C50T engine cut off at highway speed...help me diagnose
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

C50T engine cut off at highway speed...help me diagnose

It actually happened twice. First time was this morning. Air temp was about 55 degrees. I was cruising down the interstate at 70 when all of a sudden, the engine shut off. I pulled over and took stock. I have plenty of oil and gas. I dropped the kickstand, shut off the kill switch, and turned the key off. I sat for maybe a minute while I took stock. Then I turned everything on and bam, it started right up.

The later this evening as I was switching into 3rd gear it shut off again. I ran through the same steps and it started right up.

Here are some details on the bike. I bought it from a guy at 30,000 miles and I have put 3,000 miles on it. I changed the oil about 2,000 miles ago, but not the oil filter. I checked my air filter this evening and its clean. I recently put 12" ape hangers on the bike, but haven't got my extended cables yet. I rerouted the stock cables to work properly.

And so, has anyone else encountered this? What should I check?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    The only time I have had that happen was when I was low on gas and leaning caused the gas in the tank to uncover the fuel filter.These bikes aren't like a carbed bike even a short interruption of fuel will cause instant shutdown. Needless to say I don't let it get that low anymore.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    And so, has anyone else encountered this? What should I check?
    Sidestand switch.
    One that is loose or dirty or worn out can do that at random times.

Loose cables on battery or ignition switch or kill switch are less likely culprits.
    Also plugged tank vent causing a vacuum in tank.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    I was considering the sidestand switch, but it did it again this morning, but it happened again as I was shifting gears right when the RPMs drop. I had noticed my RPMs at idle were a little low so I I turned them up a tad. I haven't got to ride it yet, but will soon.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Well, it didn't happen today. I did a couple of things in trying to pinpoint the problem.

-I noticed the oil was a within the ok range, but toward the lower side so I added a little oil.
    -I cleaned the sidestand switch by blasting it with a can of air.
    -I had also noticed my RPMs sounded low to me. I increased the idle a little. (Twice it died when shifting as I let off the throttle.)
    -I finally disconnected the battery and reconnected to let anything that needed it, reset.

On a ride today I had no stalls. Let's hope this worked.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    On a ride today I had no stalls. Let's hope this worked.
    Good start. I'd also recommend a dose of multi-purpose fuel system treatment....just incase this all was caused by a bad tank of gas.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    I am beginning to think its a fuel thing. It started doing it again and this time it sputtered a bit and when I revved the throttle, I could hear clicking but the engine didn't respond.

Also, I have noticed that even though I turned up the RPMs, the engine response is rather week. I may have to take her in to mechanic.

My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard c90T
    Check the springs on your side stand. They may be sprung.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RREEDH View Post
    Check the springs on your side stand. They may be sprung.
    It wouldn't sputter if it was this.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Try the fuel system cleaner first would be my advice....no point in paying for that advice from a mechanic and if it does nothing you're out of pocket less than ten bucks.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Ok, I tried the fuel injector cleaner. Still doing it. This time it stalls before I hit the clutch, while accellerating. And it is not the kickstand. Its tight in place. What's next?

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    The gas treatment is not an instant fix. It usually takes a while to make a noticeable difference.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    It wouldn't sputter if it was this.
    Bad assumption.
    If the switch is just on the ragged edge of failing, it can be intermittent and cause it to fail to run (right) in several different ways.
    Also the contacts can go bad such that a change in vibration can cause it to sometimes fail and not others.......despite being mechanically sound.

Note that I did not recommend "injector cleaner" but something designed to help remove water and other contaminants.
    Some cleaners will; some won't.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 05-18-2015 at 07:33 AM.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    You also may need to leave the cleaner in overnight....run the engine to get it into the system then leave it to soak overnight at least.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard S50/VS800
    i'm having the same problem right now on my 2005 s50! in addition to cutting off at cruising speed, it also cuts off when i engage the clutch. on top of this, it sometimes won't start without me moving the bike back or forward, and when it runs, it sometimes starts to act as if there is no fuel, choking and backfiring. this was with a half-full tank of 87 octane.

a friend said it sounded like bad fuel, so i put in some stabilizer and filled the tank to the top with 93 octane. the same problems came up after a short while. I'm hoping what aloraptor said is true, i haven't ridden it again since refilling it and running into problems again. if this doesn't work I'm going to try hooking up the battery to a tender for a while, to see if its a low battery thing.

any other ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links