Spark Plugs
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C 50 Limited

Spark Plugs

I am getting ready to do my first motorcycle tune up, my 2006 C50 Limited's first also. Bought a Clymer Manual on line and am ready to get serious. Before I lift the tank, I wanted to ask some "old salts" if there is a spark plug preference? The book recommends a set of NGK DPR7EA or a set of ND X22EPR-U9. Is there a difference between the two, or do I have more choices? Most of my miles are road miles with some city driving. I live in Florida, so its year round. Stock pipes, if that makes a difference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    I put NGK iridium plugs in my bike last summer, and I swear that the bike ran better than ever. Here's a link for you. http://ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder...cles/step3.asp

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    I would suggest replacing the plugs with the same type as are in it now unless there is a compelling reason to change plugs. Usually the expensive plugs don't work better, they just last longer. This might be an issue on an automobile where the change interval is around 100k but not necessary on a cycle where most people will never ride that kind of milage.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 suzukic50t, 1970 suzuki ac50, 1968 sears campus 50
    I agree with the Iridium NGK, should go at least 50,000 miles (I have 10,000 miles on them without a glich), just don't forget to coat the threads with anti-seize lube just in case they need removed for some reason.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C 50 Limited
    I ended up with the same type I took out. I would have had to order the $13.00 Iridium plug and they had the stock plug right now, besides I love taking the tank off every now & then. Really appreciate the info from everyone, thanks!!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C 50 Limited
    Well, I managed to get the tank off without spilling much of the liquid gold. The Clymer's Manual was very helpful, although you have to look in several different chapters to get it done. Took me two hours but that included going after the spark plugs, amazing how when you call them on the phone they have 17 plugs. But when you get there, they are fresh out - but can order them. For a cheap old Scot, it worked out well though, $30 for the manual, would have cost $80 plus parts & shop cost for the tune up. I think I'll invest the $50 in a decent bottle of Single Malt, MacAllen's sounds good..........

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    That's why I went with the iridiums. They last much longer.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C 50 Limited
    Camp, the iridium's come with a cooler number, I'm assuming, as we have the same engine that a cooler plug make no difference? The clerk (not a mechanic) I talked with wasn't sure what the difference would be. Does it make the engine run cooler?

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    I'm not sure,sorry. The C50 and the S50 have totally different engines, even though they are the same displacement. The S50 has a higher compression ratio. Here's a previous post that explains the differences.. http://www.motorcycleforums.net/foru...50-vs-s50.html

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C 50 Limited
    Who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to change them again there will be Iridium plugs for the C50.... Thanks again!

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    Yeah, this website is hard to navigate. Try this page. It does list only up to 2005 though , so maybe it won't work. http://ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder...d=2959&type=ir You would think that NGK would have a better parts locator.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C109R and C50T
    GMAN Industries sells them for 11 each plus shipping
    PF-IRD7C50 is the SKU for it.
    Link is Iridium7 Suzuki C50 - Iridium Spark Plugs - GMan Industries, LTD.
    He has a number of aftermarket parts for the Suzuki bikes and is a great guy, met him a couple of times while I was up in the Seattle area.
    Really passionate about his bikes.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Iridium, platinum, gold. Save your money, buy standard plugs per the owners manual, don't read all the superstitious BS you'll see. If they tend to gunk up with gas deposits go for a hotter plug (one rating up); if the electrodes burn or disintegrate go one step cooler. Clean and check the gap every few thousand miles if it makes you feel better and change when recommended.

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    How many miles on your bike,did you even need plugs?....you have to pull the gas tank to change plugs?..what a PITA.
    I do plugs in the Harley about every 50K miles with same as stock,on my 3rd new set and never had a fouled plug.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    One of the cheapest places to buy spark plugs is ADVANCE AUTO, buy on line and pick up at your local store. No shipping charge if they are stocked in your local Advance store. I just ordered NGK iridium plugs for my 750 nighthawk, $8.99 ea plus by ordering on line I got a 20% discount and no shipping charge since they are stocked locally.

The only negative is their web site is a bit difficult to navigate but it is manageable.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links