Motorcycle Forum banner

Busy day for me...

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  robertc729 
#1 ·
Well, as I mentioned in the other thread, today was a busy day of wrenching. My 1993 Intruder 800 has been sitting since October 2 of last year. I never really meant to let it sit, so I didn't run the carbs out of gas, add fuel stabilizer, remove the battery, or anything else that should be done when a bike is stored. The clutch was slipping when I parked it, and the front brakes worn, so I ordered parts and figured I'd fix it when I had time. I have been riding the old Harley, or the 1400 I got for my GF, so the 800 went on the back burner...

Well, now the battery was dead, and I figured everything would be gummed up. So I aired up the tires, put on the front brake pads ($14), put in a new battery ($38 ), and pulled the case cover to do the clutch. New friction plates, steel plates, and springs (about $75 total) were installed, and I changed the fluid. The brake fluid checked OK, the rear drive fluid was good, the coolant was fine, and the air cleaners were OK, so I put in fresh oil and figured I'd try to start the beast, but would end up pulling the carbs and changing the fuel out.

I pulled out the choke, crossed my fingers, and hit the starter...

The starter ran for about a second and a half, then the beast fired up and ran like a champ! The motor sounds great (Rotilla 15W-40 oil), and she runs like a scalded dog. The aftermarket (EBC) clutch is a lot smoother than the OEM one, and of course it grabs a lot better than the worn one.

I can't believe it fired right up after almost 8 months! What a great, great bike the 800 is!

I need to put the tag back on it this week, but she is ready for a dragon run!

See less See more
#3 ·
Good to hear, DrB. I think you can usually get away with negligence once without gumming things up too badly, but it's when you do it repeatedly that the gasoline varnish really messes things up.

#4 ·
robertc729 said:
Good job getting it up and running, I only wish I knew how do all those things, I could save myself some serious money when it comes to maintenance issues other than oil changes.
Get a Clymer manual and follow the directions, and most things are easier than they look. Even the clutch only used some basic hand tools: allen wrench for the footpeg braket, 8mm socket for the case bolts, 9mm (or maybe it was a 10mm?) socket for the clutch bolts, 17mm wrench for the oil drain plug, and a razor blade to scrape the old gasket off. A torque wrench to re-install the clutch bolts completed the kit. Except for the razor and the torque wrench all are found in your toolkit on the bike. The front brakes need only a philips head screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers, and the battery used a 10mm socket and a philips head. None of the work required a lift.

#5 ·
I tinker around with things that I have no use for just to see what the outcome is, but anything I do not have a solid understanding of, that I will have to rely on (bike, car) I will leave to someone more qualified than myself. I am learning more though, I helped my brother in law change the starter and alternator in his Goldwing a couple days ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.