S 50 exhaust spitting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    GZ250

S 50 exhaust spitting

Hi - I own a GZ250 but have been looking at used S50's to purchase. The cleanest one has low miles for the year (read it has probably not been run enough) but even after the seller had dealer "check it over" the exhaust "spits". Primarily when cold according to seller.

I know its hard to access from a post like this but i'd love opinions. Is this primarily a case of run a few tanks of gas through it? Maybe add carb cleaner? Or is this "spitting" indicative of something more? Maybe carb breakdown and cleaning?

I'd appreciate any input. I'm no mechanic and the best my local dealer will say is "$600 dollars labor" to cover the basics.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
    Lifestyle Advertising Photographer based in Florida l Robert Holland

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    I have a 2007 S50 that I bought new and I have had some problems with the carbs. They were set a little too lean from the factory and the bike would sputter and sometimes stall. The dealership adjusted them and it helped a little but a good local mechanic cleaned and rejetted them for 96 bucks last year. Suzuki carbs (all carbs?) need to be properly prepared for winter storage and have some carb cleaner run through them once in a while. I do have a ball on my S50, it's very fast and it handles well.Very "leanable" in the corners. I wouldn't want to go cross country on one though because it's a little small. It's so easy to maintain too. 10 minutes to change oil, 25 minutes to change plugs, 10 minutes to change rear drive oil. Good luck!

My Bike(s)
    GZ250

S 50 Exhaust spitting

Thanks - were the carbs cleaned without tearing them apart? $96 - great rate.

I've now ridden another S50 and its not as bad as first one - but its crazy how long they appear to need warmup(?) Is that true in general or have I just stumbled on two like that?
    Last edited by rhollandphoto; 03-17-2011 at 01:12 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki GZ250 - for starter, now Suzuki S50, Honda PC800 and Yamaha TW200
    How are you? Me, Marc, from GZ250bike.com.
    What do you mean by "crazy how long they appear to need warmup?" How many minutes/miles are you talking about?
    Mine needs the choke to start up if it's been sitting overnight or if it's cold, and that's normal. Depending on the temp, it may need to warm up for a min or two, which I usually let happen when I'm putting on my helmet, glasses, gloves, zipping up my jacket. I will ride off with a little choke still on, but within a 1/2- 1 mile, it's warm enough to turn down and off the choke and rides great, and doesn't need choke to restart it during the day unless it's really cold out.
    How did you like the ride, comfort, handling, power, compared to the GZ? Nice bike, right?

My Bike(s)
    GZ250
    Hi - rides very nice. I've found a few nice ones to choose from. Ridden a couple of low mileage, nice condition ones. Handles nice - feels smaller than it is - which is great. . Seat, handling much like GZ but actually felt more cramped. The foot pegs are high for me I think. I'm seeing if I can figure how to lower them - move forward or something.

The warmup thing is tough though. Maybe I just drove two odd ones but I drove a few miles and never was quite able to take choke off. One really lurches, spit with too little or too much choke. Guessing jets could be adjusted to correct this(?) I could adapt to that. The GZ may have me spoiled though. Such a quick startup - which will be nice in summer when I'm melting!

Going to try and ride one more - then decide if the S50 is for me.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black S50
    I've had two S50s. The first one started like crap, I suspect it had a choke problem. The second starts and runs better but that's probably because I had it re-jetted for custom pipes. I didn't like the pipes so I went back to the stock units but kept the jetting the same. With it like this it starts good and runs nice with about the same gas mileage as before. Re-jetting in the shop involves about 2 hours hours or more labor if I remember correctly. I'd buy one that runs right and wouldn't "adjust" if it's not.

The S50 though is probably not the best bike for a tall person. I'm 5'-7" and it's perfect for me. Love it though, it's a keeper.
    As much as I've tried to get lost, everywhere I went, there I was.

My Bike(s)
    GZ250
    Thanks Thundurburd - so far sellers all mention about start-up and thats what I notice when riding them too. I'll keep my eyes open. But the cramped feeling I get feeling that the pegs are too high is noticeable - something I could get used to though maybe. Appreciate the input.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    [QUOTE=rhollandphoto;642083]Thanks - were the carbs cleaned without tearing them apart? $96 - great rate.

He had to take one apart because the slide was stuck wide open and it was spewing gas. It runs great now, but it does take several minutes to warm up. Give me time to put on the helmet and jacket.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by rhollandphoto View Post
    The warmup thing is tough though. One really lurches, spit with too little or too much choke.
    There is some variation from one bike to another. My GZ always was VERY cold blooded and my Shadow is too but not as bad.

First, you should give it at least 30 seconds to a minute to warm up before starting out; THEN it is not unusual to need some choke for a few miles, maybe as many as 5 and a few stops if it's cold out.

Being sure that your basic idle speed is not too LOW can help too.

It might help this discussion a bit if you could explain what you mean by "spit". It's not a term that comes up often.

P.S. Where abouts in Fla. are you ??
    I'm just getting a new place in shape in Ocala.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Sorry for a little thread hijack, but -
    ER - you moving down here? 150+/- miles away? OMG. What am I going to do?
    Seriously? Permanently? Vacation home? Let me know when you get down here.
    We have to meet. At least once.
    Last edited by mrlmd; 03-23-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    And for rhollandphoto - I just found this, read these thoughts on the S50. I don't know what you just got, but here's other opinions on this bike. I'm going to put this over on GZ250 bike also.

Suzuki Boulevard S40 vs Suzuki Boulevard S50 | Best Beginner Motorcycles

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    Vacation home? Let me know when you get down here.
    We have to meet. At least once.
    6 months. Back north the end of April, hopefully back on a bike trip for the NASCAR race in July and then back for the winter about the first of November.

As for meeting......I thought that would be interesting at one point too but after all the stuff you called me in the GZ forum, I'm inclined to decline that invitation.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    That's fine, your choice.
    "As for meeting......I thought that would be interesting at one point too but after all the stuff you called me in the GZ forum, I'm inclined to decline that invitation."
    And that goes both ways. I was just only trying to reach out the hand of friendship, bury the hatchet, etc., say hello to a fellow biker.
    I should have known better. See ya.

My Bike(s)
    GZ250
    mrlmd i've read that article - thanks. ridden a couple s50's now. great bike. just does not fit me. my long legs just don't work on it. i love the weight and easy to steer front end. for now its the GZ and a borrowed C50 to see how I like it -

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    I wonder if the foot controls be extended forward to fit you. Maybe someone on here can answer that. If everything else about the bike you like, maybe that is an option, although I'm sure you can find something else that you feel comfortable on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links