Winter Riding
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Winter Riding

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Winter Riding

I have a 2007 m50. I'm trying to make it more comfortable for cold weather riding. If any one can help me with this it would be great. Such things as what windshield and hardware will work and where I can get said products or heated grips. I don't know what diameter bars are on it either. Like I said, any information will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    I have a 2007 m50. I'm trying to make it more comfortable for cold weather riding.
    I found that a one-piece snowmobile or ski suit went a long way to staying warm.....but fingers, toes and nose were the real problems.

What's your low temp. target ?? Do you think you could stand riding in the back of an open pickup truck at that temp ??

In general, it is NOT a good idea to ride much below 40 F because there can be hidden ice/frost on the roads when the "reported" temperature is around 38 or so.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    83 Gl650I
    Symtec grip heaters will do a lot for your hands but handguards or a shield to stop the wind is really needed to help the fingertips. Tour Master make great heated gear that works well even without turning on the power. Good insulation factor in their gear. Comfy too. Full sleeve jacket liner, pants and insoles will run off one controller very nicely. A balaclava will do wonders for your face and neck. I wear Red Wing leather guantlets and sometimes put a light cloth glove inside too. Outer clothing should be windproof for best results. A rain suit works well to stop wind.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Have checked out
    Motorcycle Hippo Hands, Handlebar Muffs
    yes they do work, seen a few rides with em in place.

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I've been riding for for over twenty years. I have all the clothing/personal gear. Basically my hands really are about the only thing that gets really cold. I live in the lower east part of Alabama so about the low 30s is as cold as gets for the most part. If there's any chance of ice I drive my truck. I love to ride and have put 32,000 plus miles on my once new m50. Thank you all for your replies but but I'm really looking for specific or technical info as far as what will work on my m50 with little or no fabrication. I know I should buy a bigger bike with the stuff I want already on it but I love my bike and it has tremendous heart felt value to me.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 08-09-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    There are a bunch of aftermarket windshields for the M50 out there. If you scroll around on the M50 forum of this site, you'll see lots of pics of different shields people use. National Cycle hand guards are great in the winter also, and both the hand guards and the windshield can be easily removed in the summer.

Personally, I HATE windshields, so I just put on a full face helmet below 40 degrees, and put on my Gerbing electric gloves and jacket liner. When it gets really cold, in the low 30s, I stick to well travelled roads and add the electric pants liners. I have turned full 10-12 hours days in temps in the single digits (sticking to the interstates to avoid ice) and been perfectly warm in this set up, even without a windshield. I managed to go without a car for about 15 out of the 26 years I have been riding, but I have to admit I was glad for the 4x4 Suburban I bought last October during that big snowstorm over the winter. Getting old I guess.

When I lived way off the paved roads in rural New Hampshire, we'd put dirtbike tires on our Sportsters and ride in the snow. I was a lot younger and stupider back then LOL!
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Basically my hands really are about the only thing that gets really cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    and put on my Gerbing electric gloves
    THAT would seem to me to be the quickest and easiest solution........but I have no practical experience as I am a wuss when it comes to riding in the cold.

My solution to the problem is to winter in Florida !!!

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    09 m50
    wanna trade lumberjack, i live by buffalo,ny and by February ill be out sitting on the bike day dreaming... it sucks

'round her i wear my insulated pants, LAYERS! (jacket, sweatshirt,tshirt,long johns) and my 40$ carhart gloves, there water proof and cold proof, i dug my plow outa the snow.bank by hand when i burried it and my hands never were cold, just sweaty.

baraclove is the best though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I have been using my Gerbing electric gear for about 7 years now, and love it. No need for a million layers to stay warm (being able to actually move easily and turn my head properly is a big safety plus) so it only takes a few seconds to gear up. It has held up well, is washing machine safe, and even when I do not plug them in the gloves are the warmest I have found. the gloves and jacket liner were the best money I ever spent, though the pants were questionable (I wear them maybe once a year) and the socks were a total waste, as I wore them exactly once- they are simply too hot inside by boots, and with the rest of my body being warm my body sends plenty of blood to my feet, and they are just fine with only a pair of wool hunting socks.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    09 m50
    just if ur wearing layers and u fall off, hopefully people look for the largest snowball on the side of the road, cuz that will be you

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2009 special edition boulevard m50
    Whats cold weather? I use a thick leather insulated jacket and leather chaps with my military issued winter gloves.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    And road salt is SO good for any motorcycle unless you own a beater for winter use.

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Man, you dug that thread up from the grave! I ride my bikes every winter. Just dress warm and invest in a taller windshield and some heated grips and you are good to go.

Sponsored Links