Gman Bully anyone?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Piz
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50

Gman Bully anyone?

I am tempted to get the FI control and maybe the air filter.
    Does anyone have experience with this system?Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    This was discussed extensively last week. Try searching for the thread. Shouldn't be hard to find.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

Piz
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50
    Thanks, I found a discussion.
    A few months ago I put on Vance and Hines. I will get a FI processor, and am wondering if the air filter chance is recommended/worth it.
    Any opinions and or facts will be appreciated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C90 & C50T
    In spite of the other thread, I'm really not brand loyal on most things...especially fuel processors. Yes, I like my Bully and would recommend it for those like me who had a few simple requirements:

- Reasonably Priced
    - Did not require re-mapping or downloading software to make the unit work properly
    - Plug and play (literally)
    - Decent to good customer support

Gman and most all of those who distribute the Fi2000 (just about every motorcycle aftermarket retailer) do a pretty good job on support so they were the top condendors for me. At the end of the day I opted for the Bully because for a little more it offered me adjustments on the fly if I wanted. I could monitor (basically) my fuel response too. Finally I like supporting small business (and local if possible) where I can. The other bigger companies don't need nor really appreciate my business...but Gary (Gman) does. It was a pretty easy decision from there.

No doubt your criteria will vary to mine but to date my Bully has served me well. I mounted it on the handlebar risers (Bully Mount) where I can see and tweak it at will. But many just tuck it away someplace and never mess with it too. It's entirely up to you how or where you'd like to mount it. I will admit it takes a little getting use to. Meaning there are so many adjustments you can make that understanding what each does to tailor it to your bike and riding takes some practice and thought. Or, you can just set it to the defaults Gman has plugged in (and recommends for your bike) and ride if you want. I've seen many do it every which way. Again, it's entirely up to what you'd like to do with it.

Most bikes could probably get by without an aftermarket fuel processor with just adding exhaust. I ran my VL1500 without for quite awhile but the deceleration popping annoyed me some. It wasn't real bad but still ran lean which I didn't like. Only reason I added one in fact was to richen up my fuel mixture, not to add performance. My VL1500 already has plenty for my liking. The heat generated by a too lean of fuel mixture can't be good for the motor...especially one that only has air/oil cooling like my VL1500. On my C50 I plan on adding a Bully down the road as well...but all I've done so far is add exhaust that has adiquate back pressure so it's lean condition isn't nearly as severe. Plus it's liquid cooled. It runs pretty well without and while not a power house, does a decent job.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Larry

Piz
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50
    Thanks Larry,

Is the gman mount bracket a necessary component? I probably would like to mount the unit on the bars.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Piz View Post
    I will get a FI processor, and am wondering if the air filter chance is recommended/worth it.
    Any opinions and or facts will be appreciated.
    In my not so humble opinion, you should STOP at the pipe change........and if they are really LOUD you should consider putting some baffles in them.

The "fuel processor" really isn't worth the money as the gains with stock or just pipes is minimal.
    If you screw with the air intake, it might be required but again real gains in performance are more perceived than real.

If you REALLY want a bike with more power, trade up to one instead of wasting your money on questionable add-ons.
    There is a chance that all of that might make matters worse and not better and often makes it harder to sell later when the time comes.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C90 & C50T
    Thanks Larry,

Is the gman mount bracket a necessary component? I probably would like to mount the unit on the bars.
    If you want to mount it on the handlebars anywhere, then yes the mount Gman offers is probably the easiest option to use (which is why I chose it). But many I know have also made their own, used a Ram, or even velcro'd it someplace handy. Whatever feels right to you.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Larry

Piz
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50
    I bought the package and did the install myself. After about 50 miles I am pleased. The bike has a quicker response, and feels more powerful in acceleration. I have the EFI unit velcrowed on top of the tripple tree.
    Thanks for the helpful comments.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C90 & C50T
    Sweet! Congrats'!!!

Have you played around with the settings any or did you just start with the default settings?

I won't get into the specific details of my adjustments unless you want me to...I'll gladly share them though. Let's just say the improvement when I went to stage 3 was quite noticeable, not imaginary. So much so I eventually dialed it back a notch to stage 2 which fit my riding style better. I'm a flower sniffer generally but like gobs of power when I really need it...and the ability to still squeak out reasonable fuel mileage.

It can be a little confusing for awhile (at least it was for me) on the settings until I played with them some and rode awhile with it. Once I understood which each was doing and why, I was able to tweak them more effectively to my liking. But not everyone cares that much about that and are quite happy to leave it alone. That's okay...whatever works.

BTW, the first time I bought bad fuel the Bully really saved my bacon. The bike stalled in the middle of a busy intersection not 5 minutes after filling up. I knew it was bad fuel...it had to be because the bike was running great before that. I did some tweaking on the settings of my Bully and was able to run some of the fuel out and continue riding. Had I been on my other bike that doesn't have a Bully (yet) I would have likely been calling a tow truck because the bike would not run hardly at all. Gary (Gman) has had at least one similar incident happen to him I'm sure he'll share if you ask. I had never thought simply tweaking things would allow me to continue riding...but it did. Heck, I was just hoping to limp home. I rode it on the interstate for about 70 miles like that until I could get room in the gas tank for more fuel. After adding new fuel I slightly changed my settings back about half way to where I run them normally and ended up burning all the gas out...so a 150+ miles or so I'd guess. I went and filled up again and changed my settings back fully to where I run them. I haven't had the problem since and have not bought fuel at that station again (nor will I). I don't know if they watered down the gas or if it was just old and bad...but whatever the case I was absolutely thrilled the day wasn't a loss. In fact it was a fun ride (although a little boring mostly all interstate) LOL.

Anyway, sorry to bore you with that tid bit but just thought I'd mention it in case some day down the road you experience the same thing (or similar). You'll have something very easy to try first.

Best of luck and thanks for the report.

Larry

Piz
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50
    Thanks Larry. I like that story. Getting stuck somewhere is not what we want, and I can imagine the feeling you had when you changed the settings and were able to go! Big RELIEF!
    I have not changed any settings, yet. First I think I need to learn how the variables change the ride. I am really not clear on the concept.

I live on a rather small island with 2 lane roads. The speed limit gets all the way up to 50mph in some places. I ride daily generally, and mostly for 20 mile round trips.I guess I do mostly 40 to 50 mph, and sometimes up to 6o or 70. I love to feel the acceleration at any speed.

I am interested in what you have learned about the adjustments, and how you learned. So, yeah, anything you want to pass along will have a curious ear.

Thanks,
    Piz

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C90 & C50T
    Hi Piz,

Okay...well, for the most part I did exactly as you...with the exception of adjusting the green +1 from default setting almost immediately. I played with the Green first for a few days of riding and finally settled on +1.

Keep in mind there is one very key difference between our bikes (yours and mine). Your M50 has liquid cooling, my C90 does not. My C90 relies strictly on air/oil cooling only...just like most Harley's on the road. This matters allot because too lean of fuel mixture usually equals excessive heat off the exhaust pipes (burning legs) and a hotter running motor. In my case I opted to add 1 green to my default right away for that reason along with in my area they add allot of ethanol in the fuel blends. More than other parts of the country I think. So by doing that, it helped the motor run a little cooler (and is noticeable). It may not be as critical on your bike is what I'm saying, but then again I'm not 100% sure it wouldn't help either? My C50 sure could use a slightly richer mixture. But it's much warmer in your area which believe me, all of the details begin to add up.

Starting with the instructions, what Gman (Gary) typically does is sets them up bike specific according to the dyno testing, customer feedback, and plain old experience. So for the most part, most won't really need to do allot of tweaking on them in the first place. Here is what the adjustments represent (taken from the instruction manual):

Green Mode. Fuel settings for idle/cruise and is represented by a flashing Green LED.

Yellow Mode. Fuel settings for acceleration and is represented by a flashing Yellow LED.

Red Mode. Fuel settings for full throttle and is represented by a flashing Red LED.

Green/Blue Mode. Adjusts what rpm the Bully comes on line. This adjustment is useful to determine if the Bully is affecting the performance of your bike at low speeds or idle.

Yellow/Blue Mode. Is the Load Based adjustment for the Yellow Fuel mode. Adjusting the Yellow LED to a higher number delays transition from Green to Yellow Fuel Mode.
    (Delaying transition into the Yellow Fuel Mode can increase cruising fuel economy under steady throttle conditions)

Red/Blue Mode. Is the Load Based adjustment for the Red Fuel mode. Adjusting the Red LED to a higher number delays transition from Yellow to Red Fuel Mode.
    (delays transition from Yellow to Red Fuel Mode. (Delaying transition into the Red Fuel Mode can reduce power during full throttle roll-ons, leaving this adjustment for
    the experienced dyno tuner only)

I haven't looked at my settings in awhile but plan on riding tomorrow if the weather holds out. I took the C50 out today instead because it needed to be ridden. LOL But I'll come back and edit this if I'm way off. I don't think so though.

Green - I'm at +1 to default. When I got bad fuel I increased that to +5 if I recall...whatever it took to keep the bike running well enough to ride it.

Yellow - I'm at default +1 to even out response and help me reduce my heavy throttle hand. LOL

Red - I left that at default and probably always will

Green/Blue - I'm at default

Yellow/Blue - I added + 2 to delay the conversion to performance. Most of the time I've entered a long incline as we have tons of hills and mountains here. Mine is set up for fuel economy.

Red/Blue - Default

So as you can see, there really is only a couple of settings you'll probably ever need or want to mess with. The others are there just in case and probably won't ever need tweaking. Your riding preferences will determine where YOU want to set or try them at. But whatever changes you make just remember, you can always go back to where it was in a flash. Ride it awhile with only 1 change at a time. If economy is your goal, Green, Yellow, & Yellow/Blue are probably the ones you'll want to try and adjust a little eventually. Maybe +1/2 or + 1.

If you want response and performance of course, you'll want to surely increase green +1 (in my opinion) ride it awhile to make sure the bike runs well, then minus the Yellow and Yellow/Blue for quicker transitions.

It does take a little getting used to and in time you may or may not find yourself wanting to tailor your processor to your likes. That's the beauty of it...we can in literally a couple of seconds. And generally speaking 1 point doesn't make a huge difference, but often noticeable. So don't be afraid to play with it. In fact, Gary recommends we play with it some in the instructions and after using mine for a couple years now totally agree. Besides, you can always send Gary (Gman) an email or call him on the phone. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable.

Probably not allot of help but in time as you see your Bully do stuff according to your roll on it will begin to make more sense.

Larry

Piz
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50
    Thanks for sharing the details of your experience. That does give me a better understanding of the possibilities. I have not even tried to change anything yet, but I am sure that I will be able to figure that out when I want. Sounds like I need to ride as is for a while to get a good feel for all those variables as they are, and then depending upon my desires, begin to play with the options.Do you know of a good source for learning how these gizmos do what they do, and exactly what they do?
    Thanks again for taking the time to share what you have done/learned. I will probably have some more questions down the road.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C90 & C50T
    Do you know of a good source for learning how these gizmos do what they do, and exactly what they do?
    Hi Piz,

You are quite welcome...glad to help a little.

When you say "gizmos" are you talking about fuel processors in general or each function of the color settings on the Bully? The Bully instructions are pretty clear so I'm guessing you mean fuel processors in general. If that be the case I really don't right off hand...but no doubt you can find some good independent write ups online by Googling some key words. I'll see what I can find also when I get time that I consider a decent read.

And yes, play with the settings (or not)...the choice is totally yours. Just feel confident you can without hosing things up.

Ride safe

Larry

Piz
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki M50
    Yes, correct, the processors generally. i will keep looking for info.
    thanks again for your time, help, and encouragement.
    Piz

have fun, ride smart and safe

Sponsored Links