Motorcycle Forum banner

Freeze Damage

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I know I probably won't find this out until disassembly, but recently suffered some freeze damage on my 07 B1250. I bought it last summer. I've been through the routine maintenance on everything except checking the anti-freeze. And wouldn't you know it, we just happen to have an arctic front come through and had single digit temps (7-8deg F). So, I'm riding home from work, park in the driveway and notice that one leg and boot is covered in antifreeze. It was too stinking cold to do anything at the time. We had a break a couple days later and I dug into things. Coolant appeared to be coming from the radiator (slight glimmer of hope). I went by the dealer to pick up some genuine motorcycle anti-freeze for 8 bucks a quart (yikes). When I opened the radiator cap, I only had to put about a tablespoons worth in to bring it up to the lip. So far so good. I didn't have an anti-freeze tester so I wiped things down hoping a short ride might show me where the leak is (radiator or maybe hose). I rode in and picked up a prestone bulb tester. When I got home there were about a half dozen wet spots on the radiator (glimmer of hope fading). When I checked the antifreeze with my tester I noticed the level had dropped a little. The reading on the tester didn't even come up to the 10deg F mark (poof goes the glimmer of hope). I fired it up and looked at the site glass to check the oil and it was a frothy mess.

Rant finished. Question time.

Has anyone seen typical trouble areas on the bandit when it comes to freeze damage. I'll be taking it apart here soon to check the cylindercase and the head. Since I've never torn into one of these I don't know where anti-freeze can get into oil. I'm hoping it is only a head gaskets and not cracked head/cylinder. I've debated just pulling the engine and replacing with a salvage unit. But I figured there would be a certain amount of disassembly anyway. May as well have a look. Can anyone share their experiences?

Keith

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you are about to make a HUGE mistake here.

FIRST you should remove the radiator and get it tested and fixed or replaced.

THEN a pressure test of the rest of the cooling system should tell you whether or not there are any other leaks.

Tearing an engine down to see if there are any internal coolant leaks is not a prudent thing to do......in my opinion.

P.S. Since you have been running it some, checking the crankcase and oil for frothy white foam would be a good first "test" to see if any water is getting into the oil.

#3 ·
I agree...unless the oil is contaminated with water then you are jumping the gun a bit pulling the motor down. As ER says do a pressure test...then if there are leaks remove the rad to pressure test just that. Not too difficult to get at the radiator on these...the oil cooler is a separate item from memory.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.