C90 shudders when accelerating away in each gear
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2015 C90 Boulevard

C90 shudders when accelerating away in each gear

My second post ! Took my brand new C90 out for its first runand rode some 200 miles. As tight as the motor would be,it really does purr at highway speeds, especially in 4th and 5thgears.
    This is my first cruiser. My other bike is aTriumph Bonneville 865cc, and with good technique, gear changes gear arequite smooth. I can now see what others mean about the ‘clunk’when changinggear in the Boulevards.
    What I’m more concerned about though, is theshuddering when accelerating after the gear changes, even if changing at a reasonable speed. I found I needed to use a gentle throttle to keep the shuddering to a minimum.
    I don’t ride the Suzie like my Bonnie (which isdesigned to get its power from higher revs), and knowing the max torque on the Boulevards isavailable at quite low revs, I ride pretty sedately. I have been changing around 20mph, 40mph, 60mph (4th) so am I changingat too low a speed in each gear, or is there any truth in the story that thetiming is deliberately retarded in the lower gears. I really miss a revcounter.
    By the time I’m changing into 4th around 60mph (or higher), there is no real shudder when accelerating in either4th or 5th.
    So, am I being too pedantic, or will I need to change myriding habits, or maybe fit one of those TRE devices ?
    Any comments appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Brand new ?
    Take it in for a warranty visit.

Your shift points don't indicate a "lugging" problem so it could be a mis-fire condition or a chattering clutch.

I think you should NOT ride it much until you get this checked out.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2015 C90 Boulevard
    Hmmm....never thought it could be a clutch problem, I will get the dealer to look at it. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2015 C90 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Brand new ?
    Take it in for a warranty visit.

Your shift points don't indicate a "lugging" problem so it could be a mis-fire condition or a chattering clutch.

I think you should NOT ride it much until you get this checked out.
    Thanks Easy Rider.....I took my bike to the dealer and after they took it for a run, it turns out it's not a clutch or timing problem, more likely my riding style ! (maybe I haven't adapted from the close-ratio 5 speed gearbox on my Bonneville, to the very tall 5 speed 'box on the boulevards......

By the way, I've seen a lot of info about how useful TRE's (Timing Retard Eliminators) can be......apparently the ignition timing for the lower gears on the boulevards is deliberately retarded - any thoughts on that ? Thanks.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrealty View Post
    By the way, I've seen a lot of info about how useful TRE's (Timing Retard Eliminators) can be......apparently the ignition timing for the lower gears on the boulevards is deliberately retarded - any thoughts on that ? Thanks.
    My personal opinion is that thinking you can improve on the design of any new vehicle is often expensive, time consuming and ineffective.
    sometimes it even makes matters worse. In a scant few instances it even harms the engine.
    Slippery slope. I suggest NOT getting sucked into the "mod" craze.

If you want to experiment with an engine just for fun and experience, get a beater to work on and leave your daily rider alone.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrealty View Post
    These make more sense for a race bike, I don't see much need for them on a cruiser. The cheap ones work by fooling your ECU into thinking it's running in 5th gear, which could cause you to run lean and cause problems for your engine down the road. Anyway. ask yourself, do you really need to accelerate faster in the low gears? If the c90 doesn't have enough power for you, you may have bought the wrong bike for the kind of riding you want to do. If you want a quick cruiser, maybe you should look at the suzuki m109 or honda valkyrie.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Boulevard C90T Boss
    I have a 2013 C90T - experienced the same issue you did. Took the bike in and the dealer checked it out - the same as your guy did.

Bike just uses lower gears. My son rides this thing - and 3rd gear is almost at 50MPH. You really don't get into the higher gears until you are on the highway and cruising. I have seen similar post here.

Now - please be concerned if you are buying a BOSS - the pipes are peeling. Suzuki says my bike is over a year old so they will not do anything. I showed them a youtube of some other guy - same bike as mine - and his is peeling. Still they say..no help. Look at this video at time 4/17. Stop the video and look at the pipes - same place as mine.

This is my second - well, probably my last Suzuki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi1sEsHs1oY

My Bike(s)
    2013 c90t boss
    I have the c90t boss and it's the same. It's just the bike reminding you it's a V twin.

My Bike(s)
    2015 C90 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by xring View Post
    I have the c90t boss and it's the same. It's just the bike reminding you it's a V twin.
    Yep xring, now I'm into my sixties, I'll have to keep in mind that me and the boulevard have one thing in common - the 'boy racer' is NOT part of our daily life.....
    Easy Rider, Turboyoshi and Cycle7447 - thanks for your inputs.

My Bike(s)
    2013 c90t boss
    So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is the nature of the bike. It's a large displacement V twin, and it will shake and shudder at different rpm's. Waaay less than any HD I've ridden. It seems to hit a shaky vibe as it accelerates through the gears, then hits it's sweet spot, which is a little higher than most other V twins. It took me about 1500 miles to get used to it myself. I'm a young 54, so I know what you're saying....
    Last edited by xring; 08-04-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2013 Boulevard C90T Boss
    My Harley does not shake. The Boulevard does - if you are not going fast enough. As I mentioned earlier - nice bike - but don't change gears at low speeds.

what you are experiencing are the power pulses at low rpm... wind it up a little more in each gear and it won't be too noticeable. If you ever rode a big bore single you would have felt a similar sensation when pulling from a low RPM.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    M50's like the higher RPM's as well. Don't try to bog it down and make it sound like a Harley. Nothing sounds like a Harley for a reason.

Simply put...you're shifting too early. That's not a bad thing, the bike likes a bit of throttle before you shift. My M50 doesn't like 5th gear until about 55 or so. I can totally see the C90 not liking 5th until a bit later. Probably 60 or 65 even. It just takes practice and putting on some miles. Your dealer is right...nothing wrong, just adapt your riding style to the new engine and tranny. It'll be smooth as butter before you know it.

And yes, the tranny is gonna have a clunk. It's seems to be a Suzuki trademark. Haven't heard of one that doesn't have that...not everyone likes it, but that's just how they are I guess.

Welcome and enjoy the new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

Sponsored Links