2006 Boulevard S40 - Clutch squealing by Rain/Water contact
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40

2006 Boulevard S40 - Clutch squealing by Rain/Water contact

So, I bought my baby in 2012. It only has 1100 miles on it. Excellent condition. When I have driven the bike in rain or after washing it, the bike squeals while driving. I have noticed that when I Engage the clutch, the squealing stops while I am moving. There is no squealing when I am idling and revving the engine in neutral or in gear with the clutch engaged. As soon as I balance throttle and clutch and begin moving, there is a lot of squealing. The squealing process only when the clutch is disengaged. When the bike is dry and has had no contact to water there is no squealing period. I have noticed minor squealing on heavy humid days with no rain. Other then that the bike drives perfectly fine.

Before I try taking it to a shop, I was hoping I could possibly find some answers here first.
    I did try keyword searching on Google and came up empty-handed. There were some forums for Harley-Davidson's with drive belts experiencing similar issues but, not quite like what I've been having.

Could someone please help?
    Thank you!
    013.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    I think it's the brakes that are squealing. Brake pads are in constant contact with the rotors. Even when you aren't applying any pressure to the brake lever, the pads will be rubbing the rotor slightly.

Now...normally this doesn't make any noticeable noises. UNLESS, the pads are worn and/or the rotors are warped. But, on occasion the brakes will get squeaky and noisy from moisture...rain, washing, humidity, small puddles, etc.

Check for worn pads, warped rotors. Otherwise, it's probably just normal noises from being wet.

This is from many years of brake jobs on cars and trucks. Done a couple brake jobs on bikes, but very limited. In the end, brakes are brakes.

If this turns out to be anything else, I will be very surprised. Best of luck to you!
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    If it was brake squeak it would not go away when he pulled in the clutch, only when he stopped moving.

Rear drive squeal when wet is a very common thing with the Savage/ S40, especially when new or right after the belt was re-installed. It may be a touch too tight, or it may simply not be broken in yet. The little gauge they give you in the tool kit generally makes the belt a little too tight, and I have yet to see one come from the factory with a belt that was not too tight, because they correctly assume the rubber will stretch out once you get a couple thousand miles on the bike.

Try adjusting the belt tension. Make sure both alignment marks are equal. With the bike sitting at a level spot, grab the belt at the bottom center. Try and twist it 90 degrees. If it flops easily and twists more than 90 degrees, the belt is way too loose and you need to tighten it. But I bet your's is not too loose, it is too tight. If you can not twist it 90 degrees, loosen the belt a little, being careful to keep the alignment marks equal so the belt stays in the center of the pulley and does not get torqued against one side of it. The goal is for the belt to be loose enough to twist 90 degrees with your fingers, but not so loose you can twist it more than that.

Also make sure the belt is clean, and some folks have good (if temporary) results with belt dressing or belt lube. Some owners have gone as far as to scuff up the edges of the belt with sandpaper so that the smooth rubber does not "sing" against the lip of the pulleys when it is wet. .
    Last edited by DrBob; 09-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    If it was brake squeak it would not go away when he pulled in the clutch, only when he stopped moving.....
    I read your post. Thank you! I did read that up on a Harley forum site suggesting that the belt is either too tight or to add belt oil for lubrication.

That is interesting. I am a motorcycle nood (yes) so, a lubricated rubber belt sounds odd to me but obviously as you said people use it. I'll have to give that a try thank you!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Most motorcycle shops will have belt lube, as will most auto parts stores- people use it on the serpentine belts on their cars to stop squealing. But check the adjustment before you apply any product.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Most motorcycle shops will have belt lube, as will most auto parts stores- people use it on the serpentine belts on their cars to stop squealing. But check the adjustment before you apply any product.
    Yes, I can check on the adjustments first. If you do know of any good lubes, what would you recommend? I prefer AMSoil for the engine.

My Bike(s)
    boulevard c50
    kinda late but I just loined this forum. anyway, my wife rides the same bike and I noticed the same thing. Noise definitely originates from the belt.. sometimes even when it's cool in the morning. Warms up and goes away. belt lube sounds reasonable.

Sponsored Links