Dr. Bob's Intruder exhaust modification.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50

Dr. Bob's Intruder exhaust modification.

Well, I finally did it. I did Dr. Bob's VS800 exhaust mod. I only did stage 1 though because my long bit broke immediately when I tried to drill out the center baffle. The exhaust is noticeably louder, which isn't why I did it, but I think the bike has a little bit more power. My 60 to 100 runs felt pretty strong and I got the front end up a bit at a stop sign without really trying. My son thinks it sounds awesome but he's more of a loud pipes fan than I am. It's not horribly loud but it is deeper and more "muscular". I'll try to see if the MPG goes up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    You'll love it. After all, I rock.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black S50
    Camp, keep us informed about his mod as you get more experience. I've had my S50 for 5 years but still haven't drilled out the pipes. When new I had some V&H exhausts but didn't like then, too loud and actually didn't sound that good to me. When somebody else rode it the sound was great. But when I was on the bike it sounded different to me, too brappy (I just invented that word.) Additionally, the shop couldn't get it to run right so finally I put the OEM pipes back on.

So, I've been reluctant to start drilling because you can't go back if you don't like it. Recently I picked up a used set of S50 exhausts on ebay so now if I go too far I can again put some OEMs back on. Currently I'm trying to get up my nerve to start drilling, a little bit each time, trying not to go too far.

Anyways, opinions are welcome.
    As much as I've tried to get lost, everywhere I went, there I was.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    You do rock Dr. Bob. Thundurburd I will have to let you know how it does. I rode 100 miles Saturday and everything seemed to run well, so I'll try to get some MPG data later. Dr. Bob, I was wondering if it was normal for a little insulation type of material to come out of the pipes.
    Last edited by Camp21178; 07-09-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    just curious how this differs from a standard debaffle?

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Yes, a little packing may come out- this is not uncommon when you drill.

Read the instructions on my website and you'll see what he is talking about. Intruder 800 pipe mod. The VS800 exhaust is very unlike the one on the M50 and C50, so what you think of as a standard debaffle does not work on the Intruder 800/S50.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black S50
    Camp21178, thanks for the update. Seems that you're liking the change so far. I think I will too.

I have complete trust in DrBob, (he does rock,) it's just that in my neighborhood I don't want to make too much noise. I live on a hill so being quiet when I come home is difficult.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    Here's a video of a guy doing the mod on Youtube. This guy is a hoot.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Black S50
    LOL, he pulls back into the garage after his test run and his brakes squealed just like mine. Yup, that's the Intruder.

Based on this video it sounds pretty good, may work okay in my neighborhood. Hopefully I'll be a little better craftsman when I do it. As DrBob cautioned, it's good to remember to keep away from the center hole in order to avoid the inner structure, otherwise it turns out a little messy.

My Bike(s)
    2001 Suzuki Intruder vs800
    Hi all. I just got a 2001 intruder. The previous owner had drilled 3 holes in the first baffle on each pipe. I just pulled the plugs and both of them are showing white, indicating that it's running lean. I've been reading up on drilling the pipes on these bikes, and people are saying that all bikes run lean when you drill the pipes except for the vs800, which runs rich. For some reason. It's hard not to assume that it's running lean because of the holes in the pipes. Does anyone have another explanation? Can anyone explain the magical reason why this bike would run rich, even though it's lean from the factory, and all other bikes run lean when you drill holes in the pipes?

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Does it still have a stock air box and air filter ??

Before you panic, I suggest a new set of plugs and a couple of hundred miles and then another check.

I don't think I believe that "runs rich with pipe mods" story.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2001 Suzuki Intruder vs800
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Does it still have a stock air box and air filter ??

Before you panic, I suggest a new set of plugs and a couple of hundred miles and then another check.

I don't think I believe that "runs rich with pipe mods" story.
    Thanks. I do believe they're stock, haven't got to them yet. I replaced the plugs, for sure, and spent half an hour looking at pictures of plugs online... I'm thinking I overreacted, and the amount of white on the electrode is ok. The insulator looks ok too. I was worried about difficulty cold starting and rough idle at start too, but I read that that's the norm for these bikes. I was worried that I bought someone else's problem, but I'm starting to appreciate it for "character". I'm still getting to know this beaut, and with the weather have been reading about it more than riding it since I got it a week and a half ago. Thanks for the reply!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    A healthy dose of a good carb cleaner a couple of times a year is highly recommended.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links