Engine Knock?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Knock?

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    08 C90/82 XJ750seca

Engine Knock?

Hi all, We just bought a C90 08. I have 250 miles on it I noticed a not sure if it is a knock or valve noise while engine is under load such as rev up in each gear. If I put the bike in neutral and rev it up I can here what sounds like the valves. Never having a C90 before I am not sure if this is normal or if there is something wrong with the engine. Hope someone can help with this.
    TheMo

08 C90

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

JJW
    My Bike(s)
    C50C
    Next tank of gas, buy premium (high octane) and if the engine knock goes away, it was pre-ignition not valves.
    If the noise is still there it "may" be the valves.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    08 C90/82 XJ750seca
    Quote Originally Posted by JJW View Post
    Next tank of gas, buy premium (high octane) and if the engine knock goes away, it was pre-ignition not valves.
    If the noise is still there it "may" be the valves.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    OK thanks John, I was thinking the same thing myself even though the book calls for 87 octane.
    TheMo

08 C90

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 suzuki c50
    My C50 will sound terrible on anything less than premium JJW has a good suggestion.I don't know how much different a C90 is than a C50.
    :Live to ride........Ride to work
    Proud Air Force Dad of my Airman at Ramstein AFB,Germany

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    IMO higher octane will do nothing. This engine has been designed to run on 87. Putting in higher octane could decrease your performance, mpg. 92 octane is a slow burn and primarily for higher compression engines. 87 is a faster burn and primarily for lower compression engines. You probably just got a bad batch of fuel.

Your bike is brand spankin new so there really should not be anything mechanically wrong. You say you have only 250 miles on the clock????? You are sure??? If the problems persists after running a new batch of fuel you had better go to the dealer. Another 200>300 miles you will need your 1st service anyway.

I would: check oil level just to make sure she is lubed properly. The dealer could have screwed up!! Are you familiar with checking oil on the C90? Run the bike for 3 min. Shut down let stand for 3 min. Check oil with bike on a level surface and standing upright. If you cannot see the site glass get some help. I usually have my daughter do this while I check.

Try adding a fuel stabalizer for a couple of tanks. Some C90 riders use Marvel Mystery Oil a few times a year. BTW what oil are you using. Some LC/C90 riders have had knocking issies when using Amsoil. After your 1st dealer check, I would not do more than 1, switch to RotellaT syn 5-40. Great stuff and can be had in any Walmart.

For some good info go here and here

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deertracker57 View Post
    My C50 will sound terrible on anything less than premium JJW has a good suggestion.I don't know how much different a C90 is than a C50.
    What is the recommended fuel for the fiddy? It does have a higher compression ratio from the 90

C50 9.4:1
    C90 8.5:1

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    08 C90/82 XJ750seca
    Thanks all for your replies, Been riding bikes for close to 50 years on and off but this is my first C90. The only thing I can see is the dealer has to much oil in the bike. I always put the bike on a jack to check the oil and I noticed the whole inspection window was full. How much over I am not sure, this was done by the dealer when I picked up the bike, Not sure if this would be the problem with the what seems to be a valve noise at high rpm. I did call the dealer and told him so next week when I bring it in for the 600 mile they will check it out.
    TheMo

08 C90

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    Too much oil can be just as bad as too little. The oil will foam up and not lubricate properly.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Motavator View Post
    I always put the bike on a jack to check the oil and I noticed the whole inspection window was full.
    To get an accurate reading, the bike needs to be straight up AND level, front to back. Putting it on a jack may not keep it level and might result in a wrong reading. When viewed properly, it the level is just barely up to the top of the glass, that should not cause a problem.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    07 c90t,purple leds on engine,kurakin rear pegs..crash bars,cobra dragsters power commander
    i have a noise in my 90 also ,i took it to the dealer and a factyory rep came and checked out. he claims this is normal for the 90. so im riding it and if anything happens its under warranty till2011 .the rep said with the hydralic valves there is no adjustment so you get what you get. also i tryed every brand and octane of gas there is in the poconos pa. it still makes the noise.....even switched to suzuki synthetic oil!!!!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    What conditions does the knocking occur? Only start up or just under load. I have been reading up on this a bit. If only start up then possibly using certain synthetics, Amsoil seems to be the worst on cold startup for knocking on the 90, could be the culprit. Others that have had this problem say that it takes 200>300 miles for the condition to stop. I don't know cuz my bike does not knock so I know this is not a normal condition. I would go here and ask all the experts.

If the oil doesn't flow properly on start up, it can cause some issues.
    The most wear an engine will have is on a cold start up if the oil doesn't pressurize fast enough. My understanding is that Rotella 5W-40 oil will flow a lot faster than a 10W oil. The other thing to consider is the valve lash adjusters that some call lifters.These are oil filled cushions between the rocker and the valve stem. When they empty them self, the cushion is gone and that's where you will hear the knocking. Once the oil warms up and gets thinner, the lash adjuster will fill up with oil and remove any slop between the two. That could be your problem so trying the Rotella will tell you if it is or not.

Other possible causes, valve clatter from Clymer

1. air trapped in hydraulic lifter (this could cause the knocking under load)
    2. defective hydraulic lifter (always)
    3. decomp. cable my need adjusting (knocking at startup)
    4. weak or broken valve spring (always)
    5. worn rocker arm and/or shaft (always)
    6. worn crankshaft journal (always)

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    08 C90/82 XJ750seca
    Interesting enough it does not make the nose until the engine gets warmed up, it is quiet when I first start and a few minutes later.
    TheMo

08 C90

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki C109RT
    My C109RT is doing the same thing..When I go from 3rd --> 4th it's very noticeable..I'm running premium fuel as recommended and I only have a bit over 1800mi on her...The dealer has done all the recommended service.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 suzuki c50
    Fuel recommended for a c50 is 87 octane.But everytime I've used it I get a ping in my engine when I start off.I started using premium and have had no more problems and still get from 48 to 50 mpg.The last time I checked my plugs they were clean as a whistle.As long as this works I don't mind paying a little more for gas.
    Last edited by deertracker57; 01-17-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    :Live to ride........Ride to work
    Proud Air Force Dad of my Airman at Ramstein AFB,Germany

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    08 C90/82 XJ750seca
    Goes to show all things are not created equal. I will be taking it to the dealer for the 600 mile check soon so I will let them check it out so they can put it on paper for posible future problems.
    TheMo

08 C90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links