that it is the only oil to use.
    It may have something to do with the clutch, detergent and lubrication qualities.
    Interesting reading: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/NewBike.html#BreakIn
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

My Bike(s)
    2005 C50

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
    I went to the dealer and bought a OEM filter. The oil they suggested is actually put out by Honda. It's in a red bottle with a black cap. 10w40. Make sure you use a motorcycle grade oil. Tires: there are a lot of other things I want to buy for my bike before I even start to think about tires. Good luck!
    Go with the purple - royal purple that is. Atleast after about 3 grand on the odometer. Best stuff out there. The honda stuff is good but just another dealer tactic.

Sit speling cheker
    I am going with Shell Rotella T 5W40 full synthetic at 2,000 miles and K&N oil Filters. Just have heard and read many good things about it. The 5w doesn't phase me, Shell could have marketed it as a 10w had they choose to. I know of a Honda CBR 600 with 120,000 !!!! miles on it with no engine problems at all using this oil. the link below is the Motorcycle forum on the Rotella web site.

http://www.rotella.com/ubbthreads/po...ard=Motorcycle

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    Another vote for Shell Rotella T Synthetic from me!
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Happiness is something we create

In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DS06C50T
    Greetins to all! I'm a relative new-comer to this forum. I am new to riding; I've taken/passed the MSF; and I'm LOVING my '06 C50T!!! I've had the first 600-mile service done by the local Suzuki dealership ($138 OTD), but I'd like to do the interim maintenance myself (i.e., the oil changes).

What brand of oil(s) and oil filter(s) do you all recommend? Do I need to switch grades of oil for winter and summer (10w/40; 20w/50)? Temps where I live range from 30 degrees in winter to 115 degrees Farenheit in summer.

I drive "normal". I don't race around like my cruiser's a crotch-rocket, but I also don't tip-toe like "the little old lady from Pasadena" stereotype.

So, I'm wondering what oil filters are best, what brands I should shop for; and the same question for the oil. I hope I don't start a flame-war, as I sense this topic has likely been beaten to death 1,000 before.

RE: tires: Mine are fine for now, but I just wanted to start poking around so when the time comes, I know where's a good place to buy from + what brands(including series within the brand) are good for my bike.

Thanks on all 3 accounts!
    Best,

Change oil at half intervals. Use Suzuki filters and Castrol Actevo oil. Live happily ever after!

My Bike(s)
    2005 C50
    hey DS06, where do you live? i'm in slo

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    Follow the recommended maintenance schedule, use a good oil and you'll be fine. Synthetics hold up better than conventional oils - be sure not to use a Car oil that is rated EC Energy Conserving.
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Happiness is something we create

My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki C50
    Whats the big advantage of using Purple?

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Blue M50
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mc
    Whats the big advantage of using Purple?
    Honestly? None. They all claim to be the best oil, but in the end they will all do about the same thing.

Ads