Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Blvd. C50T (dark grey)

Is Shell Rotella-T 15w/40 ok?

While perusing the aisles at the local Auto Zone this evening, I noticed they stock Shell Rotells-T 15w/40 motorcycle oil. Is this ok to use for my '06 C50T? The temperatures in my corner of the world range from a low of 30 degrees in winter up to 115 degrees Farenheit in summer. BTW, their price for a 1-gallon jug is $7.79.

Thanks all
    Daryl

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    1600 Nomad
    I use Rotella in my Diesel Truck????? are you sure it is for a motorcycle????
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Red/Titanium

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Blue M50
    I would just stick with motorcycle oil at least until your warranty is up. I've heard of a lot of people using that Shell Rotella though, but most of them are using the synthetic rotella I believe.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 Black
    I read that we shold use 10-40 in the winter and 15-40 in the summer. Course we here in CenCal don't have much of a winter, plus I try to ride in the warmest part of the day. I would guess it would be fine, maybe??

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    The Shell Rotella non-synthetic was ranked the number one motorcycle oil among non-synthetics in a comprehensive test by Motorcycle Consumer News, the only Motorcycle magazine that doesn;t accept any advertising. I use the Rotella T synthetic and have done so in several bikes with excellent results. It was $13.48 for a gallon jug at WalMart the last time I bought some.

Here's some good info on using Rotella T in motorcycles:

http://www.rotella.com/qa/answerresult.php?rowid=169

Yes, Rotella T is OK. Actually it's better than OK!
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Happiness is something we create

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 Black
    I read in there that 15-40 is good for temperatures down to 5 degrees. Since where we live, Daryl, it never get's that cold, not even close, unless we ride to Sequioa in the middle of Januaury (not gonna happen), I would surmise that it's acceptable to use this grade year round for us. So I'm thinking at my first few oil changes when synthetic is not recommended, that maybe I'll go with this very same oil. I don't see any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    yellow and black
    I put some in my SV on my last change based on others on SVRider.Com using it. No ill effects have been noted and saving $6 to $16 every oil change doesn't suck either. So I'll be sticking with it till someone shows me proof that it messed up an engine or clutch.

The killer in me is the killer in you
    My love
    I send this smile over to you...
    Smashing Pumpkins

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Yamaha Road Star Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwisner
    The Shell Rotella non-synthetic was ranked the number one motorcycle oil among non-synthetics in a comprehensive test by Motorcycle Consumer News, the only Motorcycle magazine that doesn;t accept any advertising. I use the Rotella T synthetic and have done so in several bikes with excellent results. It was $13.48 for a gallon jug at WalMart the last time I bought some.

Here's some good info on using Rotella T in motorcycles:

http://www.rotella.com/qa/answerresult.php?rowid=169

Yes, Rotella T is OK. Actually it's better than OK!

That's what I use as well. There are a TON of riders using this oil, as well they should!

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Blue M50
    I'm going to give the Rottela full synthetic a shot after reading more about it at my next oil change. It's really not that much cheaper than the Castrol Act-evo I'm using now though.

Sit speling cheker
    Quote Originally Posted by jkulysses
    I'm going to give the Rottela full synthetic a shot after reading more about it at my next oil change. It's really not that much cheaper than the Castrol Act-evo I'm using now though.
    Got about 100 miles on bike since switching to Rotella T 5w40 full synthetic, Engine is quieter, Shifts are on so much smoother (like a hot knife thru warm butter is how I describe it.). I paid about 95.00 for a 6 Gallon case at a Oil Distribution company. Which works out to just under 4 bucks a quart.

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Blue M50
    Ya, I get the Castrol for $3.95 a quart so they are around the same price. I wonder if I can even find the shell synthetic stuff arond here. Does walmart carry it, or do they just carrry the regular rotella?

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Blvd. C50T (dark grey)
    OK, a step further now: Does anyone know if the oil from the factory in a new bike is full-synthetic or not? If not, will switching to a full-synthetic with only 1,200 miles on my bike be ok? Or, should I wait for more miles (?) on it? Will a full-synthetic be ok for my wet clutch?

Daryl

In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jkulysses

I use the Act-Evo too, and love it. Why do you guys want to use a synthetic? Do you plan to extend the number of miles between changes? I change mine every 1500 miles with a new filter so I would get no added advantage from a synthetic. I do agree that synthetic is tough stuff though, and I did use the Rotella in my Kubota tractors.

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Blue M50
    The only real advantage is that it is supposed to make your tranny shift a little smoother. Mine already shifts pretty smooth from using this castrol at my last change. Big improvement from the factory oil that was in there. As far as how long till you put synthetic in, there are so many different theories out there. A lot of people say to wait until around 10,000 miles and some say to do it after the first oil change so who knows. I'm just going to stick with dino oil or maybe a synthetic blend.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    1500 miles? Damn I'd be changing mine every other week or sooner...
    I ate Chinese last night..........should of seen her struggle when i put her in the van.
    Доверя́й, но проверя́й.

Ads