new guy who just bought a quiet bike - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50-Black
    Location
    Oneonta, Alabama
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by davec50 View Post
    drilled some 3/8 holes in the pipes, sounds a little better

    i still may take the plasma cutter to it and pull the baffles though
    GOOD!! Make it the way YOU want it...
    Paul
    2006 M50 Black... Roadburner 2.5 in Street Pro exhaust in black ceramic, Saddleman Explorer seat, first gen Shapemaster chin spoiler, blacked out dash and air intake, John's forward control kit, Memphis Shades Hellcat windshield, Kuryakyn Dually Iso pegs
    2001 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer 1100... Memphis Shades fairing, trunk, factory hard bags, Mustang Wide Touring seat and pillion, Protec driver's backrest, modified exhaust, J&M CB

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Still crazy after all these years

    My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Location
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Posts
    14,169
    I know, it's like trying to teach a pig to sing, but anyhow ...

    Drilling holes in the exhaust just to make the bike louder is foolish, because
    - it can damage the engine (by changing the back pressure of the exhaust manifold)
    - it seriously reduces the resale value of the bike
    - it puts your rights at risk, since it will anger the neighbors and other people who live near the streets you ride on
    - it is illegal in many states.

    I have never understood the "need" for a loud bike. I have ridden with friends who have loud bikes, and it is not pleasant. Riding through a tunnel behind someone with an open exhaust is painful, even through my full-face helmet. The bike is just too loud.

    I live in a small town, on a small road. During the summer, we have loud engines going up and down the road, sometimes as early as 4:00am. In our case, these are the tractors of our neighbors, who are trying to harvest their cherries/apples/plums/whatever before it gets too hot. But we also have a couple of neighborhood kids with mopeds/motorcycles who have modified their exhaust - these kids are in for a heap of trouble if/when we catch them. Modifying the exhaust invalidates the registration where I live, so if you are caught, you get a ticket for riding without a valid registration (which is also seen as a form of tax evasion, so it's not taken lightly). Additionally, if you have an accident, your insurance can refuse to pay, since the bike was not street legal.

    Finally, there are some very fine roads which I can't ride anymore, since the local residents had them closed for motorcycles. The local residents got tired of the drone of motorcycle engines all day long, with frequent screams of sirens from ambulances and police having to go scratch another biker from the road. It reached a point that the local politicians agreed that this was not acceptable, and closed the roads for motorcycles.

    The louder your bike, the more likely that you will make people angry.

    There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me


  4. #18
    Newbie
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by captjaneway3 View Post
    When I had my C50 I debaffled and loved the sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtball View Post
    For me, the stock exhaust is WAY too quiet. My M50 had the "Honest Abe" mod done and it was still too quiet. Road Burner Street Pros took care of that. And no, I'm not some young buck... $399.99 well spent!

    If you just mod the exhaust and not the intake too you should NOT need to install a fuel manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by QZephyr View Post
    You know, that's a good looking bike. Really no sense in changing the exhaust. It's not worn out. Stock aren't as quiet as a lot of people think. Welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by AloRaptor View Post
    Get out and enjoy it while you still have good weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    I know, it's like trying to teach a pig to sing, but anyhow ...

    Drilling holes in the exhaust just to make the bike louder is foolish, because
    - it can damage the engine (by changing the back pressure of the exhaust manifold)
    - it seriously reduces the resale value of the bike
    - it puts your rights at risk, since it will anger the neighbors and other people who live near the streets you ride on
    - it is illegal in many states.

    I have never understood the "need" for a loud bike. I have ridden with friends who have loud bikes, and it is not pleasant. Riding through a tunnel behind someone with an open exhaust is painful, even through my full-face helmet. The bike is just too loud.

    I live in a small town, on a small road. During the summer, we have loud engines going up and down the road, sometimes as early as 4:00am. In our case, these are the tractors of our neighbors, who are trying to harvest their cherries/apples/plums/whatever before it gets too hot. But we also have a couple of neighborhood kids with mopeds/motorcycles who have modified their exhaust - these kids are in for a heap of trouble if/when we catch them. Modifying the exhaust invalidates the registration where I live, so if you are caught, you get a ticket for riding without a valid registration (which is also seen as a form of tax evasion, so it's not taken lightly). Additionally, if you have an accident, your insurance can refuse to pay, since the bike was not street legal.

    Finally, there are some very fine roads which I can't ride anymore, since the local residents had them closed for motorcycles. The local residents got tired of the drone of motorcycle engines all day long, with frequent screams of sirens from ambulances and police having to go scratch another biker from the road. It reached a point that the local politicians agreed that this was not acceptable, and closed the roads for motorcycles.

    The louder your bike, the more likely that you will make people angry.


    hey thanks for looking out

    im not sure how loud you're thinking a c5o boulevard could get with it drilled or debaffled, its not very loud

    luckily in cleveland none of the stuff you mentioned is an issue

    im not a young kid looking to be obnoxious , I'm 35 years old, and want a little rumble in my cruiser

    my wife works for progressive where i have my bike ins, she doesn't think what you mention will be an issue, she is going to double check after the holiday though

    im not sure why you brought up scraping bikers off the road, are people killing them for their loud pipes?


    anyway, i hope no one kills me for it. In the meantime i ride slow and wear a full face so hopefully that will give me some protection from them

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Newbie
    Posts
    8
    i only meant to quote inspiron, not all those quotes

  7. #20
    Still crazy after all these years

    My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Location
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Posts
    14,169
    My point was that the people who live near those streets that we all love to ride are subjected to a whole orchestra of noises - bikes, quads, police, ambulances, helicopters, etc. Anything that we can do to reduce the noise pollution helps to protect our rights, and anything that adds to the noise is putting our rights at risk. Keep that in mind when you say "my bike isn't that loud." It's not just your bike, but ALL of the bikes.

    There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me


  8. #21
    Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    My point was that the people who live near those streets that we all love to ride are subjected to a whole orchestra of noises - bikes, quads, police, ambulances, helicopters, etc. Anything that we can do to reduce the noise pollution helps to protect our rights, and anything that adds to the noise is putting our rights at risk. Keep that in mind when you say "my bike isn't that loud." It's not just your bike, but ALL of the bikes.
    Well said. I like a little rumble from my pipes too, but I respect my neighbors. It's all about courtesy really.

    If you've got straight pipes and ride like you stole it...you'll make some people angry. If you've got stock pipes and ride like you stole it...you'll probably just annoy them a little. Haha!

    The little things matter on some roads. The "well traveled" hot spots especially. Those folks get tired of hearing loud pipes after a while. It doesn't sound as great to them as it does to you.

    Hope that makes sense.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

  9. #22
    Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    677
    Just to let you know.......

    I drilled my pipes. Gave me just that little bit I was looking for without pissing off my neighbors.

    Try four 1/2 inch holes in each back plate before you debaffle. You might be surprised by the sound and it won't cost you anything other than the 2 minutes of your 18volt drill. Drill them and try them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

  10. #23
    Newbie
    Posts
    7
    clothes pins and baseball cards on the spokes might help

  11. #24
    Newbie
    Posts
    7
    I sent you a pm...

  12. #25
    Newbie
    Posts
    7
    I have the Vance and Hines with the stock baffles... my wife can hear me up to 2 miles away when I get on it. I have to wear ear plugs in my helmet it's so loud.

  13. #26
    Supporting Member

    My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by davec50 View Post

    im not sure why you brought up scraping bikers off the road, are people killing them for their loud pipes?
    Yes, it's like a shooting gallery. Your points are determined by the size of the engine.
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

  14. #27
    Super Moderator

    My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    11,999
    Quote Originally Posted by rsymonds View Post
    I have the Vance and Hines with the stock baffles... my wife can hear me up to 2 miles away when I get on it. I have to wear ear plugs in my helmet it's so loud.
    And you don't think that is a problem ????
    I sure do.
    Don't believe everything that you think.


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I bought a new bike . . .
    By 87gsxrnut in forum The Nutshell
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 06:43 PM
  2. I just bought me a bike and..
    By algmike in forum The Paddock
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 10:33 PM
  3. Just bought my first bike and have some ?'s
    By I8URLS1 in forum Sportbikes & Sport-tourers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 01:29 PM
  4. I Bought ANOTHER bike!!!!
    By B_Wayne in forum The Paddock
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 02:34 PM
  5. 1999 maurader 800 exaust modifications?bike too quiet
    By chevy man in forum Mechanics Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 11:05 PM