Synthetic Oil? - Page 4
  • Login:

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Oil?

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    Still, I suspect anything over 1/2 quart in 2 - 3,000 miles excessive with synthetic.
    Why do you qualify that by saying "with synthetic" ??

Do you still believe that urban legand about synthetic leaking more ??

I ran mine last season with Mobil 1 for about 3,500 miles and didn't need to add a drop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    but, as my truck owners' manual states "some vehicles use more oil than others."

Still, I suspect anything over 1/2 quart in 2 - 3,000 miles excessive with synthetic.

Heck, the only way I can tell when it's time to change oil is the shifting gets a bit sticky; then after about a week with new oil, the bike shifts better again.

Without any discernable use of oil.
    Business as usual with a Buell in fine working order.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    Do you still believe that urban legand about synthetic leaking more ?
    What I believe is, if you take an old high mileage car, synthetic oil may find ways to leak around stuff.

Starting to think those cars would have to be pretty old and very high mileage; and already burning some oil with regular stuff.

Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    What I believe is, if you take an old high mileage car, synthetic oil may find ways to leak around stuff.

Starting to think those cars would have to be pretty old and very high mileage; and already burning some oil with regular stuff.
    Can't really agrue with that.

I've heard reports that leakage might increase dramatically if you try to flush out all the sludge in an old engine too.
    Seems that the sludge actually plugs some leaks.

My Bike(s)
    starting to come around to the train of thought that with most cars these days, the main source of "burning oil" is shot valve seals.

Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    starting to come around to the train of thought that with most cars these days, the main source of "burning oil" is shot valve seals.
    Can't argue with that either.

It's often pretty easy to tell though......as oil runs DOWN when the engine is shut off.

If there is a puff of blue smoke when first started cold, that's a dead give-away.......as oil won't run UP past worn rings.

Now, if you have an engine with horizontal pistons, it gets a little trickier !!

My Bike(s)
    like BMW motorcycles, Porsche with their flat sixes or the old venerated VW?

Don't really believe "sludge" plugs anything; if anything, sludge merely slows / stops the flow of oil to critical engine components.

Engine sludge and engine sludging occur (to my belief) where the engine runs hot / hottest and the regular oil simply fries like bacon.

Which brings me to my next belief, modern engines were not designed for regular oil.

By modern, heck, you can go back 15 - 20 years on that one.

My 1980 yahama ran better on synthetic, and if anybody told me that a couple years before I changed, they might have got some pretty funny looks.

Now, regular oil is good enough for the lawn mower, but not anything I value.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Don't really believe "sludge" plugs anything; if anything, sludge merely slows / stops the flow of oil to critical engine components.
    Yet if it accumulated, it wouldn't stop a tiny leak in a non-pressurized gasket ??

You have some "interesting" beliefs.......and some really incomplete information.

By definition, sludge isn't "sludge" until it stops flowing.

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Kind of a hijack but not really...still in the spirit of the topic.

InRe: New oil in an old sludge infested engine. I've heard that the detergents in new oils break down the sludge and whatnot in an engine. If you've stayed on top of your oil changes and maintenance you'll be fine, but if you take an engine that you're unsure of it's provenance, an oil change could, in theory, rip away the "sludge scabs" so to speak and create problems. I.E. oil leaks. Given that logic, the problems were always there, just ignored? I can understand that, but why do some mechanics advise not to change the oil in an leaky engine? Just add to it as it gets low. Wouldn't the detergents do the same thing?

In the same vein...what about Auto Transmissions? Is there really a varnish that spreads the ________? IIRC, I've been told gears, but that would be damn near impossible, no? And consequently, fresh fluid's detergents eats that varnish, leaves a space, that allows the Trans. to slip. I don't buy it, but it's vaguely logical.....Or is a slipping Trans. more a function of old fluid thinning out, and not providing the same hydraulic pressure as fresh fluid?

My Bike(s)
    automatic transmissions need changing mostly because fine metal grit builds up and eventually the baffle gets saturated.

Along with the magnet on the bottom of the pan.

As far as Easy's comments, true enough, not a mech for a living, but I still hold the line that engines built the last 20 years were pushing the limits of regular oil. Chrysler 2.7 liter engines (in my opinion) didn't have a problem with sludging insofar as they should have been using synthetic oil because regular oil was literally being fried - most probably due to poor design and insufficient field testing.

My Bike(s)
    95 Suzuki Intruder VS1400
    I run amsoil 10-40 in my inyruder. With no problems.

My Bike(s)
    don't know if there is a bad synthetic, some must be better than others - calls for SAE to create another standard seeing as they are at SM and everybody meets that with the schmutz they put in a bottle now.

and going back to automatic transmissions, subaru has been using an actual filter vs the baffle that GM (among others) has been using for decades.

Synthetic oil

Quote Originally Posted by dapiper View Post
    I'd bet anything this question is a repeated repeat, but I can't find the thread. I have an '06 C 50 Limited, at what point (mileage) should I change to synthetic oil and why? Some guys also say they use automotive synthetic in their bikes, doesn't sound right, is this an option?
    You can use synthetic oil when the engine is brand new. I think you are referring to high mileage oil, that should not be used in motorcycles with wet clutches, because it can cause slippage.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by wjgonzalez View Post
    You can use synthetic oil when the engine is brand new. I think you are referring to high mileage oil, that should not be used in motorcycles with wet clutches, because it can cause slippage.
    Nope and nope.

While you CAN use synthetic from the start, the conventional wisdom is to AT LEAST let it go to the recommended first change......some say second change.
    This on the "theory" that you need dino oil to get a proper break-in. Largely an urban myth, I think.......but I wait anyway.

It is not "high mileage" oil that causes clutch slippage. That term is used on oils designed for use in old, high mileage engines.
    The problem is with "energy conserving" oil (that is supposed to increase gas mileage slightly) because of the super-slippery additives, usually Moly.

Oh, and welcome to the fourm !!

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Many performance cars come from the factory with synthetic oil in the engines. Perhaps they know something no one else knows. In my opinion waiting some period of time to make the change to synthetic is one of those old wives tales you hear repeted over and over. I have changed to synthetic oil at my first oil change (around 600 miles) with no negetive results on all my last few new bikes. I am not one of those who will call anyone who disagrees with my opinion stupid so just do what is comfortable for you and ignore the others.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links