C50 oil Change - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C50 oil Change

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    You don't need a lift. As far as seeing the site glass, if the 50 is the same as the 90 then it is difficult. I made it impossible to see the glass by installing pipes that mostly cover it. I don't have a lift so I grab my neighbor to look into the magic glass. Ain't I smart?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    Hey ER, maybe you could change your name to BLUNTFORCE!! Sounds cool to me.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
    Hey ER, maybe you could change your name to BLUNTFORCE!! Sounds cool to me.

That should about do it!!
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    HA HA!! Guess you didn't like it huh? Can't be much more blunt than that. Guess I will go to my room and now.

Mark, what I find amazing isn't your opinion on oil, but your statement that most modern motorcycles are water cooled. I just bought an '07 C90T last April, and it's oil/air cooled. Because the C50 is water cooled, I would have thought the C90 is also water cooled, but not so.

My friend's Harley manual says that if he can't find Harley oil, use a high grade diesel oil. I use Rotella T diesel oil in my C90T, and it works fine.

If you change the thermostat to a lower temp, or drill a 1/8" hole in the stat, the overall engine temp WILL DROP. The operating temperature for 4-stroke engines are governed by a few things; emissions (top reason), and combustion efficiency as the top two, the other for CARS is heat in the interior. So, why is there a thermostat in these bikes? EMISSIONS and EFFICIENCY only, since there is no real catalyst system. AND, the temp musy be high for a catalyst system to even work. This is why short trips r (under 5 miles), you produce higher emissions than at full operating temp.

Remove the thermostat and see what happens. MPG will drop, but the engine will be cooler than ever. I have done this with cars and bikes, and I know what the results are. Bash this all you want, but till you do the math and REMOVE the stat, or drill a hole for bypass, you have NO CLUE.

If you use Synthetic 10W40 or 20W50 (higher climate areas) you will be fine all across the board. I have a car with 128,000+ miles, all original w/2.5 V6, used Syn since DAY ONE and it runs like DAY ONE too. Oh, and it is a DODGE, and it's still running like I just bought it.

There is no reason for these bikes to run as hot as they do except for FEDERAL emissions laws, period. However, I am sure I will see what the S.S. has to say about it...
    Last edited by Powerslave; 03-21-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard C90 Black
    Am I the only one who has trouble seeing the oil through the sight glass? Help/suggestions.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by captjaneway3 View Post
    Am I the only one who has trouble seeing the oil through the sight glass? Help/suggestions.
    No, you have LOTS of company.

Best suggestion I have seen is: Get another person to help hold the bike upright. This also allows you to observe the window as the bike is being set upright from a lean. The oil level in the window is often easier to see when it is moving.

Now.........if you had a bike that weighs only 300 lbs., then you could manage it all yourself!!
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    06' C50 (Blue/Gray)
    Quote Originally Posted by captjaneway3 View Post
    You can easily check the oil level yourself, just go to the auto store first and pick up a telescoping mechanic's mirror. I got the one from Advance Auto as it has a larger mirror than others I've seen. Then get on the bike & bring it upright and angle the mirror to view the sight glass.
    -Sandman

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    You can easily check the oil level yourself, just go to the auto store first and pick up a telescoping mechanic's mirror. I got the one from Advance Auto as it has a larger mirror than others I've seen. Then get on the bike & bring it upright and angle the mirror to view the sight glass.
    That's what I do. Actually, any old mirror will do. I have a small one my wife gave me and I keep it in my riding jacket. I still would prefer a good ole dipstick to this window idea. Now, the question is, how do you check the coolant level? The manual says to look in it's window but, there's a cover on it. The only way I can think of is to remove the cover. Just a minor pain in the backside.
    2006 Suzuki C50T

Somebody moved my cheese!?! I wonder if it's under my parachute?

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    06' C50 (Blue/Gray)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiBD View Post
    That's what I do. Actually, any old mirror will do. I have a small one my wife gave me and I keep it in my riding jacket. I still would prefer a good ole dipstick to this window idea. Now, the question is, how do you check the coolant level? The manual says to look in it's window but, there's a cover on it. The only way I can think of is to remove the cover. Just a minor pain in the backside.
    I still prefer the telescoping mirror because there is no bending over involved. My thought is if you have to bend over, you might end up leaning the bike a bit and in doing so, not getting an entirely accurate read.

About checking coolant, yup, remove the cover.
    -Sandman

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I still prefer the telescoping mirror because there is no bending over involved. My thought is if you have to bend over, you might end up leaning the bike a bit and in doing so, not getting an entirely accurate read.

About checking coolant, yup, remove the cover.
    Or, if you are getting up it age, you may experience a head rush and get a bit tipsy

I have long, ape-like arms so, I'm not bending down all that much.
    2006 Suzuki C50T

Somebody moved my cheese!?! I wonder if it's under my parachute?

Quote Originally Posted by Skully View Post
    Should the oil filter be tightened as an automobile?
    Hand tight, then a 1/4 turn?
    I just hand tighten mine. I tried that extra little turn bull, and I had to use the ole' srew driver through the filter trick to get it off the next oil change.
    Last edited by brncloss; 04-11-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links