why suzuki cruisers are not pupular in USA but in the rest of the world - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    I'm on my second Suzuki M50, a 2010 Candy Orange Max and now a 2012 blue one. New Zealand is a biker's paradise, lots of good riding roads. I find my M50 is great for a cruiser on the twisties, it's not a sports bike, but definitely better riding than many other cruisers. We have a 100 km/hr (60 mph) speed limit here and its quite rigorously enforced. But I have no problem keeping up with HDs when group riding, and get annoyed when they back off to 80 km/hr on corners that I take at 110 km/hr.

I started riding at 60 years old here in New Zealand, did about 25,000 km (15,000 miles) on a learner 250 cc cruiser, then did maybe 15,000 km (9000 miles) on my first M50, and probably 20,000 km (12,000 miles) on a Honda ST1100 in Queensland Australia - lots of straight roads, large radius sweeper corners, few twisties, ideal country for the ST1100, once rode nearly 400 km for a burger, and then 400 km back home (500 mile round trip). Now on my second M50 back in New Zealand, have done about 15,000 km (9000 miles) on her in the last year. I find the M50 much better to ride than the C50, definitely better than the Honda Shadow 750 which I found heavier and lower powered than the M50.

I chose the M50 because its a mid size cruiser (in my late 60s I need a lighter bike that I can pick up in case I lay it down) it is comfortable to ride and comfortable for my wife to pillion around town, the instruments are up on the bar and not down on the tank, shaft drive, mag wheels and foot pegs (not a foot plate or spoke polishing sort of guy). The original owner drilled four holes in each muffler plate so she sounds great, I've fitted saddlebags, a 40 Litre top box, a small GIVI screen and have just fitted hot grips. I've always found the local Suzuki agents are great, once when I dropped my learner cruiser and broke the clutch lever, they took a clutch lever off a second hand bike on their forecourt to see me through the weekend and ordered a new one in for me on the Monday.

This could be my last bike, just done her 35,000 km oil and filter change the other weekend, change oil and filters at 7500 km/just under 5000 miles and use synthetic JASO MA-2 motor oil. I commute about 70 km (40 miles) most days to and from work. I get 320 km plus,over 200 miles, per tank and she runs on regular petrol (91 RON/81 MON, maybe that's 86 octane in the States?).

I'd love a 2013 M50, they were available in red and as everyone knows red bikes are faster!
    Last edited by Boulevardier; 08-01-2016 at 06:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2016 Suzuki C90T BOSS
    When I saw this topic, it got me thinking and I just couldn't help but respond. I'm now in my 50's (I'm like a fine wine with age ... lol) and have been riding since 12 and have had all of the Jap bikes at one time or another. Never owned a HD or BMW. etc. No real reason, just never happened.

My first street bike was a 1977 Honda 750 - four K, for you oldies that would remember that model. I have had a number of makes and models over the years, which included sport bikes, dressers and cruisers. In 2003 I bought my first Suzuki Cruiser, which was a VL1500 Intruder and I absolutely loved that bike. I loved it so much I kept it until this season, when I traded for a 2016 C90T Boss.

Why Suzuki over other Jap's, its a feel. They are all good machines with their + and -'s, but there is just something about the Suzuki ride that I personally love. It has the cruiser sitting position, but I stretch out a little more than other models (I'm 6'5", so important) with my Hwy pegs. It has loads of power and has a nice rumble, but not over bearing so I can hear the wind when I ride to help me relax.

I agree, there are no as many Suzuki's on the road here in Canada as well and I credit that to marketing. Suzuki is less aggressive than the other dealers and it shown in their market share in North America. They have an excellent product and I have always gotten excellent service ... so no real explanation as to why.

I have to say, I was looking hard at the M109 as well, given its power and long sitting position. But my wife joins me from time to time and the C90T was a better setup for tandem tour-riding.
    Last edited by uprightshark; 09-15-2016 at 06:21 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links