Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard C50 Silver/Black

Diameter of 2005 C50 Handlebars??

Sounds like a dumb question, but I recently checked the outer diameter of my handlebars and got 3 1/4 inches. I want to get a Marlin's "Bullet" Billet thermometer for between the risers and all I see is for the maximum of 1 1/4" diameter bars. What gives?? Am I reading it wrong? (Marlin's website)
    Has anyone put on the "Bullet" Billet Thermometer or clock from Marlin's?? If so, what size fits?
    Maybe they just aren't made for big bars ... I dunno.
    Thanks for any and all responses.
    Positive Vibrations !!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    He he he .. after further thought (about 2 seconds after I hit "post thread") I now realize that you need to measure the "width" of the bars, not the "diameter". Hmmm ... funny way of measuring for something that "goes around" the bars. Hope this helps out another rock head like me. By the way, the bars, as far as I can tell are either 7/8" or 1" , but certainly not 1 1/4" . The 7/8" and 1" parts are one in the same (includes a plastic spacer). Merry Christmas everyone (I know one thing I'm getting!) And for you southern boys and girls that ride all year 'round .... ride safe.
    Positive Vibrations !!

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Good to see you again man!

Stick around and post regular again!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Thanks intim ... I must say I have been quite busy over the last year (first child born) and riding somewhat. I will keep an eye on THE forum again during the winter !!!!
    Positive Vibrations !!

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2008 ZZR600
    It fits bar diameters from 7/8 to 1 1/4 inch. If you mount it between the risers, this is where the diameter is measured. It probably has some sort of shim spacer that allows mounting on different size bars. My friend has one and his bars are 7/8". He sold his bike, so I put it on mine, which has 1" bars. It fit OK, but my risers are short, so I had to mount it on the left side of the riser.
    The "other" ZZR rider.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    I got it in the mail today, heavy chrome !! This baby is gonna slow me down !! I have stock bars and it did come with a shim. I hope it fits between stock risers as it does have some depth to it. I got the polished aluminum look to match the top triple tree.
    Positive Vibrations !!

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Good luck! Let's see some pics after the install.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki VL800
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Morgan View Post
    I now realize that you need to measure the "width" of the bars, not the "diameter". Hmmm ... funny way of measuring for something that "goes around" the bars. .
    Hey Pirate, the confusion comes from the fact that width and diameter ARE the same thing. When you measure around something you are measuring it's circumference.

nameless

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C50, Custom Hyosung GV650 trike, UM 650 Sport Bike, Ducati Monster chopper
    so are the bars 7/8" or 1"? (wanna swap grips and I dont have a set of calipers to measure with)
    This material is the sole work of the AmishCrackDealer. Any reproduction or re-distribution without express written consent of the AmishCrackDealer will result in the torture of your relatives and the dissemination of illicit material depicting you committing illegal acts with barnyard animals.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessnigel View Post
    Hey Pirate, the confusion comes from the fact that width and diameter ARE the same thing. When you measure around something you are measuring it's circumference.

nameless
    Hmmm ... that's funny, because when I measured AROUND the bars with a flexible tape I got something like 3 1/4 inches. When I used a ... ahem ... stiff ruler I got 7/8" or 1" by eyeballin' it. So I don't think they are one in the same. Width = Diameter .... but what do I know, back in high school I got a 14 (yes ... 14) on the Regents Trigonometry final exam !!!

To answer AmishCrackSmoker's ... ahhh sorry ... dealers question. I would say they measured out to 7/8" , I couldn't appreciate the 1/8" difference when measuring and for my needs (Marlin Thermometer) it didn't matter either way, same part for either. Maybe someone has the spec. sheet or parts book that could put the definitive answer here.

Anyway, will post some pics come spring (whenever that gets here). Talk to you guys later......
    Last edited by Pirate Morgan; 01-16-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    Positive Vibrations !!

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Pirate...think of it this way.

If you started a trip on the shore of a lake, and you went all the way around the lake and returned back to your starting point. That would be the circumference. Just for talking, let's say that trip measured five miles.

Now say you are at the same spot. You take a boat straight across the lake. Essentially taking a shortcut. For the sake of talking, let's say you traveled 2.5 miles. You cut the lake in half and traveled width of the lake, or a.k.a. the diameter.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1999 vs800 intruder
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessnigel View Post

nameless
    Actually, width and diameter are entirely different.

Circumference is the distance around a circle's edge, in this case, a flexible tape measure can find this by folding it around the handle bar.

Diameter can't be measured unless you have the grip off, as it's the thickness of the bar. However, it can easily be derived from the circumference. This site explains the math behind it, if anybody's interested. Basically, if you measure the circumference, you can get the diameter by the formula: Circumference = Pi * diameter, or diamter = circumference / pi. Thus, if you measure ~3.14159 inches in circumference, dividing by pi (~3.14159), would give you a 1" bar.

Width of bars is typicall the distance measured from the end of one grip to the end of the other grip. My "buck horn" bars are very narrow in width, although I'm not sure of the exact width. My wife's got some custom 1.25" diameter, 33" wide (hence, width) drag bars, though, that are quite wide.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    Couldnt you put calipers on them to check the width?

Cookie Monstress.
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Kawi VN 2000
    ...calipers in hand.... 25.7 mm. = one inch plus a little chrome I guess....
    Ride long and prosper !

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    M50 red (red paint adds 5 horsepower)
    Almost all new cruisers have 1" handlebars (with the exception of the newer larger bikes like the roadliner which have 1" diameter where the risers clamp and 1 1/4 " along the rest of the bar). 7/8" handlebars are primarily much older bikes, and I believe some HD's. I don't think metric cruisers have used 7/8" bars since the 80's.

Ads