Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulevard C50 Silver/Black

Question regarding cost of tire change.

Initially my "stealer" quoted me "around $80 to $90, should be about an hour or so of shop time" for a tire change after telling him the year, make, model of my bike. Hell, I bought it from him back in 2005, so he knows what he's in for. I brought the tires to him, but no tubes. I asked him to put new tubes, change tires, and of course ... a balance.
    I get a call saying it's done, I ask how much the total was .. $201.32 !!! I said, "initially the quote was $80-$90, seems a little off" ... "well, you have to take the exhaust off to get the rear wheel off, then it's a spoke wheel and tubes are a pain in the ass. The work actually took 2.3 hours, but I only charged you for 2.1. (Wow, gee thanks ... after missing a quote by over 100%!!).
    Question is ... Is this a fair price to change tires on my 2005 Suzuki C50? The tires, Metzeler ME880, premium tires no less, cost a touch more than the change. What is everyone else paying for a two tire change (Upstate NY is where I am but if I know what hours other dealers have quoted you I can adjust it to the $80/hour they get here)???
    Thanks guys for reading my post, I always come back to this forum for info.
    Last edited by Pirate Morgan; 03-30-2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Positive Vibrations !!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I pay $15 each off the bike, $30 each on the bike, no matter which of the bikes I bring in. Another $15 each for a rim band, $15 for a tube..I can't make it cost $100 per tire no matter how hard I try. Tire changes should be a flat rate, not actual time, so how long it took the incompitent technician is irrelivant.

He told you he had to take the exhaust off? I would think that a dealer would have the tools to access the rear axle nut without having to take the exhaust off- most shops do.

Find another dealer- this one just gave it to you right up the *ss.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    That's what I thought ... Other peeps may chime in here also. He's got my bike, so he has me by the balls. I will be finding a new "stealer" ... and next time ask what the flat rate is for a tire change.
    Positive Vibrations !!

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    06' C50 (Blue/Gray)
    Last year it cost me $85 to have new tires, tubes and rim strips installed, but I brought the wheels to the dealer off the bike. If I remember correctly, it was going to be close to $200 for mounting if I just brought the bike in.
    -Sandman

Right Clicker
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Gordon Texas Latitude: 32.54833 Longitude: -98.36889
    It cost me $20.00 for tire change and balance.
    I take it off bike.
    I KNOW THE VOICES ARE NOT REAL
    But sometimes they have good ideals!
    Ride Safe, Ride Long, & Have Fun
    http://www.gordontexas.net/ http://www.gordonvfd.com/
    Benjamin Franklin> They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1751147.html

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Thanks guys for the replies ... I didn't get a chance to check here yesterday. Well, I guess next time I will request a HARD quote or a FLAT rate AND call around a little more. One way or the other, you shouldn't quote a non-mechanic like me "off the cuff" and then shock him with a double the quote price. I mean, I do all my own oil changes and am quite handy around the house, ect. ... I even own a jack for my bike (x-mas gift), a tire change would be over my head for sure as I know my limits. But don't tie my hands with a double quoted shop job. Anyway, thanks again boys ... and safe riding this year ... we already have had two motorcycle deaths this year and it wasn't even April 1st !!! Both rider fault ... so keep the tires to the pavement and heads up ...
    Positive Vibrations !!

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C50
    What i would do is this. Go in to pick up your bike and calmly ask to talk to the manager and tell him what happened and if he doesnt take something off of the price then just tell him that he's lost a customer for life and you'll take your money elsewhere in the future. If he takes something off good. If he doesnt you werent going back there anyway. But it's not going to pay to go in with guns a blazing.

Ride Hard, Pray Harder.
    Jesus would have been a biker.
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle. ~Author Unknown
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 suzuki c50
    I have removed my rear wheel on my 06 c50 more than once and never had to remove my exhaust.This was done in my back yard.I would surely find a more honest dealer.The last time I had a new tube put in it was $65 parts and labor and the dealer removed the rear tire himself.
    :Live to ride........Ride to work
    Proud Air Force Dad of my Airman at Ramstein AFB,Germany

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki C50T Mustang Seat Cobra Bars
    I bought a new rear tire for my C50 (at 17,000 km). The Suzuki dealer kept the bike for about three hours, apologized for not washing it and charged me $290 (CDN) for a Dunlop tire and mounting. Two or three tire pressure checks later, I finally noticed that they had mounted the tire backwards. I didn't go back.

The owner's manual shows how to take the rear wheel off, and it doesn't mention removing the exhaust.

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    My brother and I decided to go in halves on buying a balancer and changer. The prices are not that bad and will pay for it's self after changing 4 tires.

This isn't the ones we were looking at (can't find it right now). No-Mar products: Balancer

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki DL1000
    I had both tires replaced six months apart. I drop off the tire the day before and then ride over the next morning to have it changed. Want to say that each change cost me $60....and that didn't include a wash.

This is at my local Suzuki dealer.

My Bike(s)
    vs800
    I just took my tires into Pro Cycle, Dartmouth Nova Scotia, the tires where off the bike just on the rims cost me $166.51 ($88 labour, $13 front tube, $33 rear tube, $15 shop supplies and $27 sales tax). I asked for a rough price before installation with no reply feel ripppped. Bad service unorganized personel and ignorant sales staff = me not returning dissapointing hard to find a trustworthy establishment these days. if anyone knows of a good bike mechanic in Halifax area please let me know

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    [QUOTE=vs800;667593]I just took my tires into Pro Cycle, Dartmouth Nova Scotia, the tires where off the bike just on the rims cost me $166.51 ($88 labour, $13 front tube, $33 rear tube, $15 shop supplies and $27 sales tax). I asked for a rough price before installation with no reply feel ripppped. Bad service unorganized personel and ignorant sales staff = me not returning dissapointing hard to find a trustworthy establishment these days. if anyone knows of a good bike mechanic in Halifax area please let me know[/QUOTE

Other than the cost of the tire and related items such as valve stem the cost is $0, I do it my self. I don't trust anyone to work on my cycle. I guess you noticed this thread was 3 years old, not that it matters. An unrelated item, I just filled my van this afternoon, paid $2.87.9 per gallon.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

Ads