Motorcycle Forum banner

New to forum, and motorcycles

6K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone! I just got my motorcycle endorsement last September. I've wanted it for years but never had a wife who would allow it...now I do. Now my next hurdle is to find the bike I want and in my budget, which is low. Very low! The bike I want is is a R1100GS or 1150. I'm basically looking for a project bike, which is all I can afford. Craig's List and Cycletrader are worthless so I thought I'd have better luck on forums like these. Oh, I live in Delaware which I found has a low BMW rider population. People here ride all sorts of bikes, just not BMW it seems. I'm open to any suggestions, I love the bikes.

#3 ·
Congrats on getting the license. If you haven't taken the MSF rider course, it would be a good idea to take it.

As far as getting the bike you can afford, I see the best deals on CL. On motorcycle forums, people tend to overprice their bikes and not many fellow bikers are going to tell them they're overpriced. :) Of course, you see lots of overpriced bikes on CL also, but just give them time to figure out their bike isn't worth as much as they think it is.
That's an interesting choice for a first bike, planning on off-roading?

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Look around here a bit and you'll notice that we always recommend that you start with a smaller bike - a 1100 or 1150 is a whole lot of bike in terms of power and weight. If you're looking for a project bike, you really should start with something much smaller - something like a 450 or so. You can always move up to a bigger bike when you feel that you've "outgrown" the smaller bike (which is hardly ever the case - there are very few people who really ride a bike to the limits of it's capabilities). In any case, it's better to start small and make the beginner mistakes (dropping the bike, etc.) with a bike that can be repaired easily. A BMW boxer is a wonderful bike, but the parts aren't cheap and they aren't available in every shop. A smaller Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki will be much cheaper to buy and maintain while you're learning.

#9 ·
The way it works in GA, all that is required is to pass the written test and the riding skills test. Some people have been known to just take the written test which allows you to get a learner's permit, and they just keep renewing the permit, rather than take the skills test. Not really recommended of course, but it happens.

An optional way is to take the MSF basic course which will teach you the material and skill drills, then gives you the written test and skills test. If you pass, then you get a waiver that you take to the DMV and pay a small fee and get your license. This is what I did and I'm glad. I thought about teaching myself to ride but after going through the course, I learned so much stuff I would not have thought I needed to know (and practice). I always highly recommend the course to anyone who asks me about riding a motorcycle.

#11 ·
I agree with others, too much bike for a beginner and being the bikes you are looking for as a project are a very reliable platform you'll find that any not in running shape are probably pretty well worn out if you can even find one.
It's not just your area,BMW have a strong and dedicated following but they are relatively few compared with the likes of Harley or Honda.
My best advice is buy a common small used UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) at low cost,build your skills and save for the bike you really want and buy one that is a good runner. You can always flip the UJM to someone else when you are done with it, you'll be money ahead in the long run.
Project bikes with few exceptions are almost always a money losing proposition and starting on a bike with too much performance for your skill level can have dire consequences.

#16 ·
I agree with others, too much bike for a beginner and being the bikes you are looking for as a project are a very reliable platform you'll find that any not in running shape are probably pretty well worn out if you can even find one.
This. Seriously.
Start smaller. You will be happy you did.
NOBODY gets the bike they really want the first time.

#12 ·
I have been riding forever, didn't need a MSF course. Until I was following a herd of Goldwings on a poker run. We had made the wrong turn somewhere. Two lane so small there was no center line. They made u turn and never touched the grass. I made K turn with another letter there.
Theys two instructors with the local CBA/ABATE. Here I have been a member for years and never took the course. It warms up I'll take the program.
2¢worth

tarheel

#13 ·
They made u turn and never touched the grass. I made K turn with another letter there.

tarheel
Hehehe, one of the skills we had to learn was doing an figure 8 inside a box, I think it was 8x20'. It was freaking hard. The ONLY time I got it right was during the actual exam. I still hate that exercise, but practicing it gives me a lot of confidence for the u-turns I've had to make in actual traffic and also in parking lots. It probably isn't a necessary skill for everyday riding, but it's nice to have.

#14 ·
It's good to have skills. When I taught my daughter and a couple of her friends to ride I made them do figure 8s both directions along with the mandatory breaking and acceleration practice. The bike was an older small dual sport with a kick starter and I had them kick start on a hill. My daughter and the young man got their licenses but the other young lady never did.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the advice. As far as the MSC goes, that's how I got my endorsement...passed with flying colors. Now, as far as the BMW motorcycles, I just love them. I'm not very worried about "too much power" starting out but I'm also open to BMW 650. They just seem very hard to find. BMWs are notorious for going to 200,000 miles with a smile. I'm sure other bikes can too but BMWs are so well made. However, I'm not stuck on them so much that I won't consider other brands and work my way to a Beemer. My problem is finding anything at all that I can trust. Cycletrader bikes seem very overpriced and Craig's List seems to be where people get rid of their crap (hence the popular nickname of "Crap List"). I'm noticing that many people seem to price their bikes emotionally (attachment issues) rather than realistically. I've also noticed a lot of people on CL will end their ads with a stern threat of "no low-ball offers." Since I dont know where that line is drawn I don't feel like dealing with attitude so I pass over those. My guess is they don't want people talking them down in price because they want the dough to pay for their next big toy. In my 6 months experience of looking for a bike the most honest sellers seem to be the ones who just put their bikes in their front yards with a sign on it. They are also the hardest to find. To complicate my search further I don't know what to look for when checking a bike short of a test run so my trust level is low. Then there are the sellers who won't allow you to even touch the bike without my money in their hands first. I can understand that completely but it becomes a Mexican standoff because I'm not about to give a stranger my money and then take the bike for a test run just to return and find the seller has ran off with my money. Are you guys sensing some frustration here? I am. With all these rules of buying & selling a simple motorcycle I don't how one is ever sold at all. It seems I may just end up waiting until that "perfect bike" falls into my lap. By the way, Harley Davidson gives the MSC for $350 per person, but it's free for US veterans...like me. It's an awesome course and I would recommend it to anyone regardless of experience level. There were 3 "experienced" riders in my class, each with 20+ years of riding. Two of them failed miserably. Their worst enemy was their own arrogance. Thanks again for the replies. I was happily surprised to see that I had any at all.

#21 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about the dealer route but my budget is so tight and I thought I would get more bike for my $$ on private sale. I have been looking at a few Gold Wings. I like them, especially the "trunk" space, but I was worried about it being heavy. Not that I plan on lifting it, mind you. That's the bike my wife wants me to get so she can be comfy and not "hanging on for dear life," as she put it. All the GW bikes I've seen are real POS's in my price range. Anyhow, I guess I'm just hoping to find someone who just doesn't ride any more and wants to sell their bike at a reasonable price. Like I said earlier, so far I've only seen bikes in really bad condition, or sellers who are about $600 to $900 too high because they want to upgrade and they won't budge on price. I kinda prefer liquid cooled and shaft drive, too. Most of my riding is going to be distance on country roads. Now and then I'll hit the highways just to get to the region I want to explore. As an example, my wife and I are thinking about going to W. Virginia just to wander around. Wherever we end up is where we go. We are explorers. That's a big reason why I want a BMW R1100/1150GS. They are great for distance, but if we happen to run out of paved road occasionally, we're good. So, except for taking it the 4 miles to work on occasion, I'll be doing mostly distance. Comfort and reliability is a big need.

#23 ·
I have done many dumb things even quite recently I did a hail of boner.
Anyways I have been married twice and promised myself I wouldn't make the same mistakes twice. That said whatever she wants she gets. Makes life easier. You know like when she talking at you and she thinks you're listening.

tarheel

#26 ·
Well, folks, I've made an executive decision about a bike. I found a Honda in reasonably good shape for the year (1985). I forget the model but it runs fine, has a few very minor leaks from old seals, and a dead battery (it starts with a jump). Asking price was $650 but seller agreed to $500. He didn't get the leaks fixed because they are so minor, and because he bought a new bike and use didn't feel like messing with it any more. I called my bike shop and they said it would take about $150 to replace seals and do a basic tuneup, including brake check. And another $65 for a battery. I actually asked the guy if would take it to a bike shop near him and allow me to call them to see what they found...he did. They verified that the leaks were just old seals and a bad radiator cap, but the tires were "ok" but should be replaced due to age, not tread. So it's a done deal. I'm picking it up tomorrow and trailer'ing it back home (neither me nor my wife want to drive the NJ turnpike with my limited experience). I think I should be able to get about $900 for it once it get it fixed/tuned up and new tires. I'll keep it for 2 years and then trade into my Beemer. I just wanted to share that with you. Thanks again for the advice.

#29 ·
but the tires were "ok" but should be replaced due to age, not tread.

Great news.
Exactly how old are the tires ?
If they are over 5 years old, they MUST be replaced.......because old tires tend to fly apart unexpectedly.
If they are that old, you should not use them for anything over 30 mph while practicing out of traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.