Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha v-star 1100 custom

V-star 1100 custom has a start problem.... i think

can anyone tell me what's going on with my bike. is it just the starter. i bought it like this, but after adding a new battery it went away. now it's back.
    sometimes if will do this over and over again. so i stop after maybe 4 tries, and then do it again. the other night it would go.

please watch the short video.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by fahkinright View Post
    please watch the short video.
    I did and noticed some things but mostly not sure what I'm hearing.

You didn't say what year model it is. Does it have carbs or is it fuel injected ?

I'm guessing carbs; if it was cold in the video, you need to use some choke. If the engine was hot, then you need to set your idle speed up some; it is WAY too low.

Then, what happens if you trickle charge the battery overnight; does the problem go away ??
    Did you charge the battery before installing ? If not, your new battery could be bad again already.

When we get the issues of idle speed and choke figured out, then you need to get the charging voltage checked.

Just listened again.......and that screaming noise might be the starter clutch slipping.....if that model has such a thing.
    Is it the squeeling noise that is abnormal ??

Either way, the other issues need to be addressed.

My Bike(s)
    sorry. it's a 2003 yahama. v-star 1100 custom.
    i did put a new battery in it last year. (last year after that it ran great) and i took it out over the winter. i put it back in occasionally to start the bike over the winter. roughly every two weeks. it started fine all winter. however near late winter, i did leave the battery in, and maybe missed a month of starting it. the battery died. i charged it and things worked again for a little bit.... i may have missed another few weeks of starting after the warm spelling in march. where i live i was able to drive it 2 second week of march, only for that week though let it got cold again.

i can try charging it again

My Bike(s)
    i can try charging it again
    Don't bother. Just get a new battery and charge it good before putting it in.

If your post was really accurate in the details, then you just simply killed your relatively new battery by gradually running it down by starting without riding all winter......and without re-charging it anywhere along the way. Another charge now might bring it back to life again but it is VERY likely to fail again soon and leave you stranded somewhere.

So.....next winter, no need to remove the battery.....unless the temp. where the bike is stored goes below 0 F and stays there for days on end. Buy an automatic battery maintainer, like a Battery Tender brand, connect it and then just leave it alone.
    Need some stabil in a full tank of gas too and that's it. Don't touch it unless and until you can actually ride it.

The periodic starting you were doing is bad for the engine AND the battery.

P. S. If you get an AGM battery and charge it ONCE before storage, you might not even need the Tender. Mine sat this winter for 5 months with absolutely NO measurable loss of power.

And you don't have to take my word for it. "Winter storage" has been discussed on here several times. You might want to seek out those threads.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 05-21-2012 at 04:21 PM.

My Bike(s)
    thanks for your help. the store that sold me the battery tolds me they would test it for me. but when i do it's still showing me 13v.
    i still wonder if the starter is a problem. today i threw my porable jumper on there. connected and turned it on for extra juice. it still did the same thing.
    however, i found if i just release the sarter button, adn try again in my start wuickly, and normally. it's not always the case, but it did it many times no problem

My Bike(s)
    however, i found if i just release the sarter button, adn try again in my start wuickly, and normally. it's not always the case, but it did it many times no problem
    Simply measuring the battery voltage is NOT a good enough test.

OK, now we have a somewhat different situation.
    Now you need someone who is familiar with that model bike to talk to you about things like "compression release".....if it has such a thing.
    At this point, a visit to the shop would probably be your best bet.
    You may have a solenoid or starter problem but I doubt it and a shop visit would probably be cheaper than you guessing and throwing parts at it.......that it may not need.

My Bike(s)
    i think you are right. thanks for your help. sorry for all the typos.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado '08
    That, my friend, is the starter clutch starting to go. The wuring noise is the clutch not grabbing on to the assembly to turn the bike over.
    Mine is in the shop right now getting replaced, 2nd time. first time was at 16k and the last time is at 37k.

Also, have to replace the crank shaft because it started to splinter.

Get it to the shop, this is a known issue with this bike.

Also, if you have to pop the clutch to start it with a push, do it in 3rd gear. The lower gears don't have enough compression to turn the engine over.
    Last edited by JadedOne; 06-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.

My Bike(s)
    thanks. I have brought it to the shop and they confirmed it was that. I meant to post that so everyone knew.
    I actually ordered teh part from the States for 270.00 from this website, adn my buddy is goign to install it.
    they shipped it the next day and it was in canada 2 days later. only problem is it was suppose to be here between June 21st and 26th . Canada customs has had it since the 15th. BLEEPING HELL! what are they doing with it. always gets screwed when customs or Canada post gets stuff.
    === sorry for the vent ====

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado '08
    The first time it happened it took three weeks to get the part from Yamaha. Reason: it literally was on a slow boat from China. I kid you not. That time it cost 650 for everything, parts labor oil and all that stuff. This time I have been down for about 2 weeks so far. Shouldnget it back next week But I'm not going to complain to bad because Yamaha is paying for all the parts to fix it including the crankshaft. Mechanic is going to be generous with his hours so I should only have toay 2-3 hours for labor. Can't really bet that.

Ads