Motorcycle Forum banner

2008 Boulevard C50 Cobra Pipes

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AloRaptor 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. I just bought a used Boulevard, my first cruiser. :D It has Cobra straight pipes on it and although I don't necessarily dislike how loud they are what concerns me is how un-tuned they sound especially while down shifting. I have no idea what was done when the pipes were added. When you do add pipes such as the Cobra pipes is there any additional engine tuning required? I have a feeling the kid just bolted them on.

#5 ·
Put some baffles in those pipes.....PLEASE.

If your guess about the previous owner is correct, you likely will be a LOT happier with the way it runs.......and the people around you will be happier with how it sounds too. :mrgreen:

Can you ask the previous owner what he actually did to it ??

Sometimes just having the idle speed way too low can make things a LOT worse too.

#6 ·
Hi, it has Cobra Drag Pipes. No baffles. :???: I was listening to a few Youtube vids with the V&H quiet baffles. They sounded much better then the cobra standard baffles (on Youtube anyway). Does anyone know if I buy the V&H same dia. baffles will they fit in my Cobra exhaust? I was on the phone with Cobra and they said there baffles really don't baffle at all. I didn't notice much of a difference on Youtube either. I was only hold with V&H too long had to hang up.

#7 ·
and they said there baffles really don't baffle at all.
Most don't really.
The short drag pipes weren't really made to have baffles anyway.
I think you should consider a different set of pipes......or a visit to an independent shop that might could build you some real baffles for what you have.

If you can hold a "baffle" up to the light and see all the way through it, it ain't gonna do much to reduce the noise.

#8 ·
So, I bought the Vance and Hines 2" quiet baffles. They fit my Cobra drag pipes perfectly. Quieted the sound down somewhat, more like a lower growl now but what an improvement on the cracking and popping when backing off the throttle or down shifting. The pipes sound so much more tuned now. The baffles are just slightly less then 2" dia. and 10.25" long. They are a tight fit in my Cobra pipes. Once I got them started going in I used a broom stick to tap them in the rest of the way. I missed lining up the screw holes by a fraction of an inch. Not even sure how I would get them back out to try again to line up the hole so I just left them in there without screwing them in. 50 miles so far and they are staying put.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.