Middle TN area riders..
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1999 vs800 intruder

Middle TN area riders..

...I'm on a few forums. On one of them, a few Middle TN area riders have indicated interest in learning a bit more about how to do some specific maintenance tasks on their S50 or VS800.

Being a guy that likes to give back to the communities that have helped me, I'm trying to set up a meet & greet at Sloans in Murfreesboro, TN, on Saturday, June 7th. I'll have my VS800 and can show you how to do something with it as a guinnea pig or yours. With mine, I can do it, with yours, I'll let you do it (in case you scratch your paint, you blame yourself, not me. )

I figure we can meet for food (breakfast, lunch, or early dinner) at some point and spend a few hours just chatting about bikes, favorite rides, etc. I have a few locations in mind (Hooters is always good, Demos - wondeful steaks, Buster's Place, good biker friendly bar that has burgers & onion rings that are hard to beat)....or folks can suggest something else or maybe even only participate in the chat/infomercials.

I have a few friends that live in the area (I did for 10 years and graduated MTSU in 2005) and one has a nice big paved driveway that'll house a few bikes if somebody needs a little work done. Dunno about y'all, but I'd much rather work in the shade as opposed to blistering sun. He's also got a garage stall open in case it rains: we could still do some work a bike or two at a time.

What we can cover (and do for somebody's bike if need be) is up to you and is only limited by my limited knowledge. I can and have done the following personally:
    • oil change - 15 minutes tops
    • coolant flush - 15-45 minutes, depending on bike
    • air filter change - 15-45 minutes, depending on bike
    • battery change - 15-120 minutes, depending on bike (no joke, my wife's VS800 requires one half of the exhaust system to be removed, mine I can do in 15 minutes)
    • final drive oil change - 10 minutes
    • wire up stebel nautilus airhorn - 45-60 minutes
    • carb sync - 15-45 minutes
    • change needles and/or main jets - 1-3 hours, depending on bike, requires carb sync when done, but I won't do this at the group meeting: too involved for many folks to gain much from just watching. Would rather help somebody here on a case by case basis.

I would only request that if you want to see something done, you let me/us know ahead of time so we can have the correct supplies/tools on hand. Also realize, time _is_ limited. We can allocate a couple hours to help a few people, but obviously I can't help everybody do every task on every bike. Dr. Bob's the instructor, I'm just a guy trying to help spread the word.

No charge to help you with learning these tasks. Yuengling and food is appreciated, though.

Don't need anything done, know how to do it? Great, come along and help and/or just enjoy the company.

I might even get that buddy of mine convinced to throw some burgers/dogs up on a grill (now wondering if he _has_ a grill ...).

Anyways, let me know if you'd like to attend. I figure Sloans is the best meeting point to start with. It's about a 15-20 minute ride across town (next to campus) to get to Mark's house if we end up doing some work...and all 3 food places are along the way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1999 vs800 intruder
    Oh yeah...forgot front brake pads, can help with that, too. And brake/clutch fluid flushes.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black S50
    That's a generous offer Roger. I hope some people take advantage of it. I'll be in KY the week before but when you do this I'll be back in WI. Besides, I don't have a bike right now.

-Mike

[Edit] I understand now. DrBob won't be there in person. As a former rider of a S50 a soon to be a rider again of another S50, I have appreciated the very specific knowledge of DrBob has contributed for Intruders/S50s, along with help from other S50 riders at M-J, including Roger. Thanks.
    Last edited by Thundurburd; 05-22-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    As much as I've tried to get lost, everywhere I went, there I was.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1999 vs800 intruder
    Dr. Bob didn't offer...I did. Some of what I am helping with, I learned through Dr. Bob.

Just needed to clear that up. He's welcome to ride up & join me though!

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1999 vs800 intruder
    Got 3 confirmed to attend so far (from another board).

Details thus far: Meeting Saturday morning at Sloans at 10:00 am. Meet/greet, look around at bikes/accessories, wait for stragglers, and leave Sloans at 11:00 am for lunch at either Buster's Place or Hooters. I have no preference, so will leave it up to the group/people present to decide.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1999 vs800 intruder
    Update: Plans have to change. We will be meeting June 14th at Sloans at 10:00 am.

Sponsored Links