Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

installing saddlebag supports

I just got a pair of saddlebag supports for my 500 from Ebay for less then $50.00 but no bolts came with it and it looks as if I will need longer ones, 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer. Do I? Will stainless steal bolts from say ,Lowe's or such, work as well as those I might get from a dealer?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Cookie Monstress.
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Kawi VN 2000
    yes of course...as long as you match the thread pitch and length. You can tell from the saddlebag support how much deeper the bolt has to be by the added length on the sleeve the bolt goes thru.
    If they ever DID rust a bit you're probably not gonna see it...and you can replace them in jiffy anyway.

be aware that we get tons of comments from people who take the old bolts out and cannot get one or more of the new ones back in. Happened to me on my C50. The nut shifts relative to the bolt once it is free.

I suggest you loosen all 4 bolts a turn or two first...and see if any of them are obviously still really tight. Only take out one that is really easy to turn and does not feel bound up! Take that one to the store to size and get the longer lengths.

To change a bolt that is obviously bound up... flex the fender up/down/sideways/sit on it/ whatever until that bolt lines up and frees up. Then replace THAT one and you will know how to flex the fender to get it back in. Then do the same for any other sticky one. Dont tighten them all down soldily until the last one is changed.

Annie

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
    I just got a pair of saddlebag supports for my 500 from Ebay for less then $50.00 but no bolts came with it and it looks as if I will need longer ones, 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer. Do I? Will stainless steal bolts from say ,Lowe's or such, work as well as those I might get from a dealer?
    Last edited by tallannie; 01-11-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Ride long and prosper !

My Bike(s)
    07/V2K
    I don't know the grade of bolt used by Kawi but because of bad roads, hard riding, and always crammin my bags as full as i can I've always opted for grade 8 bolts to bolt on my bags. Unlike the stainless they will rust but can be covered with aftermarket chrome nut covers. Stainless is much less malleable and you'd be surprised how much the bags bounce during normal riding. Of course it's just a bag brkt and you can always limp home if a bolt gives.

2 pennies

Ads